SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#315469 - 02/06/11 08:36 AM Re: Tyro 4! Plus ..This is gonna knock your socks off [Re: abacus]
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Yes is also a good option. And don't forget Lee you can load your own samples in the PA2X.

#315471 - 02/06/11 09:19 AM Re: Tyro 4! Plus ..This is gonna knock your socks off [Re: leeboy]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Bill,
Thanks for the links...
Garriton is not going to work in any way for me. They do not accept MIDI Bank/Prg change messages to select sounds.

Diki,
I agree...the issue is they did not do the correct job on the samples. And, my suggestion was not to make a new cip (that won't happen) it was to release some free user sounds with correct samples to replace their mistakes. And +1 on the playing styles with specific instruments...I'm not that hard to please! Everything so far I have heard on the Telmos and Solitare songs are fine to me.

I have bought several user sounds and loaded them, they were from a few sources on the forum and were OK. I also bought 5 from James (Irish acts) and they are also very good. But the overall sounds are not all that oriented for what I play.

I'm in no hurray...looking at all the options is kind of fun.

#315473 - 02/06/11 09:24 AM Re: Tyro 4! Plus ..This is gonna knock your socks off [Re: leeboy]
leeboy Offline

FrasN,
Yes, I know and have done many I have even built some of my own sounds from scratch. The RAM is very limited and you can not make up for all the poor sounds by doing this.

You know for $3,500. I should not have to!

We will see what the new PA3X brings.

It might just be a simple as for the type of music I play...AND the sounds I like, Yamaha is a better fit.

One other thing...all the demos I have seen, nobody seems to have any trouble playing a super performance live with the T4.

#315476 - 02/06/11 09:33 AM Re: Tyro 4! Plus ..This is gonna knock your socks off [Re: leeboy]
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Please Lee buy the Tyros 4. I beg you.

#315478 - 02/06/11 09:56 AM Re: Tyro 4! Plus ..This is gonna knock your socks off [Re: leeboy]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The only comment I have is this:
What you hear in demos are not necessarily what you hear when YOU play it. Touch and control all play a vital part in creating a sound ... even from a preset instrument. Years ago, a friend played a Rhodes patch on a dinosaur Roland JX10 and Fran and I were amazed by it's tone and character. Well, we tried that same sound in our hands and felt less than amazed. There is a knack for understanding the treatment of each sound played, and in the right hands - most things sound great. Key feel, strength of fingers, velocity settings etc ... all affect the way these sounds will react in your hands, so before you all go rushing for your wallets, please get to a store and PLAY these instruments before you comment on how wonderful they sound. The demo in my Korg i5s is wonderful ... but try to make the kb sound like that ..... not so much.

Everyone's excited, and we all love new toys, but please ... please - play them before you start the rave revues on their graces. A video demo does not sell me on anything. I'm just sayin...

#315482 - 02/06/11 11:15 AM Re: Tyro 4! Plus ..This is gonna knock your socks off [Re: Uncle Dave]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave

Everyone's excited, and we all love new toys, but please ... please - play them before you start the rave revues on their graces. A video demo does not sell me on anything. I'm just sayin...

I know, David, it's sometimes hard to answer a "what if" question, but perhaps your answer (and experience) will help someone.

What if you were unable to try out the PA-800, because the music stores in your area, and perhaps beyond, didn't, or wouldn't, stock high end arrangers so you could do a "hands on" and make a decision from there?

Do you have any suggestions or tips for people in that situation?

Ian

#315517 - 02/06/11 02:57 PM Re: Tyro 4! Plus ..This is gonna knock your socks off [Re: leeboy]
leeboy Offline

UD,
Well said, Point well taken.

It kind of goes back to when I was buying and upgrading on a regular basis the home organs. Especially the Thomas brand...I remember a real good dmo guy/salesman at the store in Toledo Ohio telling me 'more than once'...remeber, your buying the Organ NOT the player, I don't follow you home with it. Back then the sounds were more traditional organ (real leslie's) with a few goody sounds thrown in, and the cabinet was very much a part of what you were buying.

Then came along the Yamaha Electones...WOW, what a sound. The cabinet was very secondary now, except they had a great fold down top to keep dust off.

Still, if the instrument does sound good in demos, anyone dedicated to working on it...should be able to learn to get that sound or something similar.
As to Ian's question...well Ian it depends on the person, if they have lot's of bucks just get the thing. If you do't like it sell it at a loss.
If your more like most of us here, travel if neccesary to audition the instrument before buying. If in a area where that is not at all practical, I guess you go on demos, friends suggestions and a little faith (maybe past experience with the brand). Oh, I almost forgot....and not too many people do this...read the manuals cover to cover, and enjoy a pot of tea!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online