SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#317387 - 02/22/11 04:28 PM Re: Pirates Carib Performed With Flair on Tyros 4 ! [Re: Diki]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Diki
If you use a velocity switched fast/slow organ sound, you can restrict ALL the velocities to just UNDER the fast vel level, then select the section you want as fast, and just add +1 to the velocities. It works great, and you don't get a big jump in volume when you do it. I've edited a few Roland styles to do that, as you can't use the VK organ section in a style ( rolleyes ) and it works well...

I haven't had a great deal of time editing and assembling style with this new one, but, being able to use SA/SA2 voices in the style parts is definitely a big advantage. There aren't any velocity switched fast/slow organ sounds on the Tyros4 that I know of...but, I will say, that I am going to have a lot of fun with this instrument regarding making (assembling) my own styles.

Velocity control rotary for RH voices isn't anything I'd want either.

Ian

#317393 - 02/22/11 04:49 PM Re: Pirates Carib Performed With Flair on Tyros 4 ! [Re: Scottyee]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Not a big fan of them for playing, either, Ian... but seeing as the style section has no proper Leslie, they do in a pinch.

TBH, I'm still looking around for a discontinued Nord Electro Rack... Very disappointed they stopped making those (and haven't got a rack C1 or Electro3). Tough to beat those red devils!

#317405 - 02/22/11 05:17 PM Re: Pirates Carib Performed With Flair on Tyros 4 ! [Re: Diki]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Diki
Not a big fan of them for playing, either, Ian... but seeing as the style section has no proper Leslie, they do in a pinch.

Actually, the style section in the Tyros4 has several excellent Leslie sims (some even with variable overdrive/distortion)...it's just that I haven't had as much time to spend programming as I'd like.

I managed to get the styles in my S910 to do little beneficial tricks they weren't quite meant to do, so having the more extensive effects in the Tyros4 will certainly be an advantage.

Ian

#317478 - 02/23/11 10:43 AM Re: Pirates Carib Performed With Flair on Tyros 4 ! [Re: Scottyee]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Here is another version played on Americas finest http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9GSSApv568

Enjoy

Bill

#317479 - 02/23/11 11:02 AM Re: Pirates Carib Performed With Flair on Tyros 4 ! [Re: Scottyee]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Or perhaps not for much longer http://www.organforum.com/forums/showthr...ion-to-Malaysia

If true, I hope the workers get a good redundency package

Bill

#317593 - 02/24/11 04:37 PM Re: Pirates Carib Performed With Flair on Tyros 4 ! [Re: Scottyee]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
OK...Realizing a big difference in the arrangments, playing abilities etc....Close your eyes...listen carefully and see which one you think sounds more like a full orchestra. Try to listen to the sound, not the playing.

Lowry:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9GSSApv568

Yamaha:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DshfffItK0k&feature=related

Roland:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wnDAPcoPsk&feature=related

And T4:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZXlxuSWieI&feature=player_embedded

You could probably buy 10 T4's (or more in a couple cases) for the cost of one of those monsters...even though I like them.

Edited by leeboy (02/24/11 04:41 PM)

#317646 - 02/25/11 07:35 AM Re: Pirates Carib Performed With Flair on Tyros 4 ! [Re: Scottyee]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
The PA2XPRO supports that exact function...The velocity trigger can be used as a controller for many things along with leslie speed.
Style controls is cool...you can use vel to trigger start/stop...and others very handy.

#317697 - 02/26/11 06:44 AM Re: Pirates Carib Performed With Flair on Tyros 4 ! [Re: DonM]
Tom NL Offline

Loc: Holland
Originally Posted By: DonM

Is it the best one to suit me? Not sure. I still like the more raw sound of Ketron and Roland a lot.
Drawbacks, for me: It is larger than it needs to be....... .
My lead voice choices are guitars, piano, saxes, organ, harmonica, accordion, fiddle, vibes, and occasionally EP, trumpet, horns, vocal and gimmick special effect sounds. All those are well-represented on Tyros, but then they are on everything, some better some worse..............Probably one of the biggest drawback for me is the unorthodox size and shape, particularly for a 61-note keyboard. It's even hard to find a case that fits it.

Don, I totally understand your considerations. A few weeks ago I mentioned that I ordered a new Tyros 4 and traded in my Korg PA2X-pro. Because I had two very busy weeks, I didn't have a change to post my experiences with it. To make a long story short, I returned the Tyros for a full refund the very next day after playing it for about 4 hours. Luckily they hadn't sold my PA2X yet, so we could undo the whole transaction. Talk about great service!

Why did I return it? Although I tried the T4 for almost 2 hours in the store I was very much underwhelmed when I played it at home. And yes, I have very decent active monitor speakers. The T4 has lots of great sounds and styles. The (soprano) saxes, oboe and some trumpets are better than on the Korg. But the string sounds(!), harmonica, (B3 type) organ sounds and acoustic and electric pianos definitely are not. Especially the acoustic pianos are below par considering the price, at least to my opinion. And I really missed the much discussed live sound of the Korg. I didn't realize this enough when I demoed it in the store. I did like the orchestral and freeplay styles a lot, as well as all the great factory one touch settings. But most of the other styles where definitly not better than on the Korg, a few less good, like the "unplugged" styles which are very good on the PA2X.

What stroke me the most about the Tyros' appearance was it's very different proportions. As you mentioned it has a very unortodox shape, that I just did not notice that much until I had it at home, sitting in the same room as my PA2X. I know sound is most important, but this was a big step back from the sleek PA2X which I still consider the best looking arranger at the moment.

I know I must sound like spoiled child, but I can perhaps explain it best by saying that I realised what a great sounding keyboard the PA2X actually still is. And how nice those bigger 76 semi weighted keys are to play. This whole thing was a lesson in appreciating what you have. luckily for me not an expensive lesson, but still...

Don't get me wrong, I think it is great that so may people have so much fun with their Tyros 4. It's just not for me as it turned out.

Edited by Tom NL (02/26/11 06:52 AM)

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online