SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#315664 - 02/07/11 02:56 PM Re: Example of an Arranger playing style problem.. [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
The problem for older players and new material is not so much learning and memorizing the tune, but not being able to RETAIN it in memory (the result of not playing it often enough to get it burned into your brain smile ). I can play tunes that I learned 30 years ago but really struggle with something that we learned last week at rehearsal and practiced for several hours. Short term memory is just shot.

chas

#315677 - 02/07/11 04:26 PM Re: Example of an Arranger playing style problem.. [Re: cgiles]
124 Offline

Well, there's certainly nothing new about staying with the same sound throughout a song. Donkey's years ago, I remember going into a pub and the resident guy playing a Hammond all evening never touched the drawbars at all. Maybe this guy in the video is related. wink

#315699 - 02/07/11 06:59 PM Re: Example of an Arranger playing style problem.. [Re: miden]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By: miden
Well, for those players and singers that like to play a different set of 60-70 songs each gig, having a resource like Unrealbook and the iPad makes it do-able.

I for one cannot remember chords and lyrics to over 1000 songs (my current PA2 Songbook resource)

If you are saying you CAN do this (remember the chords and lyrics to 1000 songs and NOT just 2 and 3 chord tunes either), well then, I have to admit I find that difficult to believe....

Maybe you can, but you would be the first I have ever come across in over 35 years.

Thats why I said TOSH to your post. Also a player CAN be very creative and spontaneous with a chart. Chart reading does not inhibit "free-style" playing!!!

Dennis I agree with you about 2 or 3 chord changes and very simple chords to boot....This is what makes tunes boring..not the instrumentation...

Personally I like to maintain the same band during the performances..I want the same piano player, same bass player, same drum kit...same guitar player or organ player....

Big Band songs that you want as a big band..then you do have to mix the instrument groups..

I say by all means use charts if it is going to help you play more complex and interesting chords...

Strong vocalist can usually get by 2, 5 ing their way thru a tune...but I listen and appreciate the player that creates interest with chord changes...they tell a story as much as the lyrics do... smile

#315725 - 02/08/11 02:32 AM Re: Example of an Arranger playing style problem.. [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Just curious, Donny, but how do YOU play Moonlight Serenade?

With an MP3, with an SMF, or full arranger? What sounds do you use for each section?

#315733 - 02/08/11 04:23 AM Re: Example of an Arranger playing style problem.. [Re: Diki]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
Just curious, Donny, but how do YOU play Moonlight Serenade?

With an MP3, with an SMF, or full arranger? What sounds do you use for each section?

All of the above depending on the gig, I like Carly Simons New version...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96px84SJQJI&feature=related

or when I play & sing it on the S910 I use a custom tweaked Movie Swing Style, with a RH sax mix, Sax clarinet mix, & Trumpet, & Symphony Brass/Strings mix to back up my vocal.. .

Edited by Dnj (02/08/11 04:30 AM)

#315737 - 02/08/11 05:30 AM Re: Example of an Arranger playing style problem.. [Re: Dnj]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Donny,
I woud like to hear that, why not post it for us to enjoy?

#315782 - 02/08/11 09:21 AM Re: Example of an Arranger playing style problem.. [Re: Dnj]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Yes that would be a real learning experience for all of us.
"Walk the walk" YOU are always so adamant about others doing Donny....

Surprise us

#315789 - 02/08/11 09:47 AM Re: Example of an Arranger playing style problem.. [Re: miden]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Yes, Donny, that would be very cool if you would kindly post your arrangement of Moonlight Serenade, played with the tweaked Movie Swing style...I've never heard it done with that style.

I always enjoy your music.

Please share some with us.

Ian

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online