SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#314735 - 01/31/11 02:41 PM Re: Why Stand When performing with an arranger KB.. ? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
If I had to stand while playing the lead in my a$$ would slip and crush my ankles! wink

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#314737 - 01/31/11 02:44 PM Re: Why Stand When performing with an arranger KB.. ? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Sheeesh...I'm that lazy, I wish I could play lying down...

#314745 - 01/31/11 04:05 PM Re: Why Stand When performing with an arranger KB.. ? [Re: Dnj]
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I used to stand with my trio because the others had to stand. But I remember when I had a drummer, he and I both sat. Now that I'm playing solo I sit all the time. I tried standing and found it cumbersome and useless. SIT!

#314755 - 01/31/11 06:04 PM Re: Why Stand When performing with an arranger KB.. ? [Re: Dnj]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I'm fairly tall and my dou partners are at least a foot shorter than me. I think it would look rather unbalanced the tall/short combination.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#314756 - 01/31/11 06:18 PM Re: Why Stand When performing with an arranger KB.. ? [Re: Dnj]
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Many years ago I stood. Today I don't see the point. I have a stool which puts me pretty high up plus I'm 6'3" so I do get a good sight line from the floor. At this age, my knees wouldn't let me stand for very long. I do go out into the audience for a few stand up songs.

Joe

#314757 - 01/31/11 06:22 PM Re: Why Stand When performing with an arranger KB.. ? [Re: travlin'easy]
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
I stood until age 55, a time when the body began saying "Yeah, you think you look cool, but damned this hurts." That was 15 years ago. Thousands of jobs later no one ever said "Gee, you would look more professional if you were standing." I use a fully adjustable, heavy-duty Quick-Lock D-749. I modified the seat, doubled the padding thickness to 4 inches, and made it a bit larger for added comfort. It sells for about $150 and it was worth every penny I paid for it.

Cheers,

Gary cool

Hi Gary. I took a look at that stool recently at GC. The back was too far back for me. I couldn't see how to adjust it. I might like a setup like that if I could make if feel right.

Joe

#314759 - 01/31/11 06:36 PM Re: Why Stand When performing with an arranger KB.. ? [Re: Uncle Dave]
zuki Offline

Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
I hate singing in a seated position (even before my gut got rather large), so standing is a natural fix for that. Also, today's venues often have no stage, and I am entertaining on the same level as the audience - standing gives me a visual edge....also more freedom of movement. I have 2 footswitches at my right foot .. one for sustain, and the other for vocal harmonies. Sustain is pushed at least 90% of the night, so a quick shift to the right,and I turn on the "singers".
I put on and take off my guitar a few times each hour, so standing is very natural for me in that regard as well. The biggest reason is visibility though .... the audience can connect with me better and I have more control over the room dynamics when I can look out over the top ... or at least over their heads! lol
Back in the Rhodes days, I sat because I had no way to raise that beast up high enough an d still feel safe, but as digital replaces plywood .... everything just gets easier and easier.
Sit, stand - do what makes you happy, but make the music.

I'm with you UD! The only time in my life I sat during a performance was for teen organ recitals. It's so very natural, I feel 'at home' every time I perform.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#314761 - 01/31/11 06:44 PM Re: Why Stand When performing with an arranger KB.. ? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Joe,

We'll get together one day soon and I'll show you how it's done.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#314764 - 01/31/11 07:18 PM Re: Why Stand When performing with an arranger KB.. ? [Re: Dnj]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I certainly would prefer to be able to stand when playing the arranger in piano mode (which requires using a sustain pedal), because standing creates a much more 'commanding stage presence', and when singing, standing provides 'optimal diaphragmatic support'. Unfortunately, when playing while standing and operating a sustain pedal as well, means dedicating your right foot to the sustain while at the same time having to support your body weight pretty much entirely on the left foot. frown

So far, the only compromise solution I've found is positioning the keyboard at somewhere 'in between' sitting & standing height and utilizing a fairly high stool to sit on and/or lean against. Not quite as good as standing, but better than sitting. Anybody here have a better solution or suggestion for me? juggle Thanks.

#314775 - 01/31/11 10:25 PM Re: Why Stand When performing with an arranger KB.. ? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I look so good either way that it doesn't matter much.
YEAAAH! I got a Celestone shot today and I FEEL GOOD. Wish I could get a quart or so of that stuff. I wouldn't even use a stand; just hold the keyboard in one hand and play with the other while I dance around the room. Gotta go vacuum and do the dishes now; it's barely past midnight.
DonM

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online