SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#315127 - 02/03/11 05:23 PM ianmcnll's Tyros 4 Arrived Today !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Received a PM from Ian earlier today to tell me that his long awaited Tyros 4 delivery finally arrived today. I phoned him and he sounded quite ecstatic. He's got his fridge stocked with plenty of food so I'm sure once he's able to pull himself away from his new toy, he'll be sharing his thoughts here. smile

#315128 - 02/03/11 05:32 PM Re: ianmcnll's Tyros 4 Arrived Today ! [Re: Scottyee]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Very Happy for Ian. It may be awhile till we hear from him.

woot

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#315130 - 02/03/11 05:37 PM Re: ianmcnll's Tyros 4 Arrived Today ! [Re: Scottyee]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Scottyee
Received a PM from Ian earlier today to tell me that his long awaited Tyros 4 delivery finally arrived today. I phoned him and he sounded quite ecstatic. He's got his fridge stocked with plenty of food so I'm sure once he's able to pull himself away from his new toy, he'll be sharing his thoughts here. smile

Scott great news ....BUT shouldn't you have waited so Ian himself could have ecstatically posted this good news himself?...in any event glad to hear Ian has a chance to try a T4 out for a while.

#315131 - 02/03/11 05:54 PM Re: ianmcnll's Tyros 4 Arrived Today ! [Re: Dnj]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Originally Posted By: Dnj
shouldn't you have waited so Ian himself could have ecstatically posted this good news himself?
Why? He's posted about all the weather related shipping delays he's had to endure so what's wrong with spreading the happy dance2 news of its arrival? confused1
I'm sure Ian will have much more to share with us soon. cool

#315132 - 02/03/11 05:55 PM Re: ianmcnll's Tyros 4 Arrived Today ! [Re: Scottyee]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Scottyee
shouldn't you have waited so Ian himself could have ecstatically posted this good news himself?
Why? He's posted about all the weather related shipping delays he's had to endure so what's wrong with spreading the happy dance2 news of its arrival? confused1
I'm sure Ian will have much more to share with us soon. cool

But the initial announcement should have been his alone IMO....;)

#315134 - 02/03/11 06:16 PM Re: ianmcnll's Tyros 4 Arrived Today ! [Re: Scottyee]
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Congrats Ian.....We are near 2 weeks apart, I got mine then....I am a happy camper....I know you will too.

First thing, update the OS, I already had purchase the 1 gig Memory (thanks Frankie), I installed, then proceeded to play for a while, then to transfer all my T3 Data, Registrations, Pads, UVNs, etc.....
I started a total new folder with registrations made from the T4, and I started touching up with changing some of the sounds, Volumes, etc.....for the T3 registrations, basically to update them with better sounds, etc. clap
The important thing is that the people HAVE notice the difference, on the sounds....that in a very positive way. party

#315135 - 02/03/11 06:34 PM Re: ianmcnll's Tyros 4 Arrived Today ! [Re: Scottyee]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Hey guys...I mentioned to Scott about him posting about me getting my Tyros4, if he had time.

I've been so busy with updating the OS, trying out all my styles, and, all the great new on-board styles, plus answering many, many client emails about the instrument and how it performs, plus, setting up clinics and demo dates.

Of course, we all know I'm very biased towards Yamaha, and I have every reason to be...first of all, I do a bit of work for them regarding clinics and demos, which i really enjoy, and, perhaps more importantly, I love the Yamaha "sound", and have been using it for many years, the latter being a major reason why I accepted the job with the company when asked.

So far, I am very, very impressed...perhaps the "honeymoon" will wear off, but I have a feeling I'm in for the long haul.

I am really getting to appreciate the FSX keybed and it's intimate relationship with the SA/SA2 sounds...I still like the keybed on the S910, but the FSX's longer throw really allows more expressiveness...and, it is very, very quick and responsive.

I thought the vocal patches, and the styles with vocal patches, might be of limited use to me, but, after playing around with them all afternoon, I can see many possibilities, plus, they will help me branch out into genres I don't usually spend much time with...they are inspirational, in other words.

"HollywoodGospel" is a real standout in the styles that feature vocal patches.

The new drum kits, to my ears, are excellent...certainly far more "live" than ever before...the jazz kits are so cool (the brushes are astonishing), and several of the jazz styles themselves were pure joy to play along with, "CoolPianoJazz", "TheJazzSingers" and "LACoolSwing" being notable initial favorites...the walking bass line in "CoolPianoJazz" was beautifully programmed.

I'll probably be up till the wee hours just exploring...and, since I've already had a Tyros3, and an S910, it may seem strange that there would be that much new stuff to explore, but there is plenty.

I intend to try the VH-2 tomorrow or Saturday...I'll try to answer any questions as unbiased as possible, but don't expect any miracles...I'm pretty smitten with Yamaha arrangers, and this one in particular has smote me quite hard.

Thanks Scott, for letting fellow SZ'ers know about my getting the Tyros4.

mdorantes, I too have started fresh on my registrations, although, I don't usually use that many, but rather rely on edited OTS in the styles, plus a few banks of registrations that are intended to cover the genres I play.

The Tyros4 sounded great right out of the box...all I did was update the OS...I'm playing the T4 through the same speakers as I used with the Tyros3, which are Yamaha MS60S powered monitors with AST. I will also get to A/B the Tyros3 side by side with the T4 next week, as I'm doing a clinic at the home of the client who bought the Tyros3 from me.

The Tyros4 has more "sparkle" to my ears, and I wasn't quite able to get the same sound on the T3, no matter what I did with EQ and/or Compressor.

Maybe the Tyros4 is using different D/A converters? Whatever the case, the sound appeals to me, and has the sweetness I liked on the Tyros2.

Now, back to work, if you can call playing a terrific high-end arranger, "work."

Ian

Edited by ianmcnll (02/03/11 06:48 PM)
Edit Reason: to add reply to mdorantes

#315136 - 02/03/11 06:36 PM Re: ianmcnll's Tyros 4 Arrived Today ! [Re: Scottyee]
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Hi Ian,

Enjoy your newest acquisition, the Tyros 4, and the moose (stocked in the fridge).

Taike

#315150 - 02/03/11 09:06 PM Re: ianmcnll's Tyros 4 Arrived Today ! [Re: Scottyee]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Ian,
Congrats on the new arrival...
Wish I could come over and spend some time checking it out with you....:-)
A little too far, especally this time of year...so I will be in touch...for now I leave you to it, rather than bug you...
But, 'I'll be back'

#315157 - 02/03/11 10:49 PM Re: ianmcnll's Tyros 4 Arrived Today ! [Re: Dnj]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
But the initial announcement should have been his alone IMO....;)

NO DONNY Ian had asked Scott to post about it if he had time. Who cares who posted it anyway. Sounds like Ian is just having too much fun with it.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online