SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#314479 - 01/29/11 03:34 PM Let's appreciate our differences...!
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
My favorite old softee...UD hit it out of the park on another thread when he said that he was a MUSICIAN who played arranger, not an arranger musician.

We all own arrangers, and, during a recent injury, my arrangers kept me working. I also use them for roughs on the film scores I do. But, like Dave, I think that arrangers are a tools and that we all use them in vastly different ways.

Look at the differences between us. It's a lot more than age, education, location...whatever. And, it's our differences that make this group and music in general work.

In a perfect world, here's how I would like to celebrate some of our differences, musically:

* With CHAS, I's strap on a big L-5 and just enjoy the sophisticated groove, with just the right amount of funk.
That unspoken, delicious communication would happen instantly.

* With DON, I'd use a double-neck with a 12 and 6, a volume pedal, plus a small portable Nord. We would click automatically, with little or no rehearsal required. It would be my pleasure to back him to make him sound as good as I could. In fact, we're working on doing that soon.

* CHICO would be a delight. I'd use several of my Gianinni nylon string guitars and revel in one of my favorite kinds of music with one of my favorite people.

* DAVE McMahan-I'd just strap on a Parker Fly and try to keep up. I'd feel comfortable just walking onto his B-3 oriented jobs or with his bigger band (the one he came to Kentucky with a few years ago). He is a "players player" and we'd quickly hit that pocket that makes music worth playing with others.

* DIKI is intense and talented. He's a "pro's pro" here, and we'd have no problem hitting a groove personally and musically.

* With UNCLE DAVE I'd bring a 335 and a Nord Electro and just "relax and enjoy". It would feel as if we'd worked together all our lives. He's a great musician, plus a killer entertainer and friend. That's be "one for the books".

* ANDREA would be a pleasure to work with. He is not a "full timer", but writes and plays with such calm sophistication that I'd finish the night relaxed, refreshed and pumped up!

* TONY is such a delightful guy, and so "pro-music" that the enthusiasm would instantly rub off. His play list would be completely familiar, and we'd "get over"; no doubt.

* NIGEL would probably be embarrassed to have "the old guy" on the bandstand, but WHAT FUN! The only thing I would have to work on is the arrangements all good show bands use.
I'd crank up a PSR-probably throught a Small 85 SuperChamp lined out into the house system. I'd also bring a Nord Electro to switch to keys when he switched to guitar.

* I'd just sneak up on RORY'S stage with whatever he'd let me get by with, and try not to embarrass him too much.

* With IAN, I'd be perfectly comfortable letting him call the shots and just "trading fours". A couple of hours spent that way would be "tasty"!

* With DONNY and FRAN I'd wear the hat (Yes, DAMNIT, The CHICKEN Hat), wear a heavy disguise, enjoy the hell out of myself and, forever...DENY, DENY, DENY, DENY!!!!!!(LOL)

I could go on. The folks mentioned her are in no particular order, and there are LOTS more.

My point is, as Dave said, it's the music that matter. I suspect that we could "sit in" with each other...no rehersal, and KILL!

My recent injury just brought lots of things into focus. Now, all the petty little arguments about which arranger...which type of music....it all seems so pointless. And, my "superior" attitude about styles of music now just seems embarrassing.

I'm still a hard-line jazzer.

But do have an appreciation for other musicians and many (notice, I didn't say ALL) kinds of music.

AS LONG AS WE AS MUSICIANS SHOW EACH OTHER THE RESPECT AND COURTESY WE EACH DESERVE.

From here on out, I'm gonna do just that!

Hey, I'm glad I can still play ANYTHING! Music has been GOOD to me.

You folks are a neat part of that life-long journey.

