SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#313612 - 01/23/11 10:18 AM Zoom H4n automatic shutoff
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Anyone know if H4n will automatically shut itself off after x-minutes of use? So far, it's not shutting off. I can't find it in manual. If it doesn't do this, why not? If you are not using it for, say, ten minutes, why doesn't it just power off? Tascam DR-07 is the same... why are they like this if they are?

#313652 - 01/23/11 02:59 PM Re: Zoom H4n automatic shutoff [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Bill ... my H4n does not shut off ... actually, I wouldn't want it to ... there are many times when I am doing some recordings that I may want to set up some panel memories (registrations) which may take me a while ... I don't think I would want the recorder turning off while I am doing that ...

#313761 - 01/24/11 01:09 PM Re: Zoom H4n automatic shutoff [Re: tony mads usa]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Have you written to Zoom to request this? They seem pretty good at adding stuff the users want (H4 to H4n added quite a lot that I had talked to them about), and it sure couldn't hurt to contact them.

Mind you, as little power as they draw, leaving mine on is little hassle, and powering it down manually gives me more confidence it won't do it when I DON'T want it to happen!

Sort of like my computer. Normal use, yes, I set it to sleep after 15 mins. or so, but when I'm booted into my OS for making music, sleep is ALWAYS set to 'Never'...

#313767 - 01/24/11 01:43 PM Re: Zoom H4n automatic shutoff [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
My H2 has a feature that turns off the back light after a preselected time, which is a battery saver. As Diki stated, it draws very little power at all, and if I recall correctly, you can record continuously up to 2 hours using fresh batteries.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#313817 - 01/24/11 08:34 PM Re: Zoom H4n automatic shutoff [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Plus, except for when I am recording in the field (and there, I can set the H4n to 'Endurance Mode' where it records only 16/44 .wav's and the batteries last about 12 hours!), I always have the Zoom plugged into its' wall-wart...

#313832 - 01/24/11 09:14 PM Re: Zoom H4n automatic shutoff [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I use rechargeable batteries constantly, that is the reason for the question. I don't see a reason NOT to have it shut down automatically after x-minutes.

Tony, your comment, I don't understand. Why don't you just NOT turn it on until you need to start using it?

It's not a deal killer, since batteries are rechargeable, I'm just surprised it isn't a feature for devices like this. I mean, if you have not used it in an hour or whatever, you've forgotten about it.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online