Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#313686 - 01/23/11 11:08 PM Ian in the 70s ... what an awesome setup
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
ianmcnll
Me at work in the 70's...in front of me...Roland Electronic Piano atop Polymoog Synthesizer (the piano was plugged into the Polymoog's filters for a great clavinet sound).

At my right, a Roland SH-2000 analog mono synth atop a Wurlitzer 200A Electric piano.

State of the art gear back then.

Ian

How tasty this setup is. While modern keyboards are much more convenient I am not sure they would even come close to surpassing the sound quality. While emulation is nice it certainly isn't the real thing.

Attachments
ianmcnll.jpg

#313687 - 01/23/11 11:23 PM Re: Ian in the 70s ... what an awesome setup [Re: Nigel]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Hey, Nigel...thank you very kindly for your interest, and for posting this old picture.

As unreliable as the Polymoog (a 203A model) was when I first got it, a friend helped me upgrade the instrument so it rarely gave any issues, and it stayed in tune much better...it had a 71 note (E-D), velocity sensitive, semi weighted keyboard (one of the first synths to be so equipped) and it was fully polyphonic, meaning all the keys would sound...it was splittable three ways.

AND...no midi whatsoever on any of the keyboards...it was still a gleam in the eye of Dave Smith, of Sequential Circuits and Prophet 5 (among others)fame.

As the song says, "Those were the days, my friend...."

Ian

#313688 - 01/23/11 11:36 PM Re: Ian in the 70s ... what an awesome setup [Re: ianmcnll]
Nigel Offline
Admin

I can imagine how wonderful it sounded. Like I said emulation is very convenient but it aint the real thing.

#313691 - 01/24/11 12:18 AM Re: Ian in the 70s ... what an awesome setup [Re: Nigel]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Ian, very cool shot of you back in the day surrounded by that awesome classic keyboard collection.
Which ones do you still own and play, and which are your favs? Thanks for sharing that bud. smile

#313692 - 01/24/11 12:55 AM Re: Ian in the 70s ... what an awesome setup [Re: Scottyee]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Good question Scott, I too am interested in which of these keyboards Ian still has ... if any cos it was so long ago.

#313701 - 01/24/11 06:46 AM Re: Ian in the 70s ... what an awesome setup [Re: Nigel]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Nigel
Quote:
ianmcnll
Me at work in the 70's...in front of me...Roland Electronic Piano atop Polymoog Synthesizer (the piano was plugged into the Polymoog's filters for a great clavinet sound).

At my right, a Roland SH-2000 analog mono synth atop a Wurlitzer 200A Electric piano.

State of the art gear back then.

Ian

How tasty this setup is. While modern keyboards are much more convenient I am not sure they would even come close to surpassing the sound quality. While emulation is nice it certainly isn't the real thing.

Oh the memories smile (sigh) brings me back to my 60's rock days setups for sure. Arrangers weren't even thought of yet.

#313718 - 01/24/11 09:22 AM Re: Ian in the 70s ... what an awesome setup [Re: Nigel]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Nigel
I can imagine how wonderful it sounded. Like I said emulation is very convenient but it aint the real thing.

But then isnīt every musician trying to create his own sound, who wants to sound just like someone else?

Just compare the possibilities of a Kronos/laptop combination with the old 70's gear and you'know we went ahead in time and not backwards...

But then for Nostalgic reasons the foto is awesome, and it shows why they invented roadies in those days...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#313724 - 01/24/11 10:00 AM Re: Ian in the 70s ... what an awesome setup [Re: Scottyee]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Scottyee
Ian, very cool shot of you back in the day surrounded by that awesome classic keyboard collection.
Which ones do you still own and play, and which are your favs? Thanks for sharing that bud. smile

Hi Scott...the type of music I was playing with that particular group required all those instruments.

They were all being played through two Fender Twin Reverbs, with Celestion full range speakers (12") substituted for the originals.

I still had my Rhodes at the time, plus an old Hammond M-3 (with 147RV Leslie), but didn't use them in that group.

Of all the instruments in that picture, only the Roland SH-2000 has remained.

I replaced the Polymoog with a Roland Jupiter 8 (which I still have), the the Wurly (and the Rhodes) were eventually supplanted by a Yamaha DX-7 (and then a DX7II), none of which I have today.

What is amazing, is how many of those old classic sounds are recreated in the Tyros/PSR...certainly not as rich and variable, but without all the maintenance required on some of those earlier instruments.

The gear necessitated a big vehicle, back then it was a second-hand 1959 GMC V-8 Suburban with a big ol' 4-speed stick.

Also, moving it required a buddy to help out.

Nigel is right about those old instruments having a certain quality not found in emulations...especially the "experience" of playing on those older keyboard actions, and using those real time sliders and knobs.

Ian

#313731 - 01/24/11 10:45 AM Re: Ian in the 70s ... what an awesome setup [Re: Nigel]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway

Ian, my hat off, SALUT! smile

#313732 - 01/24/11 10:45 AM Re: Ian in the 70s ... what an awesome setup [Re: ianmcnll]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Originally Posted By: Scottyee

Hi Scott...the type of music I was playing with that particular group required all those instruments.

They were all being played through two Fender Twin Reverbs, with Celestion full range speakers (12") substituted for the originals.

I still had my Rhodes at the time, plus an old Hammond M-3 (with 147RV Leslie), but didn't use them in that group.

Of all the instruments in that picture, only the Roland SH-2000 has remained.

I replaced the Polymoog with a Roland Jupiter 8 (which I still have), the the Wurly (and the Rhodes) were eventually supplanted by a Yamaha DX-7 (and then a DX7II), none of which I have today.

What is amazing, is how many of those old classic sounds are recreated in the Tyros/PSR...certainly not as rich and variable, but without all the maintenance required on some of those earlier instruments.

The gear necessitated a big vehicle, back then it was a second-hand 1959 GMC V-8 Suburban with a big ol' 4-speed stick.

Also, moving it required a buddy to help out.

Nigel is right about those old instruments having a certain quality not found in emulations...especially the "experience" of playing on those older keyboard actions, and using those real time sliders and knobs.

Ian

And today a simple KRONOS units would suffice smile

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online