SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#312365 - 01/14/11 09:14 AM Re: Learning Chords [Re: Glen Coyne]
mordicus Offline

Loc: Montreal
Hi Glen,

Ever tried the Chord Step recording solution? Il you're more a pianist then organist like me and like to have a moving left hand instead of almost static, or if you want to practice your chord inversions in a song without bothering to snap in the right chord at the right moment, try it. No more split point, and you can play freely with both hands across the keyboard while the band is accompanying you in the background.

Serge

#312366 - 01/14/11 09:17 AM Re: Learning Chords [Re: Glen Coyne]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
Those are valid points, Roger. I guess it depends on their objective. If they really want to play well and progress, they should force themselves to "do it right" at the beginning even if it means a lousy right hand. And, you are right, until the left hand gets almost automatic, the right hand will suffer. But, if they just want to make music right away with no future objective in mind, one finger chords will do just fine.

#312368 - 01/14/11 09:18 AM Re: Learning Chords [Re: Glen Coyne]
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
Gotta jump in "hear".... BOB.... The reason I and maybe others play only 3 finger chords is.... I never learned to read the bass clef or use my left hand!

Never had lessons.... Taught myself to play treble cleff at about 10 years old.... Never played piano... just a 12 bass accordion, guitar, autoharp, and harmonica. In the early '90's (that is 1990's) I learned that it is possible to play an electronic piano keyboard bass with 1, 2, or 3 fingers! I knew I could do that!!! Found a KN1000 in a pawn shop in Colorado Springs and a lady who already had one to teach me how to work with it....

I have never claimed to be a pro musician, never will. I do not like "labels"....I just play and sing up a storm and have found that my Nursing Home "peeps" are very appreciative.... So is my Clyde cat....

Playing music is great fun, and great therapy. I have no real interest in learning to read/play the bass clef although I can hear the difference....

#312375 - 01/14/11 10:01 AM Re: Learning Chords [Re: Glen Coyne]
Bob Hendershot Offline

HI Elizabeth, I have no issue with you on this. There is no need for reading bass clef in what I meant to convey. I thought I was comparing the use of a single finger on the C key to get a C chord as opposed to playing all three notes of the chord with the left hand. And, I have no issue with using three notes to get a chord that some play with four notes.

#313590 - 01/23/11 06:17 AM Re: Learning Chords [Re: RMepstead]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Great topic. – How to learn chords on a keyboard.
I played pro guitar for many years so when I turned to keyboard I tried to use the same method.
1-The most important chord is the I chord.
2-The second most is the V chord
3-The V chord going to the I chord is the most used
4-I like to add the IIm7 chord to my V chord
Example: I – IIm7 – V – I
In C major – C – Dm7 – G7 –C
I played these chords in one position as I did with guitar. Learn this chord progression starting with the I chord in root position. Keep in mind there are many common notes in the progression. Once you can play the progression without thought start the I chord in in the next inversion. Ex, CEG – EGC –GCE .
Once your hand has learned to make these moves you no longer have to concentrate, it just happens. This is one of the key points of playing without music.
Four note chords – My thinking. CMaj7 root position. Fingering 1 2 4 5. Move up one note Dm7 same fingering. Move another Em7, then FMa7, G7, Am7. All use the same fingering.
Many times when I have the I chord (C) for eight beats I play CMaj7, Dm7, Em7. Then back to the CMaj7.
All four note chords all the same fingering. This is a start.

Hope this helps, John C.

#313617 - 01/23/11 10:37 AM Re: Learning Chords [Re: Glen Coyne]
etwo4788 Offline

Bob.... No issue with you either.... I appreciate all the help you have provided....very much.... I just wish you would get an RV and come out here to NM and be my neighbor!!!

John C.....HUH? I still have no desire to learn to read the Bass clef....I am a happy camper using 3 finger chording. You are absolutely correct in your statement that the hand learns to make whatever the moves might be. I never have to look anywhere other than at the music....

Sometimes I look at all the smiley faces in my audience.... and some of my "peeps' are asleep too! Then there is one guy, named John, who hollers and pounds on the table! I know he likes the music because a few years ago he told me he plays harmonica... I told him to bring it and play along! He did....only challenge was that he played the same tune over and over and no one knew what he was playing! There was a drummer who set up his drums next to me and did the same thing John did.... I was able to just shut out the sounds he was making....then the drummer died.

I see new faces from time to time, They dance, they sing, they sleep, they smile and grab my hands and kiss, or pat....

If John wants to holler and pound the table, I am okay with that.
Every moment I am with them, playing for them, is a joy for me as well as for them....They don't care how or what I play....

So I am off topic! I do tend to ramble on.....

Elizabeth

#313625 - 01/23/11 11:49 AM Re: Learning Chords [Re: Glen Coyne]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Elizabeth, there are not many people who really find what is important in life. You are one of the few.

I'm too old to start RV'ing again . . .

#313630 - 01/23/11 12:22 PM Re: Learning Chords [Re: Glen Coyne]
Bob Hendershot Offline

There are some good points made by the instructor at this web site. Excellent ideas for determining chord progressions. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXIEmMDwc7E&feature=related

#313643 - 01/23/11 01:56 PM Re: Learning Chords [Re: Glen Coyne]
etwo4788 Offline

BOB... Good link....However, she lost me after 5 mins....my eyes glazed over!

P.S. I too am too old to RV anymore.... though I am not too old to live in my moho! Just do not want to travel anymore than I want to learn to play chords with 4 fingers instead of 3!

#313697 - 01/24/11 05:45 AM Re: Learning Chords [Re: RMepstead]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Lot’s of good opinions here. Here is a different view – I use my left hand as an Organ player adding flavor to the song. My chords tell a story in themselves. Without the melody my left hand and my voice are fairly complete, that leaves my right hand to add more flavor. Using my left hand in this manner gives me the freedom to have a free hand to make changes. Learning four not chords is not much harder than learning three note chords if you start from the beginning. Because of my guitar background I love adding to a chord – I can’t imagine playing a “C” chord for eight beats without adding a Maj7 or a 6th or whatever.
When I use my right hand for melody I play against my left hand, it is very much like having a guitar player behind your melody. There times my left hand place with a pulse and times where I add some single notes. I come from the school that enjoys a challenge and understand we are not all the same.
John C.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online