SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#316650 - 02/16/11 04:11 AM bose compact question
mikey_maestro Offline

Loc: San Tan Valley, AZ
It's been about a year now that this has been out? Anyone experiencing any problems with build quality or sound quality issues. do you love it still as much as you do as whan you first powered it up?

I'm considering one in the summer. I already have a tonematch so that should make it sound even better.

#316653 - 02/16/11 06:18 AM Re: bose compact question [Re: mikey_maestro]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
No trouble with mine, no build quality issues at all. It still sounds as good as the day I unboxed it.

#316662 - 02/16/11 08:51 AM Re: bose compact question [Re: mikey_maestro]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I use two of them every night and have for the past couple of years. No problems at all except in extreme temperature changes, like going from freezing to warm, the extensions were very hard to get apart. I got some silicon spray and I wipe some on occasionally and that solved the problem.
I think if you use a Yamaha arranger, you will prefer using two of them because of the way Yamaha doesn't sum the stereo parts to mono very well.
DonM

#316664 - 02/16/11 10:02 AM Re: bose compact question [Re: DonM]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I have one compact and only use for very low volume solo gigs/home practice. I find vocals distort at even a moderate volume. I do have a Tyros 2 so maybe that's part of the problem?
In short I'd never buy another one.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#316665 - 02/16/11 10:09 AM Re: bose compact question [Re: mikey_maestro]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Mikey,
I own a Standard Classic L1 and two Compact L1s and have used the compacts on all kinds of gigs with no sound or volume issues. Sometimes I use one of the compacts and sometimes I use two of them. It seems like it really doesn't make much difference from the audience point of view.

I have used mine with both a Tyros 3, a Tyros 4, a Korg PA2XPro and they sound great with all of the keyboards.

I have absolutely no regret about buying them.

Hammer

#316668 - 02/16/11 11:07 AM Re: bose compact question [Re: mikey_maestro]
124 Offline

I recently bought an L1 II with the Tonematch and a B1 sub, so I can't yet comment on the durability aspect. I've used the system on two gigs so far, one a fairly large hall for an older age group of about 150 people, and it did the job with ease. I had my main volume and accompaniment volume sliders on the Pa1XPro at about 75%, the gain on the Tonematch at 50%, and the master volume on the Tonematch at 50%. There was plenty of headroom had I needed it. So, no regrets at all from me.

#316673 - 02/16/11 11:58 AM Re: bose compact question [Re: mikey_maestro]
moldmaker Offline

Loc: Illinois
I've used my bose compact for over a year without any issues at all. I am very happy with the portability, ease of set up & most of all, the sound that I get.
Wally

#316683 - 02/16/11 01:43 PM Re: bose compact question [Re: montunoman]
DonM Offline

Originally Posted By: montunoman
I have one compact and only use for very low volume solo gigs/home practice. I find vocals distort at even a moderate volume. I do have a Tyros 2 so maybe that's part of the problem?
In short I'd never buy another one.

I can't get mine to distort, without turning the input WAY too high. Be sure and check all levels. I usually run the Compact control at noon, then control the volume from the keyboard or mixer. I can get REALLY loud without distortion.
If you can't, there may be something wrong with your unit. It would be worth a call to Bose. Their customer support is unsurpassed.
DonM

#316684 - 02/16/11 01:43 PM Re: bose compact question [Re: moldmaker]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I purchased the L1 Compact when it first came out, never had problems with anything, build, sound quality, vocals, etc... Everything is in the outstanding category. Same holds true for my standard L1 that I purchased when they first came on the market. If there were just one word to describe the way both I and my audiences say about the L1 Compact, INCREDIBLE sums it up nicely.

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#316688 - 02/16/11 02:17 PM Re: bose compact question [Re: mikey_maestro]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I bought the L1 and compact when they first came out. I love the clear sound and never have had any issues. I sing also and have never had feed back or distortion issues at high volume unless the gain is accidently turned real high.

I would buy them again if they were stolen, otherwise they will probably outlast me.
Bernie

#316704 - 02/16/11 05:52 PM Re: bose compact question [Re: mikey_maestro]
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Love the Compact. Last fall, I added the T1 and it did make a difference. I use the Compact for most gigs, and when I do larger and outdoor venues I chain it with a model II and a couple of B1's and the compact serves as my monitor.
Ciao,
Jerry

Edited by Jerry T (02/16/11 05:53 PM)

#316707 - 02/16/11 06:56 PM Re: bose compact question [Re: mikey_maestro]
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
I use the L1 system and think very highly of it. I've also heard the compact and to me, there's no comparison. Everything is thinner. Its a high quality thin, mind you, but thin none the less. I don't think EQ-ing could make the difference.