Thanks, so much,

Russ

#314495 - 01/29/11 06:24 PM Re: Let's appreciate our differences...! [Re: captain Russ]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Russ
+1,

#314498 - 01/29/11 07:51 PM Re: Let's appreciate our differences...! [Re: captain Russ]
rphillipchuk Offline

Loc: Ontario Canada
Captain Russ..
This was a mighty good read smile

Ron

Styles
Yamaha Styles Only
Midi Safe

#314528 - 01/30/11 04:24 AM Re: Let's appreciate our differences...! [Re: captain Russ]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
He just looks tough; he's a real 'softee' on the inside smile. Those that know a little about Russ' musical past should not be surprised at those beautiful chords. He's had some long-term exposure to some real jazz heavyweights, so you could say he's payed his dues. But I'm still in shock with the vocals. Just didn't expect that. Just played it for my wife and she thought it was "beautiful". I don't recall her ever saying that about anything I'VE played (dammit). More importantly though, he's one of my heroes not just because of his mad musical skills, but because of his many humanitarian efforts and his kindness towards those that need his help. Plus, the guy likes motorcycles, how bad can he be? He'll be happy to know that we played that James Taylor tune (Don't let me be lonely tonight) last night at the gig and I saw a lot of smiling faces. After hearing Russ do it, I asked the guys if they knew it and everyone did (except me, I had to wing it :)). It's such a pretty tune, it wasn't hard to make it sound good (that's the importance of tune selection).

Anyhoo, meeting and getting to know Russ has certainly been one of the highlights of being exposed to Synthzone and it's cast of characters.

chas

Edited by cgiles (01/30/11 04:26 AM)

#314531 - 01/30/11 05:59 AM Re: Let's appreciate our differences...! [Re: cgiles]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: cgiles
Anyhoo, meeting and getting to know Russ has certainly been one of the highlights of being exposed to Synthzone and it's cast of characters.

chas

That is so true Chas, and it's nice to see Synth Zone has mellowed out a lot lately...definitely a good thing. I don't think I've seen so much music uploaded in the past as we've been seeing lately...and it's been wonderful learning more about SZ's characters in a musical way.

BTW, I sent you a private message via this forum...did you get it?

Ian the Curious

#314570 - 01/30/11 09:32 AM Re: Let's appreciate our differences...! [Re: captain Russ]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Best post I've read in a while.

I've always said that 99% of the rancor on this forum would immediately disappear if we were face to face and on the bandstand together. Problems tend to arise because of the difficulty expressing yourself on a forum. Some write better than others, some write more informally than others, some can't spell at all (you kno who yu r!), some have difficulty being funny, some have difficulty being serious, etc., etc..

This post says it better than I have ever been able to. I can't think of a single member here I wouldn't be happy to jump onstage with, and have fun.

I'd even wear the hat (but no pictures, please!) wink

#314573 - 01/30/11 09:35 AM Re: Let's appreciate our differences...! [Re: Diki]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
Best post I've read in a while.
I'd even wear the hat (but no pictures, please!) wink

#314579 - 01/30/11 10:45 AM Re: Let's appreciate our differences...! [Re: captain Russ]
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
Russ
Reading your post, I felt the tears falling.
Only the reaction of a sentimental old musician before truths so well written.
Chico

#314852 - 02/01/11 09:10 AM Re: Let's appreciate our differences...! [Re: ChicoBrasil]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Diki, I value committed, talented people, and I believe you're one of the top writers and best informed people on this forum.

Your contributions are certainly valued by me and others. And, you're one of the top musicians here. I listen to what you have to say and regret when you're misunderstood; usually for "telling it like it is".

I GREATLY appreciate our friendship.

Russ

PS, looking at my ramblings, you might guess I've for worked over 40 years as a writer (in the electrical industry) and communications professor.

Years ago, I rightfully earned the title "B'WANA of BS" LOL)

#314866 - 02/01/11 11:41 AM Re: Let's appreciate our differences...! [Re: captain Russ]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Russ that was NO BS .. just some heart felt thoughts ... And my ego is big enough to think that I am the 'Tony' you meant and I am honored ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online