SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#314921 - 02/01/11 04:57 PM Re: TYROS 4 DEMO I havn't seen yet.... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
This is not a scientific study, but take a poll of WHO works more among:
1)keyboardists
2)guitarists
3)bassists &
4)drummers

Solo, bands, whatever - #1 will be employed more than the other 3 combined in today's market. Sad, but I believe it to be true.

But add DJ to that list, and knock off venues where most of the clients are 50+, and you are going to get a VERY different result... surprised

#314924 - 02/01/11 05:30 PM Re: TYROS 4 DEMO I havn't seen yet.... [Re: Diki]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Diki
It was different when I was younger, Ian. Keyboard players were rock GODS! Ian Lord, Keith Emmerson, Rick Wakeman, Billy Joel, Jerry Lee Lewis, none of us had problems back then!

But can you point to a 'sexy' male keyboard player dominating the charts any more? Can you even name ONE keyboard player in a chart band of today's kid's age?

Kids take after what they see NOW, not how things used to be, or they'd ALL be playing piano like Liszt or Chopin (the rock gods of their day!), or Lord and Emmerson.

Actually, female keyboard players are doing pretty darn good...check them out.

In actuality, I don't see too many guitar players dominating the charts either...male or female.

Music, and the music business has changed...we should feel lucky that we enjoyed the ride we picked.

I really enjoy my job as a clinician demonstrator, as I get to help those in my age group (and a little younger, and a little older) to find an instrument that lets them express themselves musically, perhaps like they never could when they were younger, and to also cultivate a hobby that brings them much joy and positivity in the lives.

They don't want to be stars, or entertainers, but they do want to "imagine" they are playing "in the band", and doing those great old tunes they grew up with. They want to play for their friends...they want to be able to record a tune or two, and email them to a friend.

I've been doing this for a very long time, and there has never been a shortage of 40-60 year olds...never...and, judging by my emails and phone calls about the Tyros4, it hasn't lessened one bit...in fact, there's more interested than ever.

I know where you live is not a good representation of a place interested in arrangers...here in Atlantic Canada, we have a thriving interest...not just keyboardists, but guitarists who want to have the OMB experience, piano players wanting to get an extra gig or two as a soloist/singer/keyboardist...quite a number of men and women who want to explore and enjoy the arranger...I wish you could be at one of my clinics...I am sure you'd have a great time demoing an arranger to a group of people wanting to be amazed...you have the talent, experience, technical know-how, and personality...you'd do well working in the business.

Arrangers sell well here because we worked at making them visible, and clients knew they'd have help, support, and follow-ups on the instruments...you know yourself, the easiest and most lucrative thing to sell is "fun"....it's infectious...watch Martin Harris sell "fun" at the NAMM...he's not just a great player...people see his genuine joy for playing the incredible arranger keyboard....and they want some of it.

Arrangers certainly don't sell sitting on the shelves in the store; even more so than synths and pianos, they need to be showcased...people already see synths and pianos played on TV and music videos...but they don't see arranger keyboards...that's why we do clinics and demos...to show the fun and capabilities that would otherwise go unnoticed.

The Internet has broken helped arrangers break through, but hands on demos and followup clinics have really helped me, and the dealers I work with, be more successful, as well as put more and more arrangers out there in the hands of You Tubers and other sites like Face Book to send out even more great promotional material.

I really believe that arrangers have a bright future...I know I'll do my best to see that they do.

Ian

#314929 - 02/01/11 06:14 PM Re: TYROS 4 DEMO I havn't seen yet.... [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

But those are pianists, not keyboard players...

I don't think I've seen ONE front person do anything but piano, or maybe a Wurli or Rhodes (rare) from the current generation. Sure, they are ALL playing them in the studio (or their producers are!) but you won't see a synth solo or organ ride or basically, anything but them dance around. I definitely DO thank God I grew up when being the band's keyboard player COULD get you laid wink

#314935 - 02/01/11 07:01 PM Re: TYROS 4 DEMO I havn't seen yet.... [Re: Diki]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki

But can you point to a 'sexy' male keyboard player?

Scott yee smile ?

#314941 - 02/01/11 08:34 PM Re: TYROS 4 DEMO I havn't seen yet.... [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

That modesty doesn't become you, Donny!

Mind you, Fran (where's he been lately?) is the one always posting pictures of him with 'the ladies'...! monalisa

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online