SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#315875 - 02/09/11 04:16 AM Re: Wow: # of Tyros 4 Demos on YouTube: 962 ! [Re: Scottyee]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Thanks Scott,

Man, after several days with this amazing instrument (a week tomorrow), I have to conclude it is by far, Yamaha's very best arranger to date.

I have downloaded the full set of Tyros2, Tyros3 and CVP-509 styles, so as to have some of the similar styles to the Tyros4 without the vocal patches added, and these downloaded styles actually sound better (in my opinion) than they do on the instruments from which they came. Plus, I now have, in essence, the souls of the T2/T3 and CVP-509 at my fingertips.

It is so cool to be able to accompany vocals using the SA vocal patches in the right hand, giving even better results than if they were in the style, Multi-Pads, or the VH-2 Harmonizer.

Speaking of Multi-pads, the Pop Ooh, Pop Aah, and other vocal phrases are amazing when added whilst playing a style, and they come in (and go out) perfectly, right on the measure...reminds me of the way the Eagles add the "Oohs" to the song "Take it Easy".

The Shoo Be Doo (and Shoo, Dwee,etc.) voices that some seem to be getting weary of (although, out of these same "some", only a few have actually played the T4), are really handy if you do Doo Wop (allowing you to accent/embellish your vocal with your RH) and are not on too many other arrangers that I'm aware of, and, really give your performance an edge unattainable with just a Vocal Harmony processor.

It is truly the "love child" of the sparkling sounding Tyros2, and the more robust (but less sparkling) Tyros3, having the best of each instrument's characteristics, and none of their minor drawbacks.

Another snow day , (I am glad I got extra supplies) and another day to spend lots of time on this incredible new arranger...the flagship of the flagships.

Just another observation...this is an instrument which would be more beneficial to a Tyros2 owner (as you have discovered), than one who has the Tyros3, although, the marked improvement, again, in my opinion, in overall "sweetness" from the T3 might sway a few owners of those instruments.

It definitely is a substantial upgrade from Tyros2.

I hope you are enjoying your Tyros4 as much as I am enjoying mine.

Ian

PS....thanks for all your interesting topics on the forum...they really gave this place a lift.

#315892 - 02/09/11 07:57 AM Re: Wow: # of Tyros 4 Demos on YouTube: 962 ! [Re: Scottyee]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Bill,
My take is use them when there would be a 'Shoo bee do' done if the gig was ALL live players.
I would prefer the 'Shoo' 'bee' 'do' be controllable with velocity! NOT automatic. (This area gets into why the Korg has so much more function, as many things can be controlled with VEL)

#315893 - 02/09/11 08:03 AM Re: Wow: # of Tyros 4 Demos on YouTube: 962 ! [Re: Scottyee]
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
I suspect I'll own a T4 at some point in the next few quarters, and YES...I'll probably use the "shoo be, doo bee" albeit sparingly.

I would be fearful of using them too often. I'm trying to think of something on the T2 that I could compare it to, but I can't come up with anything....at least not yet.

Maybe its just hearing them featured on so many of the you tube demos that has me cringing, I'm not sure...

#315895 - 02/09/11 08:21 AM Re: Wow: # of Tyros 4 Demos on YouTube: 962 ! [Re: Scottyee]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Ian,
Please explain the 'overall sweetness) thing you spoke about. Are you saying the T3 was overall sweeter than T4 or vice versa?
I did have a T2 but it's been a while.
Thanks,

#315898 - 02/09/11 08:44 AM Re: Wow: # of Tyros 4 Demos on YouTube: 962 ! [Re: leeboy]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: leeboy
Ian,
Please explain the 'overall sweetness) thing you spoke about. Are you saying the T3 was overall sweeter than T4 or vice versa?
I did have a T2 but it's been a while.
Thanks,

Hi Lee, I'll try to explain a little better what I meant...

The Tyros2 is "sweeter" sounding (more detailed) than the Tyros3...my opinion, but supported by others.

The Tyros3, on the other hand, has a more robust and heavier sound than the Tyros2 - some complained the T2 was not beefy enough (too CD like), and so the T3 was meant to add some density to the overall sound.

Then, some T3 owners missed the characteristics of the Tyros2, which were admittedly, a little difficult to dial in with EQ and Compressor, although most were able to get something they were happy with.

They (T2 and T3 owners) both wanted "Live" sounding drums.

The Tyros4 has the sweetness (detail) of the Tyros2, and also, it has the robustness of the Tyros3...in other words, it is the best of both worlds...and it has some extra "live" sounding drum kits.

I admit I am biased towards Yamaha (that's why I work for them...I like the sound and the product) but this Tyros4 is very impressive...if you are a Yamaha fan or appreciate Yamaha's OS and sound/styles/features, then you will probably love the Tyros4.

Sound is subjective and personal, as we both know...I wasn't ecstatic about the T3's sound, which is why I played the less robust but "sweeter" PSR-S910 most of the time, but the fellow who bought my old Tyros3 was thrilled at the sound and didn't want it changed in any way.

I hope this makes things more clear.

Ian

#315899 - 02/09/11 08:46 AM Re: Wow: # of Tyros 4 Demos on YouTube: 962 ! [Re: Scottyee]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Ian, Happy to hear you're enjoying the Tyros 4 very much, it is quite the beast that's for sure. keys

Bill, I think with many of the demos they've over done them by a long shot. At least for my taste. As been mentioned if they are used sparingly they add a nice touch. Out of all the voices on the Tyros4 I probably use the shoo bee doos and the doo wops the least and that's all because of the style of music I'm playing. You know mostly what our elders would have listened to........or maybe our grandparents. LOL

#315934 - 02/09/11 02:17 PM Re: Wow: # of Tyros 4 Demos on YouTube: 962 ! [Re: Scottyee]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Here's a nice Tyros 4 medley set played by DjMouse. Same guy as above.
Notice that he's still got his Tyros 3 in the house too. Any offers? wink

#315976 - 02/10/11 01:16 AM Re: Wow: # of Tyros 4 Demos on YouTube: 962 ! [Re: Scottyee]
Tom NL Offline

Loc: Holland

I don't post very often, but I just had to show you this one!

Peter Baartmans is demoing in a music store somewhere in the US, sitting on a crummy chair with the Tyros sitting on a crummy stand, but the music is still really, really great. Peter never seems to have an off day and always shows great professional skills. This could easily be a terrible demo, considering the way it is recorded. But to me this is yet an other example that the Tyros 4 still sounds terrific even in a non factory impromptu demo, using only the camera microphone.

Peter also seems to explain the basic workings of an arranger keyboard to the store employees laugh

#315977 - 02/10/11 02:57 AM Re: Wow: # of Tyros 4 Demos on YouTube: 962 ! [Re: Scottyee]
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
I really enjoy his work...Thanks for posting this, Tom...

#315985 - 02/10/11 06:18 AM Re: Wow: # of Tyros 4 Demos on YouTube: 962 ! [Re: Tom NL]
arranger_yes_pc_no Offline

performing skills are always more important than any keyboard....

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online