SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#317215 - 02/21/11 02:28 PM Re: Pirates Carib Performed With Flair on Tyros 4 ! [Re: Tony Hughes]
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes
Originally Posted By: Diki
Not to put a dampener on anyone's enthusiasm, but if you have to buy a NEW, TOTL arranger to fire up your creative juices (after only one year of ownership of your previous arranger), that can get to be a very expensive habit (unless maybe you get them at cost!).

I STILL have the odd 3am session with my G70, and I've had it for nearly six years, now...!

Make the juices come from YOU rather than the gear, and you can save a boatload of money! wink

Diki,

Your G70 will never ever sound anything like the T4 no matter what you do with and at what time of the day you you do it. Most people would never keep a car for 6 years and certainly not a KB that's why so many T2 & T3 are on the market secondhand, I had a G70 for a short while and frankly I didn't rate it at all, but who am I but a sniveling creature of little consequence when it comes to KBs, I kneel before you. What I will say the G70 will go well with a CRT TV. It is about that era. I have a box of ECL82 if you want some.

I have a car of 20 years old smile And I hope a Roland would never sound like a Tyros 4 because I like the Roland sound more.

#317216 - 02/21/11 02:34 PM Re: Pirates Carib Performed With Flair on Tyros 4 ! [Re: leeboy]
FransN Offline

Originally Posted By: leeboy
Scotty...you got it!
I don't know why people talk $4k or $5k for a T4 or a PA3X.
I paid $3,200 for my PA2XPRO, way below MSRP.
Just like if your looking for a wife or GF...you got to shop around (Martha and the Vandells's?)

Shop around what you like but a Tyros 4 still cost 3500 Euro in the Netherlands and that is using a currency converter about 5000 dollar.

#317237 - 02/21/11 04:53 PM Re: Pirates Carib Performed With Flair on Tyros 4 ! [Re: Scottyee]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
About 2300 Euro here in US.

#317240 - 02/21/11 05:00 PM Re: Pirates Carib Performed With Flair on Tyros 4 ! [Re: leeboy]
FransN Offline

I need to come to the US then smile

Edited by FransN (02/21/11 05:01 PM)

#317243 - 02/21/11 05:22 PM Re: Pirates Carib Performed With Flair on Tyros 4 ! [Re: Scottyee]
leeboy Offline

I used a ratio of 1.5 Euro = $1.
I think that is close.

#317245 - 02/21/11 05:38 PM Re: Pirates Carib Performed With Flair on Tyros 4 ! [Re: Scottyee]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Wow, that song in the OP might be the best recording I've ever heard played on arranger. And that cat can play. The T4 sounds amazing for that style of music. Sheesh!

#317266 - 02/21/11 09:25 PM Re: Pirates Carib Performed With Flair on Tyros 4 ! [Re: ianmcnll]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Originally Posted By: Diki
Ian, my G70 doesn't provide me with inspiration and creativity. I consider it MY job to provide that for myself.

Those 3am sessions come because I have a musical idea I want to try out, not that my arranger has a style or sound I want to jam on. You can only do that until familiarity tires you of the novelty. And, by reading much on this forum, that's usually no more than a year...

Of course it's YOUR job.

That's why you are a musician.

The novelty factor varies greatly...for some it's a year, for others it's two...and then there are those who are forced to keep their current arranger because they really can't afford a new one, even though they'd love to be using the latest and greatest, and some might say, the best sounding instruments.

Why is it so important to you how long someone else keeps an arranger, or how much money they spend?

Isn't that an individual preference based on many factors, only one of which is cost?

Certainly, one hopes they need not justify buying an arranger out of sync with what time cycle you think it should be?

For most people, an arranger is not a work tool...it is a hobby.

Let's say, after the initial cost of his first arranger, Joe Blow buys a new arranger every year, and it costs him $1000 (probably less) in the difference...that's $83 and change a month, and about $20 per week.

Not bad for being able to enjoy a great hobby, and to also have the latest instrument to play.

I'd say golf would be more costly...heck, even fishing could be more money.

Ian

Being a golfer and a fisherman, I can readily attest to that!
However, as great as the T4 sounds, there are still sounds and styles on the old long-in-the-tooth Rolands that are better or just as well-suited to certain songs and genres--especially the drums. IN MY OPINION of course, and Diki's as well I suppose, since he has one.
I have always bought what I consider will make me sound the best, without compromising operating features and ease of transportation. And, entertaining being my occupation, cost is not a factor (it's a matter of priorities).
Right now there are so many great choices that I wish I could have Audya, T4, BK7m, Korg PA3X all in the stable, probably in that order. However I have come to realize that I can please audiences with any of them, and it doesn't matter a hill of beans to them. They want music they can recognize, dance to, sing along with and to which they can enjoy listening.
So, again, it's great to have so many choices. Lately I've been entertaining them with the lowly Roland E50 and the next step will most likely be trying the BK7m. If I run across a killer deal on a T4 who knows, and I almost certainly will always have a Ketron in the arsenal, just in case I want to sound like a REALLY live band. I'm waiting on AJ to finish his latest project. He says it will knock your socks off even farther from your feet than the current Audya.
You have to decide what suits YOU and your style and your needs, then go for it. I think it's fun anticipating what's next, like waiting to open Christmas presents is for little kids.
DonM

#317273 - 02/21/11 10:19 PM Re: Pirates Carib Performed With Flair on Tyros 4 ! [Re: DonM]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: DonM

Let's say, after the initial cost of his first arranger, Joe Blow buys a new arranger every year, and it costs him $1000 (probably less) in the difference...that's $83 and change a month, and about $20 per week.

Not bad for being able to enjoy a great hobby, and to also have the latest instrument to play.

