SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#317423 - 02/22/11 07:48 PM Looking for a cable.
mikey_maestro Offline

Loc: San Tan Valley, AZ
I have a couple XOR mic cables that have a red small cough switch on the end of the female side. I have them in 10and 15 feet. I'm looking to buy some as a backup for a good price. I don't see these much anymore especially in the sizes I'm looking for 10 and 15. If you see these around or have seen them in the past somewhere, could you post a link or let me know who has them.

#317424 - 02/22/11 07:49 PM Re: Looking for a cable. [Re: mikey_maestro]
mikey_maestro Offline

Loc: San Tan Valley, AZ
Typo, it should read Xlr cables... Stinkin ipad spell check feature always does that

#317425 - 02/22/11 08:05 PM Re: Looking for a cable. [Re: mikey_maestro]
Dnj Offline

http://www.churchaudiosupply.com/

They have been making custom cables for me for years ....
give em a shot.

#317432 - 02/23/11 12:14 AM Re: Looking for a cable. [Re: mikey_maestro]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Unless you are a complete klutz with a soldering iron, it ain't THAT hard to make them for yourself and save a FORTUNE.

Practice a few times with old, bust up cables and connectors, get a feel for how the solder runs, how to clamp everything together so you aren't struggling to do three hands work with two, and you'll probably never need to buy a ready-made cable again...

#317545 - 02/24/11 09:28 AM Re: Looking for a cable. [Re: Diki]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I found this in response to a question on the i'net ... not sure if the directions are correct, but no doubt Diki can tell you ...

Im not really sure if anyone here makes one currently, audiopile might be able to rig one up for you at a decent price, not sure if you count him as a forumite though.

I can tell you how to build one though. You should be able to get parts from any radio shack or a multitude of online dealers. Just get a project box and mount a female and male xlr in it. connect the ground (pin 1) on both connectors. also connect audio + and - (pins 2 and 3) through to both connectors. at this point you basically have a mic cable in a box. Now wire another pair of wires coming from + and - of one of the connectors. Connect these wires to a momentary normally open push button switch. When you press the button + and - will be connected and this is what does the muting.

You should be able to do this pretty easily with basic soldering skills, you can probably dig up some screw terminal xlrs and a crimp connector push button switch otherwise. Or just buy one, your call.

Here's a link to the site, which also offers some other suggestions ...
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/archive/index.php/t-1510736.html

Edited by tony mads usa (02/24/11 09:30 AM)

#317552 - 02/24/11 10:13 AM Re: Looking for a cable. [Re: mikey_maestro]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Mikey,

Most of the stores that carry them sell 20-footers. The price is about $25 for one at the stores near me. GC may have them a bit cheaper. The cost of the XLR connector alone with the built in switch ranges $10 to $12 from online sources. By the time you add the cost of the wire, another XLR connector and your time, it's less expensive to buy one. Check out http://www.amazon.com/Peavey-Ft-Black-Cable-Switch/dp/B0047XGZ5K

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online