SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#316532 - 02/15/11 01:12 AM Re: Quality OMB accompaniment. It doesnt get better [Re: spalding1968]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I used one of these very rare instruments for several years, back in the day when organ music itself was still popular.

It required a van, ramps, dollies, patience and planning...I no longer have the first three, and not quite the same amount of the latter two today...carrying and setting up a Tyros (or PSR), two 25 lb speakers, a heavy duty double X-stand, a folding bench and sometimes (rarely these days) a P-85/95 with another X-stand certainly is easier as the components weigh less, but number more.

The organ's on-board drum machine was one of those beastly analog things, with the hippest styles being 16-Beat, Disco, and Jazz Rock , and, it still required a speaker system, and they weren't all that light either (KS50BR powered cabinets).

I must admit, that old C-605P had quite a stage presence compared to a keyboard on an X-stand.

Those were the days...do I miss them? Not really.

Ian

#316541 - 02/15/11 06:27 AM Re: Quality OMB accompaniment. It doesnt get better [Re: spalding1968]
Dnj Offline

I like to keep my feet crossed under me on the rungs of a chair when I play wink

#316547 - 02/15/11 08:55 AM Re: Quality OMB accompaniment. It doesnt get better [Re: spalding1968]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Ian, my last organ was Yamaha FS500. By the time you add the dolly, leslie, p.a., bench, etc., it weighed a TON. It sure was impressive in its time though. I can buy any three totl arrangers for what that baby cost.
DonM

#316552 - 02/15/11 09:40 AM Re: Quality OMB accompaniment. It doesnt get better [Re: spalding1968]
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Hey guys - I have been listening to Alan McPike for quite a while. I've corresponded with him a few times too. Something tells me he is in demand where he resides and does most of his performances in the larger venues. I agree I would not want to have to move and set up this rig, but I also believe he is likely well paid for his efforts.

He sells great backing tracks on his website (www.standardstrax.com). A while back I bought a few tracks from him and he was nice enough to remove the solo's from the group I bought. He has since started offering the tracks both ways.

Have a great week - pulling for an early spring here - hope it happens!

PS - might have sold my trusty T2 this week... deal pending on it. Taking a loss but I've had it for 5 years this month!

Randy

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#316553 - 02/15/11 09:59 AM Re: Quality OMB accompaniment. It doesnt get better [Re: spalding1968]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Nice to see, his arrangments are right on and his keyboards sound great. I enjoyed that and it brings back memories. I played pedals until a few years ago. Even took a semester of classical organ in college to get better. Professionally I did it on my custom B3 and then portable Korg units and finally midied Roland PK5s. The longest setup was two keyboards, drum machine and pedals and I sang. People used to notice but no more. I started fooling with arranger units and got into the G1000 which I still use. At home I have two sets of pedals, one with my Hammond XK3 and the other with the Roland G1000. Its a lot more fun to play that way and I feel more "in control" of the music but just no market for it anymore. Thanks for the link

Bill

#316554 - 02/15/11 10:01 AM Re: Quality OMB accompaniment. It doesnt get better [Re: ianmcnll]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Ian

Just curious. What speakers do you use that weigh just 25lbs.? I'm always looking for ways to get lighter

Thanks

Bill

#316557 - 02/15/11 10:29 AM Re: Quality OMB accompaniment. It doesnt get better [Re: spalding1968]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
And don't forget James Flynn the Vocalist.
His vocal talent's nothing to sneeze at either.
He's got the Frank Sinatra-Bobby Darin-ish vocal timing & phrasing down, and has established himself as one of Australia's leading jazz vocalists.

#316570 - 02/15/11 01:28 PM Re: Quality OMB accompaniment. It doesnt get better [Re: spalding1968]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
What you buying, Randy? A T4?

#316576 - 02/15/11 01:49 PM Re: Quality OMB accompaniment. It doesnt get better [Re: spalding1968]
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Hey Diki - not exactly sure. I was going to wait for the next round of S9XX's..... my team had a long test in CA during Jan and I had to work (10) 12 hour days and over a weekend... it was not fun, but I got some good overtime pay for it. smile So if I can get the T2 out the door and to its destination safely, the T4 is on the contention list for sure! Still deciding.... smile

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#316580 - 02/15/11 02:02 PM Re: Quality OMB accompaniment. It doesnt get better [Re: spalding1968]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Well, if you get one, let me come and play it when you get back in town!

Just to quiet Ian down if for no other reason! wink

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online