SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#316176 - 02/11/11 07:41 AM Re: SO ... [Re: tony mads usa]
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Don't forget Jim Brickman's Valentine with Martina McBride on vocals. It's a great song.

Joe

#316178 - 02/11/11 08:10 AM Re: SO ... [Re: tony mads usa]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Yep, My Funny Valentine, probably one of the top ten expected 'to know by memory' songs by every pro gigging musician out there.
Here's some insightful background analysis of this classic tune, which I call my 'all February month long' song for obvious reasons.
I especially enjoy showcasing the song's descending base line in the first 5 measures (C-B-Bb-A-Ab), which means, when playing it on the arranger, requires utilizing the arranger 'on bass' feature.

#316197 - 02/11/11 02:41 PM Re: SO ... [Re: Scottyee]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Scott ... I agree with you regarding the 'on bass' ... glad I have that option on my kn6000 ...
I'll be playing it as a bossa, and a ballad using a Lounge Piano style, muting the accompanying piano parts ...
here's one of the classics:
my funny valentine ella fitzgerald

#316201 - 02/11/11 02:51 PM Re: SO ... [Re: tony mads usa]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I found another great version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biw2lABwAuI&NR=1
DonM

#316224 - 02/11/11 09:33 PM Re: SO ... [Re: tony mads usa]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
Scott ... I agree with you regarding the 'on bass' ... glad I have that option on my kn6000 ...
I'll be playing it as a bossa, and a ballad using a Lounge Piano style, muting the accompanying piano parts ...
here's one of the classics:
my funny valentine ella fitzgerald

here's the link ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBoblDKUK9E

#316225 - 02/11/11 09:40 PM Re: SO ... [Re: Scottyee]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Yep, My Funny Valentine, probably one of the top ten expected 'to know by memory' songs by every pro gigging musician out there.
I especially enjoy showcasing the song's descending base line in the first 5 measures (C-B-Bb-A-Ab), which means, when playing it on the arranger, requires utilizing the arranger 'on bass' featu
re.

Gr8 minds think alike Scott, laugh That is exactly how I play it!!

I really must get over to the west coast and get jammin with you my man!!

Dennis

#316227 - 02/11/11 10:42 PM Re: SO ... [Re: miden]
Scottyee Offline

Originally Posted By: miden
I really must get over to the west coast and get jammin with you my man!!
Yeah Dennis, that would be great, & a good excuse to plan another West Coast Synthzone member Jam,
as it's been nearly 7 years now since we held our last one back in 2004 cool

Top Row: Left to Right: Bill Forest(Bebop); Tom Griglock (TomTomSF); Eric Bott (EricB); Tom Cavanaugh; Scott Yee (Scottyee)

Bottom Row: Left to Right: Luiktoh; Nigel Spencer (Nigel); Kerry Spencer; Roger (RMepstead); Clif Anderson; Unknown (sorry, forgot his name).

#316233 - 02/11/11 11:37 PM Re: SO ... [Re: Scottyee]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Scottyee
Here's some insightful background analysis of this classic tune, which I call my 'all February month long' song for obvious reasons.
I especially enjoy showcasing the song's descending base line in the first 5 measures (C-B-Bb-A-Ab), which means, when playing it on the arranger, requires utilizing the arranger 'on bass' feature.

One of my favorites and definitely a required tune on Valentine's Day.

Just a few things I'm interested in knowing.

I wonder what you and others use as a style? It's strange, but, years ago, on the afternoon I spent with Oscar Peterson on his new PSR-9000, he suggested that if I wanted to put a different spin on a slow swing ballad or jazz ballad, I could try using a 3/4 style (this also works great the other way around), and I now presently play My Funny Valentine using the JazzWaltzSlow in the Tyros4 (also in the Tyros3 and T2) at a tempo of about 90 bpm as change from using Dreamy Ballad (in the Swing&Jazz section in Tyros4)

I use the same descending bass line chords at the beginning of, and near the end of, the verse, but, I'm also wondering if you, and/or any others here, like me, play the 16 bar intro that has the words...

"Behold the way out fine feathered friend to virtue doth parade.

Thou knowest not my dim witted friend, the picture thou hast made.

Thy vacant brow, and thy tousled hair conceal thy good intent

Thou noble upright, truthful, sincere and slightly dopey gent."

I like doing the tune as both a jazz ballad and a jazz waltz, the latter often bringing a look of surprise on any other musicians present at my gig.

This year, I'm not gigging on Valentines Day, but I'll be playing the tune at my home, hopefully to an audience of one.

Ian

#316266 - 02/12/11 11:22 AM Re: SO ... [Re: tony mads usa]
Scottyee Offline

Here's how I do MFV on my Tyros 4: "Jazz Guitar Club" style @90bmp + 3 regs.

For the first AA, I use Variation A: Fingered on Bass, LH Voice, Organ Accmp 4, RH Voice layered: Vibe,Clean Gtr,Concert Grand.
At the Bridge, I use Varation C (double time feel): Fingered Mode, LH voice (piano) and set to fingered mode, to support playing smooth voice leading style chord inversions. I also play vocal fills on the keyboard using the S.A. 'scat vocalists ' which nicely augment my singing of the lyrics.

Ian, would love to hear how you do the tune in 3, so if you want, you can easily expand your limited 'audience of one' to many, by simply recording and sharing it with us. cool

#316271 - 02/12/11 12:05 PM Re: SO ... [Re: tony mads usa]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
I never play the intro lines...Half the audience would not have a clue about what was actually being said smile

Seriously, I find that with the standards in my rep, in the venues I play at, most folks appreciate and listen to the main heads only, albeit in many different ways and improvs..Start singing/playing some of the intro lines and you lose 'em.

Dennis

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online