I've also discussed this with Bose customer service and their take is basically this.

If you're want a nice fairly low volume sound, then the compact can do a very nice job. If you want any serious volume, and a more full dynamic range of sonic output, then the compact is NOT for you. They suggest something along the lines of the L1...

Some users have combined two compact systems with very good results. I can't speak personally to that as I've never heard it. The guys around here who have done this know what they're talking about.

If you're looking for a single Bose PA to use for high quality arranger use, I would NOT suggest the compact. The L1 will do much better, IMO...

If you're doubling the PA, then either can be very good....

#316710 - 02/16/11 07:19 PM Re: bose compact question [Re: mikey_maestro]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
My take on the Bose (L1 or Compact) with Yamaha Keyboards:
"It's Double or Nothing" laugh

#316716 - 02/16/11 09:12 PM Re: bose compact question [Re: mikey_maestro]
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
I've got the L1 Model II and used it a while on gigs. Even heard a store demo of the Model II next to the compact. The former was far superior, to me. However, I prefer my backing tracks in stereo and my Yamaha arranger in stereo when using it live. So, I got a couple of powered EV speakers and have never looked back. May even sell the Bose. I like the Bose primarily on vocals. The EV's cost about a third of the Bose and can be carried in one trip. The Bose is 4 separate pieces and is not "light" by my standards. Try carrying the Model II up a long flight of stairs with no assistance.

#316738 - 02/17/11 07:17 AM Re: bose compact question [Re: J. Larry]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: J. Larry
I've got the L1 Model II and used it a while on gigs. Even heard a store demo of the Model II next to the compact. The former was far superior, to me. However, I prefer my backing tracks in stereo and my Yamaha arranger in stereo when using it live. So, I got a couple of powered EV speakers and have never looked back. May even sell the Bose. I like the Bose primarily on vocals. The EV's cost about a third of the Bose and can be carried in one trip. The Bose is 4 separate pieces and is not "light" by my standards. Try carrying the Model II up a long flight of stairs with no assistance.

Larry I agree I also dumped the Bose systems bothe of them and went back to Powered 15"s speakers ..

#316748 - 02/17/11 08:03 AM Re: bose compact question [Re: mikey_maestro]
DonM Offline

The Bose systems aren't for everyone. And I'm sure glad!
Way too many people around here have them. Some of them sound almost as good as I do.
smile
DonM

#316753 - 02/17/11 08:19 AM Re: bose compact question [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
The Bose systems aren't for everyone. And I'm sure glad!
Way too many people around here have them. Some of them sound almost as good as I do.
smile
DonM

Love them or hate them too many great choices for sound amplification out there anyway....use what you like I say.

#316760 - 02/17/11 08:32 AM Re: bose compact question [Re: mikey_maestro]
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
I will confess I've returned to using the traditional 15's in stereo for my larger club work.

The Bose is still my PA of choice for my weekly retirement communities, nursing homes, etc. and some of my smaller club work.

#316765 - 02/17/11 09:06 AM Re: bose compact question [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Bill in Dayton
I will confess I've returned to using the traditional 15's in stereo for my larger club work.

The Bose is still my PA of choice for my weekly retirement communities, nursing homes, etc. and some of my smaller club work.

Im not surprised bill at all wink

#316792 - 02/17/11 03:30 PM Re: bose compact question [Re: mikey_maestro]
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Mikey, I've had my L1 Compact for about 18 months and still love it. The base unit looks brand new and the two column extensions still have very secure connections. I have yet to have to turn my unit above 11 o'clock - I'll take that back; I used it outside for a church service in the park. I think I went up to 1 or 2 o'clock for my guitarist. He had no problem being heard in a large outdoor venue.

#316799 - 02/17/11 05:21 PM Re: bose compact question [Re: mikey_maestro]
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
I have had a Compact now for about a little over a year. Have used it many times indoors and out and here's what I enjoy most about it::

- Ease of transport/setup
- Great sound for the effort required to assemble it
- Sound does indeed carry to all corners of the room without being overly loud directly in front

Only drawback to the Compact for me is "no effects". I bet the next version will have them included! smile

Randy

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#316800 - 02/17/11 07:04 PM Re: bose compact question [Re: mikey_maestro]
travlin'easy Offline

Cassp, I too rarely go above the 11 O'Clock position, and tonight while performing for about 90 to 100 folks who love to dance, the 11 O'Clock position was more than enough.

