SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#317884 - 02/28/11 06:40 PM Labelling SD Cards
Tony Deaf Offline

Loc: Staffordshire, England

Good Morning Ivory Ticklers,

Its 2.30am and here I am still burning the midnight oil !!

I now have 8 (2Gb) SD Cards, between my Movie Camera and the KN7000, and will probably amass more !! In both uses, I need to label or mark them in some way to identify what is on them, (Styles, Backings, Recordings, etc..) on the KN7, and similar for the Movie Camera.

I toyed with the idea of cutting a small adhesive label and sticking it on, but would be in deep 'Doo Doo' if the label came off when inserting or removing it from the SD Slots.

How do you mark yours, please ?

Regards,

John

#317889 - 02/28/11 07:31 PM Re: Labelling SD Cards [Re: Tony Deaf]
The Saint Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
Hi Ton y, that is exactly what I do and have not had a problem yet. I use masking tape.
see ya !!
Ray dance

Edited by The Saint (02/28/11 07:32 PM)

#317891 - 02/28/11 07:36 PM Re: Labelling SD Cards [Re: Tony Deaf]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
I do just what you are concerned about. I found small 1/2 by 3/4 inch blank white labels made by Z-International Inc at an office supply store. I've never had one come loose and they are thin enough that they don't get in the way of SD insertion. I put them on the back side (where the contacts are). Not much room to write though.

#317899 - 02/28/11 10:55 PM Re: Labelling SD Cards [Re: Bob Hendershot]
Tony Deaf Offline

Thanks for the speedy response, Bob and Ray,

I have followed your advice, and 'scissored' two floppy disk labels to a slightly smaller size than the SD Cards. Stuck them on, and just used two-letter 'Identifiers' .... 'ST1' = Styles Card 1, 'BA1' = Backing Trax 1, etc.. I found it easier to draw round the SD card with a pen, then write the title', before cutting them up, a tad smaller than the card. And as Bob suggests, stuck them on to the plastic, rather than over the existing brand labels.

Better run off quickly to the bathroom, Ray - you look as if you are 'bursting' - LOL

Cheers & Beers,

John (Always fiddling with something !!) violin

#317908 - 03/01/11 03:57 AM Re: Labelling SD Cards [Re: Tony Deaf]
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
I was a bit concerned about fixing any kind of label on my SD Cards - having in the past had problems with Floppy Disk labels coming partially 'unstuck' and jamming inside the drive.
So I just use a marker pen to write a number on my SD Cards - on both sides - and cross reference the number to a brief description of the content, on a printed list.
Using this method, if I wish to change the content of any Card, I don't need to remove a label - just change the details on the printed list.
I store my SD Cards in small cases which accomodate up to 8 cards, and the printed list is attached inside the lid of the case.

On the subject of adhesive labels, another 'No No' is paper labels on CDs or DVDs...........

#317953 - 03/01/11 12:07 PM Re: Labelling SD Cards [Re: Bill Norrie]
peter b Offline

Loc: nottinghamshire, UK
Hi Bill
That's definitely the best way.
If you have resealable poly bag (about the size of floppy disk)
you can make a card to fit and put all the details on that.
The bag will keep the SD card free of dust etc.

Regards
Peter B

#318215 - 03/03/11 01:10 PM Re: Labelling SD Cards [Re: peter b]
Tony Deaf Offline

I have just come across these SD Storage boxes - Cheap as Chips, and as Bill suggests, you could put a sticker on to the box - perhaps behind each card, or number the recesses, and have a loose card inside, with details of the SD Cards that would just have a number written on them.

Look ..... SD CARD CASE

Regards,

John

#318258 - 03/04/11 06:00 AM Re: Labelling SD Cards [Re: Tony Deaf]
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
They are very similar to the ones I use, with the same capacity of 8 cards. I just fix a label inside the lid with a single piece of 'sellotape' which acts as a hinge.

Love the new Avatar John rotfl

#318310 - 03/04/11 01:44 PM Re: Labelling SD Cards [Re: Bill Norrie]
Tony Deaf Offline

Hi Bill,

Just not as handsome as some of the guys on here !!

I really do look better when I have combed my hair !! Every time the speed camera's flash, I regret not combing it, as well!

I have ordered two boxes - one Blue, one White so that I have one for the Keyboard, and the other for the Camcorder.

Keep smiling.

John

#318360 - 03/04/11 11:34 PM Re: Labelling SD Cards [Re: Tony Deaf]
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
I have two very small plastic boxes one for camera and the other for the keyboard (just right size for SD Cards complete with their case) and like Bill, I use a permanent felt tip pen and number each on their own label and also put a small plain self stick label with the same number on the case that houses the SD Card.

I use the KN SD Explorer Tool to print an Index of what is on each of my cards which is kept in a 4-ring folder along with other information.
My music is marked with the relevant info e.g. 'SDGB1-01 Miller',
'SDGB-02 Xmas' etc.

If I am searching for a particular tune, I go to the Index first to find out which SD Card is storing it, put it in the keyboard, load by number and more often than not, the style is loaded and ready to play before I am "sitting comfortably"

I also have a small case that holds 8 SD Cards which I take with me on 'gigs'

I enjoy hearing how other members work and have picked up quite a few hints and tips over the years. That's the beauty of this site.

Strange this subject should come up for it was only yesterday I saw new Sandisk SD Cards in a local computer store which had a blank space on the label specifically designed for adding your own information and I remember thinking to myself "about time too" - coincidence or what?

Audrey

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online