Ian

However, as great as the T4 sounds, there are still sounds and styles on the old long-in-the-tooth Rolands that are better or just as well-suited to certain songs and genres--especially the drums. IN MY OPINION of course, and Diki's as well I suppose, since he has one.
I have always bought what I consider will make me sound the best, without compromising operating features and ease of transportation. And, entertaining being my occupation, cost is not a factor (it's a matter of priorities).

You have to decide what suits YOU and your style and your needs, then go for it. I think it's fun anticipating what's next, like waiting to open Christmas presents is for little kids.
DonM

Hi Don,

Most people who are into playing arrangers for a hobby, and, more accurately, for pure personal entertainment consider it a reasonably priced pursuit. Most of my clients are home players, and most like to change up every few years.

Why? Simply, in most cases, it is because they can.

Just like fisherman getting the latest gear, or golfers buying the hottest driver, they simply want the best that's out there...is it a money making decision? Well, maybe with golf if you're a pro, but, in the other cases, it isn't a critical career choice...it is simply a personal one.

I'm not sure if you said you've played a Tyros4, Don...I'm thinking you haven't.

I can tell you I got a surprise, and, it's not often that happens, as I'm a bit jaded after a lot of years on these things.

It's a long time since I sat down and played well into the night purely for playing pleasure...sort of like the taxi driver who doesn't want to be near a car on his days off, I played usually with a purpose, and usually related to work.

The Tyros4 had me hooked almost immediately.

I'll be very interested in your impressions of the Tyros4, Don.

Yes, there are sounds and styles on the "long in the tooth Rolands" (and Ketron too) that suit certain things best...but, this Tyros covers more genres better than any Tyros before...really! I know you are into guitar emulations (and pretty damn good at them you are)...the guitars and the Country styles on the Tyros4 are pretty impressive...the guitars especially.

"Finger Amp"(two pickup solid body played finger picking), "Semi Acoustic", and "Single Coil Clean" are some of the SA sounds you just have to try, Don. Yes, technique is a big part of guitar emulation, but with sounds like these, you just might have a bunch of pickers looking at you as major competition.

I find the new drum kits are excellent, and the older CD quality sound is still there, but, it has a much beefier sound than before...the Tyros3 had the beefier sound, but seemed to lose the sweetness...the Tyros4 lacks neither.

So, I hope to hear your feelings about the instrument after you've had a good play, and hopefully in the near future; and, maybe this Tyros will be "the one" for you...I do know, it is for me. smile

Ian

#317277 - 02/21/11 11:03 PM Re: Pirates Carib Performed With Flair on Tyros 4 ! [Re: ianmcnll]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM

Ian

DonM

Hi Don,

Most people who are into playing arrangers for a hobby, and, more accurately, for pure personal entertainment consider it a reasonably priced pursuit. Most of my clients are home players, and most like to change up every few years.

Why? Simply, in most cases, it is because they can.

Just like fisherman getting the latest gear, or golfers buying the hottest driver, they simply want the best that's out there...is it a money making decision? Well, maybe with golf if you're a pro, but, in the other cases, it isn't a critical career choice...it is simply a personal one.

I'm not sure if you said you've played a Tyros4, Don...I'm thinking you haven't.

I can tell you I got a surprise, and, it's not often that happens, as I'm a bit jaded after a lot of years on these things.

It's a long time since I sat down and played well into the night purely for playing pleasure...sort of like the taxi driver who doesn't want to be near a car on his days off, I played usually with a purpose, and usually related to work.

The Tyros4 had me hooked almost immediately.

I'll be very interested in your impressions of the Tyros4, Don.

Yes, there are sounds and styles on the "long in the tooth Rolands" (and Ketron too) that suit certain things best...but, this Tyros covers more genres better than any Tyros before...really! I know you are into guitar emulations (and pretty damn good at them you are)...the guitars and the Country styles on the Tyros4 are pretty impressive...the guitars especially.

"Finger Amp"(two pickup solid body played finger picking), "Semi Acoustic", and "Single Coil Clean" are some of the SA sounds you just have to try, Don. Yes, technique is a big part of guitar emulation, but with sounds like these, you just might have a bunch of pickers looking at you as major competition.

I find the new drum kits are excellent, and the older CD quality sound is still there, but, it has a much beefier sound than before...the Tyros3 had the beefier sound, but seemed to lose the sweetness...the Tyros4 lacks neither.

So, I hope to hear your feelings about the instrument after you've had a good play, and hopefully in the near future; and, maybe this Tyros will be "the one" for you...I do know, it is for me. smile

Ian

Look chaps,

I am not going to lock horns with anyone on SZ about new cars or Kbs, what I hear when someone who can play, plays the T4 is different than what I have heard on any other KB played, perhaps Ians ears and mine are different, perhaps it's not our ears at all but our brains which are different, our receptors hey. But something else kicks in, how many G70, Audya, MS, (Wersi,ha,ha)have been sold WW compared to the T range, don't even try, Yamaha have something the others don't have, metal or plastic it don't mean a ting. Yamaha have the ability to make, market and sell KBs in big numbers and that is the truth, if someone can find the numbers sold can we have it.

Edited by Tony Hughes (02/21/11 11:16 PM)
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#317298 - 02/22/11 07:03 AM Re: Pirates Carib Performed With Flair on Tyros 4 ! [Re: Scottyee]
leeboy Offline

Tony,
I agree...I am starting to realise what you just said. And it is hard to explain.

I guess one comment is: Some folks could care less about going to hear a full orchestra play some beauitful music, and some like me LOVE IT!

I think T4 is more like a full ochestra. Folks that play for a group may not like it as well as some instruments that are more dance oriented (not that Tyros can't do that).

Anyway, that's the bestI can describe it.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online