Randy, you may be right about the effects. Of course you could also use an inexpensive mixer with effects for your input device, something along the lines of an Alesis 6FX, which does a great job for both your vocals and that incredible sounding sax.

Cheers,

Gary cool

#316830 - 02/18/11 07:40 AM Re: bose compact question [Re: mikey_maestro]
saxxman Offline

Hi Gary - Thanks for the kind words! I bought the Behringer Xenix 1202....works great and for $108 couldn't resist! Nice effects and a small package...

With today's weather in MD - I bet you are thinking about working on your sailboat! Think I heard that the MD temps are going into the high 60's.... hope that trend continues and you and your lovely spouse are soon out on the Chesapeake enjoying the good life!

Randy

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#316844 - 02/18/11 09:24 AM Re: bose compact question [Re: mikey_maestro]
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Don, Thanks ... silicone spray ... great tip.
Ciao,
Jerry

#316892 - 02/18/11 02:38 PM Re: bose compact question [Re: mikey_maestro]
travlin'easy Offline

I wish I could have been at the boat today. Temperature hit nearly 70, but we still have snow on the ground. I had to work today, but tomorrow, when the weather gets nasty again, I'll be up at the boat trying to clean the hull. The Catalina 27 will be going in the water two weeks from now, and the Morgan 33 Out Island will be going in by the end of April. If you get up this way, Randy, I'll be glad to take you sailing. Just might mix up a big batch of Kickapoo Joy Juice too. wink

Gary cool

#316903 - 02/18/11 03:21 PM Re: bose compact question [Re: mikey_maestro]
saxxman Offline

Hi Gary - thanks so much! Don't believe I've been on a sailboat since 1973! Oh yes, there was that time in 1975 when the wife consented to trying out a "Sunfish" with me. That was until I turned it upside down in the Biloxi channel (got mast stuck on the bottom!). She waited until we were picked up and safely ashore and she calmly said "I suggest we stick to power boats". I could have used a couple swigs of Kickapoo Joy Juice that day! wink

I accept your offer and wish you a wonderful early Spring! I know that boat maintenance is not fun but the rewards are well worth it! Hope your temps stay in the 60's from and above from here on out!

Randy

#316921 - 02/18/11 04:03 PM Re: bose compact question [Re: mikey_maestro]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I learned on a Sunfish, too..! Got many 'happy' memories of capsizing it and bailing out the cockpit afterwards!

The wife and I sailed a lot together, cats, small monohulls, and I also taught her to sail windurfers pretty well, but we only RACED together one time.. An all day 'Round the Bay' endurance race here on Choctawhatchee Bay. We got second in class (Hobie 16's) but she had never seen me in full-on 'race mode' before, double-trapping and riding the cat on the knife edge of capsizing and pitch-poling..! Sadly, that was our first AND last race together!

#316936 - 02/18/11 06:04 PM Re: bose compact question [Re: mikey_maestro]
saxxman Offline

Diki - glad to hear you and your wife were able to have so much fun together in the waters off Destin! This area is indeed a mecca for sailing. My neighbor is a sailor and he's got like 10 boats in the back yard. wink Hope our spring comes soon and lasts long before the heat sets in.

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread! I can tell you that the Bose Compact is definitely NOT to be classified as a "boat anchor". wink

Randy

#316937 - 02/18/11 07:52 PM Re: bose compact question [Re: Jerry T]
DonM Offline

Originally Posted By: Jerry T
Don, Thanks ... silicone spray ... great tip.
Ciao,
Jerry

Jerry, don't spray it on the electrical contacts, just spray some on a cloth and wipe it around the plastic where the pieces fit together.
DonM

#316946 - 02/18/11 09:30 PM Re: bose compact question [Re: DonM]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
The only trophy I won while sailing was called the "Horizontal Cup". Back then, I weighed about 130 or less. I could not keep my 14' duster (now obsolete class) upright in a stiff wind. Maybe if I had a Bose compact on the windward side I could have finished the races perpendicularly (if that is a word). smirk

Eddie

#316972 - 02/19/11 08:14 AM Re: bose compact question [Re: btweengigs]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: btweengigs
The only trophy I won while sailing was called the "Horizontal Cup". Back then, I weighed about 130 or less. I could not keep my 14' duster (now obsolete class) upright in a stiff wind. Maybe if I had a Bose compact on the windward side I could have finished the races perpendicularly (if that is a word). smirk

Eddie

Horozontal Cup?.....sounds very sexy wink taz

#316996 - 02/19/11 12:26 PM Re: bose compact question [Re: mikey_maestro]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
A G70 would have kept you upright in a hurricane, Eddie!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online