SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#317106 - 02/20/11 03:41 PM Re: Pirates Carib Performed With Flair on Tyros 4 ! [Re: Scottyee]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I'm already impressed, Ian. Don't get me wrong. But I have heard demos by talented players on many other arrangers, that if they leverage the best the arranger can do, and stay away from its weaknesses, sound just as impressive.

Korg's do great smooth jazz. Ketron's pop dance beats are hard to beat, Roland's do some pretty punchy rock, none of them are dogs, IMO!

It still comes down to the style, more than anything, I feel...

#317110 - 02/20/11 04:09 PM Re: Pirates Carib Performed With Flair on Tyros 4 ! [Re: Scottyee]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Yes, there's no doubt style does play a major part.

Still, I also assess an arranger by how much it inspires me when I play it...I think that what's impressing me most about this Tyros4.

Not just styles sounding like a particular tune, but styles that you want to try on a new tune...and, styles that by simple editing, can sound the way I want them to sound, so my playing on a Tyros4 isn't exactly like someone else on the same instrument.

I also feel that it's hard to buy a bad-sounding arranger these days, although, unless the player can use the styles, with their impressive intros and endings, to showcase their talents, not the instrument's, there can be some disappointing performances.

I don't know about you, but one of the things that kind of irritates me, is someone using a big flashy intro, and then coming in with a barely adequate and poorly phrased single note melody...a big letdown, in other words. Or a big song specific intro, and then a completely different song...maybe it might work for shock value I suppose.

I hope you get to try a Tyros4...it's in the playing of this instrument that you'll appreciate these super new SA/SA2 voices and some really kickin' styles.

I ain't been gettin' much sleep the past week or so ...I've even got up in the middle of the night to play a tune that was itchin' to be worked on...haven't done that in awhile.

Ian

#317115 - 02/20/11 04:31 PM Re: Pirates Carib Performed With Flair on Tyros 4 ! [Re: ianmcnll]
DAN.2000 Offline

Loc: FRANCE
Hi !!

I just loaded the Tyros 4 MovieSoundTrack.prs style into vArranger played on my Ketron SD4.

I recorded some chords, and moved thru the intros, variations Fills and ending.

Listen to the final MP3 :

http://www.varranger.com/demo/vArrangerTyros4MovieSoundTrack.mp3

It's amazing !! Yamaha styles are incredibles. Played on Ketron gear is.... what do you think...??

Dan
https://www.varranger.com

#317116 - 02/20/11 04:47 PM Re: Pirates Carib Performed With Flair on Tyros 4 ! [Re: ianmcnll]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
I ain't been gettin' much sleep the past week or so ...I've even got up in the middle of the night to play a tune that was itchin' to be worked on...haven't done that in awhile.

Ian

And that's exactly how you want a new keyboard to inspire you !!!! woot

#317118 - 02/20/11 05:29 PM Re: Pirates Carib Performed With Flair on Tyros 4 ! [Re: Tony Hughes]
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes

How the hell anyone sells KBs against the T4 is beyond me, it never fails to surprise me and the people who play them.

I have seen yet nothing to beat it for a full overall sound.

I know most of you don't like this kind of music but I am more impressed with this Vangelis Chung Kuo song. Played and programmed on a keyboard that cost 6 times less then the Tyros 4.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj5ljPNNNx4&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

#317119 - 02/20/11 05:38 PM Re: Pirates Carib Performed With Flair on Tyros 4 ! [Re: FransN]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: FransN
Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes

How the hell anyone sells KBs against the T4 is beyond me, it never fails to surprise me and the people who play them.

I have seen yet nothing to beat it for a full overall sound.

I know most of you don't like this kind of music but I am more impressed with this Vangelis Chung Kuo song. Played and programmed on a keyboard that cost 6 times less then the Tyros 4.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj5ljPNNNx4&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Yes, very impressive Frans...and on a PA-50 (Korg) no less. Beautiful sounds and some very cool stuff going on.

One can only begin to imagine how utterly awesome this would sound played on a Tyros4...a keyboard that costs 6 times more than the PA-50.

A more realistic comparison would be a PA3XPro and a Tyros4 playing the same tune....that I'd be anxious to hear.

Thanks for sharing that neat music...I like it!

Ian

#317120 - 02/20/11 05:42 PM Re: Pirates Carib Performed With Flair on Tyros 4 ! [Re: ianmcnll]
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Yes but what I want to say is that the overall sound of even a Korg PA50 is very good. And that every brand has his strong and weak points. You don't need a keyboard of $5000 to sound good.

#317126 - 02/20/11 06:50 PM Re: Pirates Carib Performed With Flair on Tyros 4 ! [Re: FransN]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Yes but what I want to say is that the overall sound of even a Korg PA50 is very good. And that every brand has his strong and weak points. You don't need a keyboard of $5000 to sound good.

Exactly .... it is all in how you use it. I still use a PSR-550 and it can still sound great as old as it is.

#317129 - 02/20/11 07:20 PM Re: Pirates Carib Performed With Flair on Tyros 4 ! [Re: FransN]
ianmcnll Offline

I totally agree, my friend.

I thought the PA-50 was very impressive, especially considering the price.

Here's how I see it...

I don't need a keyboard of $5000 to sound good, but I want a keyboard of $5000 because of the overall increase in sound quality, and, I want the best I can afford.

I played a PSR-S910 all last year, and it was a fine instrument, but after playing the Tyros4, I am very impressed and attracted to the extra sound quality.

I would say that sometimes the difference in price from a mid-range keyboard to a top-line keyboard is not always justified, because the increase in sound quality is not directly porportional, but, in the case of the Tyros4 vs. the PSR-S910 (or PA-50), in my opinion, it is worth the extra cost.

Having said that, if I was unable to afford a top-line instrument, or I just didn't want to spend the kind of money it takes to get one, I'd be perfectly happy playing an PSR-S910 for all my musical needs.

Ian

#317132 - 02/20/11 08:17 PM Re: Pirates Carib Performed With Flair on Tyros 4 ! [Re: FransN]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I concur that the overall sound of most all of today's arrangers is very good (including the PA50), but I also believe, if you can afford it, there's a substantial sound improvement, plus gaining many worthwhile new/improved features when you opt for the TOTL model. Bottom line: get the keyboard model that best meets your needs and budget.

I also want to point out that nobody on this forum residing in the US should be paying even close to $5000 dollars for either a Tyros 4 or the 61 note Korg Pa3X. Fact is, the actual 'street price' for them is more around $3400, with the difference between them relatively close. I purchased my Tyros 4 from Synthzone member dealer Frank Ventresca (AudioWorks) and recommend him highly. cool

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online