SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#314643 - 01/30/11 07:07 PM Re: Why Stand When performing with an arranger KB.. ? [Re: Dnj]
zuki Offline

Stand when performing and sit while teaching. To me, engaging the audience and having more voice power is key.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#314644 - 01/30/11 07:08 PM Re: Why Stand When performing with an arranger KB.. ? [Re: Scottyee]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Scottyee
I 'can't stand' standing when I play the keyboard. Even in my early 20's it put considerable strain on my back because I've always required at least one foot pedal (sustain). To maintain healthy posture without developing back strain requires (at least for me) keeping both feet squarely on the floor when standing. Because I use sustain frequently throughout a song and throughout an evening gig, I position my keyboard height somewhere in between standing and sitting position, allowing me to sit on and/or lean against the edge of a high stool, of which helps support my balance and maintain body alignment when playing the pedal(s). Without the stool, it's like having to support my body all night on one (left) foot. cry

Good points Scott for sure....I like to sit Very Very Low so that my Thighs are exactly HORIZONTAL to the floor as are my ARMS to the keys..it's just another personal trait for EACH players comfortability.

http://www.piano-play-it.com/correct-posture.html

Edited by Dnj (01/30/11 07:24 PM)

#314650 - 01/30/11 07:52 PM Re: Why Stand When performing with an arranger KB.. ? [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I hate singing in a seated position (even before my gut got rather large), so standing is a natural fix for that. Also, today's venues often have no stage, and I am entertaining on the same level as the audience - standing gives me a visual edge....also more freedom of movement. I have 2 footswitches at my right foot .. one for sustain, and the other for vocal harmonies. Sustain is pushed at least 90% of the night, so a quick shift to the right,and I turn on the "singers".
I put on and take off my guitar a few times each hour, so standing is very natural for me in that regard as well. The biggest reason is visibility though .... the audience can connect with me better and I have more control over the room dynamics when I can look out over the top ... or at least over their heads! lol
Back in the Rhodes days, I sat because I had no way to raise that beast up high enough an d still feel safe, but as digital replaces plywood .... everything just gets easier and easier.
Sit, stand - do what makes you happy, but make the music.

#314654 - 01/30/11 08:03 PM Re: Why Stand When performing with an arranger KB.. ? [Re: Dnj]
tassiespirit Offline

Loc: Devonport, Tasmania, Australia
Used to stand many years ago, but now I sit, with every opportunity, why, cause I don't look as good as you guys, standing lol. No, failed/stuffed up heart surgery puts me in the sitting zone. Love to play as much as I can, so sitting allows me to play more.

#314656 - 01/30/11 08:14 PM Re: Why Stand When performing with an arranger KB.. ? [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
I hate singing in a seated position (even before my gut got rather large), so standing is a natural fix for that. Also, today's venues often have no stage, and I am entertaining on the same level as the audience - standing gives me a visual edge....also more freedom of movement. I have 2 footswitches at my right foot .. one for sustain, and the other for vocal harmonies. Sustain is pushed at least 90% of the night, so a quick shift to the right,and I turn on the "singers".
I put on and take off my guitar a few times each hour, so standing is very natural for me in that regard as well. The biggest reason is visibility though .... the audience can connect with me better and I have more control over the room dynamics when I can look out over the top ... or at least over their heads! lol
Back in the Rhodes days, I sat because I had no way to raise that beast up high enough an d still feel safe, but as digital replaces plywood .... everything just gets easier and easier.
Sit, stand - do what makes you happy, but make the music.

I remember when you sat down and played smile

Attachments
udav.jpg

#314698 - 01/31/11 11:39 AM Re: Why Stand When performing with an arranger KB.. ? [Re: Dnj]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Like Ian, I sit when playing a B-3-something I'm so fortunate to do 4-5 times a month.

I also sit when I play jazz guitar, and when I play multiple keys
(eg. an arranger with a synth on top and a piano on my right hand-one of my favorite ways to work).

But, obviously, when I play vibes or front a show with the philharmonic or other big band, I switch between lots of instruments...multiple neck guitars, basses, keys, percussion, etc.

Sitting, standing...lying down...I don't care, I JUST WANT TO PLAY!

Russ

#314708 - 01/31/11 12:39 PM Re: Why Stand When performing with an arranger KB.. ? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Although it's nice to hear different preferences on other instruments..The original question is playing an Arranger KB .....Thanks

#314721 - 01/31/11 01:29 PM Re: Why Stand When performing with an arranger KB.. ? [Re: BBBB]
Beakybird Offline

Originally Posted By: BBBB
It's tougher on the body but I stand. Using wireless Headset mic and wireless acoustic guitar switching back and forth depending upon the song. I also find that standing allows me to sing better and on tunes where I am playing guitar I can get up close and mingle with the audience and dance/sing with them.
Losing about 40 pounds has made standing easier too! Whatever works for you.
Brian

I sit when I practice and stand when I perform. It does help with singing to stand - but to each they're own.

I would like to explore the way the Yamaha Super Articulation voices respond to the footswitch, but I would have to use my left foot (I use the right two footswitches for sustain and fill-to-self) which is difficult when standing.

There has been a lot of news lately about the dangers of sitting too long:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/26/health/26beha.html

Beakybird

#314728 - 01/31/11 01:56 PM Re: Why Stand When performing with an arranger KB.. ? [Re: Dnj]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
I use to stand playing sax in New Orleans and other cities until I retired from music in 1975.

When I started the OMB thingy in 2002 or so, I sit down because I have all the lyrics typed in a book. I can't sing 20 tunes without the lyrics written down. I started the OMB singing with the keyboard to late. I still stand when playing the sax.

#314733 - 01/31/11 02:39 PM Re: Why Stand When performing with an arranger KB.. ? [Re: brickboo]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
stand/sit ... I set the seat of my 'throne' stool about 30" high so I kinda' 'lean' on the seat ... I'm 6'2" so that gives me a good view, doesn't kill the back OR the legs ... the sustain is on the right and the foot switch for the harmonizer is on the left ... the set up gives me the option of fully standing during the gig if I want ...

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online