SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#315430 - 02/05/11 10:06 PM Re: I really think Yamaha's sound engine is Superb! [Re: Scottyee]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Scottyee
Donny, used the larger Z5500 POZ setup tonight. Still haven't had a chance to try out the Z2300’s satellites perched atop the T4 because it requires mounting them to the T4 MS04 swivel bases, which are currently mounted to my Bose 161 satellites. Remounting requires drilling holes on the bottom of the Z2300's satellites and I just have'nt found time to do that yet. Perhaps next week. wink

ok awaiting your reviews once your set up with the Z2300 unit...that said, curious to hear what you think of it after performing a few gigs with it.

#315501 - 02/06/11 01:44 PM Re: I really think Yamaha's sound engine is Superb! [Re: leeboy]
vagro Offline

Loc: Argentina
Lee I've been following The Solitaire (YAMATI40) since the first day he appeared on YouTube. He is an awesome player, he started playing a Wersi organ (I guess he still has that one) and later made an organ with the Tyros 3 and 4. Definetively I think you should go for the Tyros to build your organ according to what I think you enjoy most: orchestral music. There are very few orchestral styles for the Pa series.

Korg Pa3x 61 - Mediastation X76 - Yamaha Psr s900 - Korg Tr61 - Roland PK5A - NanoKontrol - Ensoniq SQ1 - Yamaha D85 organ

#315520 - 02/06/11 03:13 PM Re: I really think Yamaha's sound engine is Superb! [Re: leeboy]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Victor,
Hello, hope your doing well...
I appreciate your input...coming from an accomplished musician and technically savvy person like yourself it does help.

Before I finally decide I will take a day to play both the PA3X and the T4, very carefully listening to the sounds and getting a feel for the instruments. I may need to travel to see Frankie to do that. I wish the PA3X was coming sooner.

Victor, do you know anything about the Solitare's setup? I beleive he speaks German, and I do not. There is a list of questions I have for him, the main one, being did he buy that beast or do it himself? It looks just like a Wersi cabinet, so I wander if he didn't just get one and modify it? He does sell all his user sounds/registratios/and 1500 styles for $300.

#315524 - 02/06/11 03:48 PM Re: I really think Yamaha's sound engine is Superb! [Re: leeboy]
vagro Offline

Hello Lee

First of I want to tell you I'm grateful for your kind words but remember I am a hobbyist.

If you will use a pedalboard to play the styles' bass part you should go for the Tyros. Yamaha has the On Bass Note recognition on the Midi chart so it plays the bass following the style pattern. On a Korg you have to do it all by yourself. I don't know about the Pa3X, you should ask about that feature but I doubt they implemented this.

The Solitaire has made himself that set up and, coming from a Wersi organ player background, he built the cabinet very similar to that manufacturer. I suppose he used a pedalboard from a Wersi organ but the lower keyboard is an M Audio 61controller, the same Keithwilson (http://www.youtube.com/user/keithwilson01) and I use.

His English is very basic, he is a Pro player and makes a living playing gigs. Once, before he created this newer account on You Tube, I asked him about his set up. He never answered and a few days later he closed his account so I thought he didn't want to share his idea. I never asked again but you can try, there's nothing to lose and this idea has been developed by many others now.

Korg Pa3x 61 - Mediastation X76 - Yamaha Psr s900 - Korg Tr61 - Roland PK5A - NanoKontrol - Ensoniq SQ1 - Yamaha D85 organ

#315534 - 02/06/11 06:23 PM Re: I really think Yamaha's sound engine is Superb! [Re: leeboy]
leeboy Offline

Victor,
OK, I see. Well yes, I remember the T2 I had worked OK with the Roland PK-5 pedals. I'm glad you reminded me of that feature a I had forgot.

As to his setup, the lower has some extra STUFF on the left...not sure what it is, a panel with some lights/sitches...something, I have never seen him use that area??
He did answer me, but he did not answer as to the setup at all, just to give me the cost of all his extra's (User sounds/regs/Styles).
I would beleive all he is doing is through MIDI and he did not do anything all that difficult. BUT, one of his demos...he shows the back of the unit...behind the M-Audio there is a board?? Or, maybe he pulled the M-Audio out of it's cabinet to mount it in his?

Take a closer look and let me know what you think.

I know you have domne a lot of the interconnectio/integration/MIDI. I have done quite a bit too...so it hould not be that tuff.

#315557 - 02/07/11 12:03 AM Re: I really think Yamaha's sound engine is Superb! [Re: leeboy]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Lee S

It’s one of the old CD line Wersi cabinets with all the Wersi innards and panels removed.

The lower keyboard is a cannibalized M Audio which he has adapted to suit the casing. (The buttons and Slider are a standard fit on the M Audio Controller)

He is very active on the Tastenpoint Forum http://www.tastenpoint.at/forum/ which if you use Google Translate you will get by fine. (Reply in English as he also uses Translation Software)

There is also a link to a video on the site that actually shows you the innards and how it is made up.

Hope this helps

Bill

#315581 - 02/07/11 06:50 AM Re: I really think Yamaha's sound engine is Superb! [Re: leeboy]
leeboy Offline

Bill,
WOW...thank you so very much for the help...I will get on there and do some homework!

I may very well build one of these....
Since I cannnot afford a Wersi.

#315583 - 02/07/11 07:22 AM Re: I really think Yamaha's sound engine is Superb! [Re: leeboy]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Lee, you might want to look around for an old Yamaha Electone organ, that may be had for little or nothing...some, the entry level models, are even given away.

The cabinets are very well made, even on the entry models, and provide a great place with which to start on a double manual.

Also, older non-working Hammond Home models may be worth looking into for the same reason.

Ian

#315615 - 02/07/11 11:42 AM Re: I really think Yamaha's sound engine is Superb! [Re: ianmcnll]
vagro Offline

Lee I think Abacus is correct, he only adapted a Wersi organ cabinet. I watched a video that I can't find now in which he shows how he made it up. The connection from the M audio to the Tyros I believe is a simple Midi Out-In type but he needed a special board for adapting the pedals to the Tyros and he required a Midi coupler for the Tyros Midi In or a connection via Usb to be able to use the M Audio controller and the pedalboard.

Ian has an idea I also thought but those low end organs are too narrow (less than 114 cm/45 inches) and you need to do some work to adapt external pedalboard and the volume/sustain pedals. Besides, believe it or not, I think I could never destroy an organ cry

#315635 - 02/07/11 01:09 PM Re: I really think Yamaha's sound engine is Superb! [Re: leeboy]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
One of the happiest days of my life was the day I was able to stop hauling organs around, with the advent of arranger keyboards.
I guess the flexibility would be nice, of it would be great to have a double kb rig at home, but personally I barely scratch the surface of exploring the capabilities of the gear I have now.
Glad I'm not tempted to get into all of the WORK assembling pseudo-organs!
They sound great though.
DonM

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online