Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#314167 - 01/27/11 09:07 PM kn6000 midi question
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I am about to try this software for a music project I am helping a friend with:

http://www.notation.com/NotationComposer.php

Apparently, I will have to use the midi connections on the kn6000 in order to be able to play a melody line that the software will create a 'lead sheet' for ...

I am using Windows XP ...are there special drivers that I would need to install to make this work? ...

Thanks for any assistance ...

#314244 - 01/28/11 10:43 AM Re: kn6000 midi question [Re: tony mads usa]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
Tony, I don't know the answer to your specific question. Surely someone on the forum has the answer. Alec?

As we talked about before, I use a small four octave Novation midi controller, that just plugs into my computer USB port, to do notation work. (I know the 6000 has no USB capability)

I looked at the Notation Composer web site. Liked what I saw. If you choose to play the song directly into the software, there will be a lot of editing needed. I didn't see a quantize function but surely it is there. You will need that. In the past when I started from scratch, I usually found that entering the notes in a step function worked best for me, rather than recording as I played a song. Good luck.

#314282 - 01/28/11 01:50 PM Re: kn6000 midi question [Re: tony mads usa]
mordicus Offline

Loc: Montreal
Hi Tony,
The only drivers you will need, if not already installed, are the one used by your MIDI interface device (if you have one). I mean one that interface with your KN6000 MIDI connections to the USB port of your computer like a M-Audio MidiSport device. Then Windows XP and your Notation program should "see" your KN6000.

Serge

#314338 - 01/28/11 07:37 PM Re: kn6000 midi question [Re: tony mads usa]
tassiespirit Offline

Loc: Devonport, Tasmania, Australia
Tony, do as above, or install your KN6000 drivers andtry it again. If not try:- http://www.notation.com/Support.php
and click on "Submit a question" to see if it is a proprietory issue, with Notation. It shouldn't be.

Allan

#314537 - 01/30/11 07:08 AM Re: kn6000 midi question [Re: tony mads usa]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Tony, I downloaded Notation Composer to compare it to other software that I was familiar with. It does have a Quantize function which will be useful for what you want to do.

It can export Music XML files so that the file it makes can be transferred to other notation software. But it does not support import of Music XML files. This means that it can not import files from music OCR programs that can scan existing music sheets and create XML files (like SharpEye for example). I use scanned music sheets often when I want to edit the song files to format them for my Music Pad Pro or to simply make chord changes from an existing sheet.

Edited by Bob Hendershot (01/30/11 07:18 AM)

#314741 - 01/31/11 03:54 PM Re: kn6000 midi question [Re: tony mads usa]
tony mads usa Offline

The saga continues ... I looked at the kn6000 manual and see that I need an SZ-JJAT1 cable to connect to the PC, which I doubt is going to be available - I have written to Walt Tenay to see if by any chance there is one of these cables 'lying around' ...

If not, would I need one of these?:
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MIDISPORT1x1.html ...

If so, would I just need a standard midi cable going from the kn6000 connection as shown here:
http://www.csweb.lar.panasonic.com/viewing/ALL/SX-KN6500/SVC/eq05_01.pdf
into the MidiSport and then some standard connector from the MidiSport to my PC?

As you can tell, I am a REAL NEOPHYTE at this midi stuff ...

thnx once again ...

#314750 - 01/31/11 04:29 PM Re: kn6000 midi question [Re: tony mads usa]
tassiespirit Offline

tazI have one of those cables, I bought it for may KN5000, now it's sold I don't need it. I will get a pic of it and send to anyone would is interested - you pay for postage/ packaging though.

#314752 - 01/31/11 04:50 PM Re: kn6000 midi question [Re: tassiespirit]
tassiespirit Offline

tazFound that cable, in it's original packaging.

It says HOSA DBK-110 Cable sound module to PC, 10 FT. It's a 8 pin to 9 pin 'D' connector.

Any good to you??? smile

#314753 - 01/31/11 04:52 PM Re: kn6000 midi question [Re: tony mads usa]
Bob Hendershot Offline

I had forgotten that I bought a Roland UM-1 USB/MIDI adapter from George Kaye a about 7 or 8 years ago. Found it a few minutes ago. It will do the job for you Tony. I'm not sure if Windows will see it without a driver. (Can't remember) But you should be able to find anything you need on the Internet. Send me an email with your snail mail address and I'll send it to you. I have no need for it. My address is in my profile.

There is a driver at http://www.roland.com/products/en/_support/dld.cfm?PRODUCT=UM-1X

Edited by Bob Hendershot (01/31/11 04:55 PM)

#314763 - 01/31/11 06:52 PM Re: kn6000 midi question [Re: Bob Hendershot]
tony mads usa Offline

WOW ... that's quick response ... thanks to both of you ...
taz ... Since Bob is here in the USA I will try his cable first ... but thank you very much for the offer ...
Bob ... you will be getting mail ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online