SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#313744 - 01/24/11 11:58 AM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: kbrkr]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Originally Posted By: kbrkr
Geez Chas, are the hemorrhoids acting up again?

You could learn a thing or two about being a gentleman and civility from us 12 and under posters.

Whereas from this he could learn how to escalate an argument. Nice!

The thing that struck me was, I didn't see Jarrett PLAY an arranger AT ALL. I saw him play two sounds off of a keyboard. A novelty vocal scat sound and a piano sound (curious how little time he spent on the piano sound...). But he didn't use the arranger at all, and the demonstrators insistence on trying tragically to get it to play along with HIM seemed merely to annoy him (as it would have done me).

It's pretty obvious from this clip that Keith has absolutely no interest in an arranger whatsoever. He might be interested in a sound it makes, but as far as turning on any automatic accompaniment, that seems certain he wasn't the SLIGHTEST bit interested in that!

Sorry, guys, I know they are your 'babies' and all that, but when you get to play with the cream of the world's sidemen, all an arranger does is demonstrate just how unmusical, uncreative and unresponsive it is. Maybe it can give a local slug a run for his money, but the guys that Jarrett plays with make arranger output look like the mechanical, repetitive predictable stuff it really IS.

If this clip was 'historic', it was historical only in demonstrating how uninterested in arrangers he was...

Me, I though it more 'hysterical'..!

(BTW, if Keith had done exactly the same thing on a Korg, or a Roland, or any other brand, I would feel the same way. This isn't a Tyros rant. They ALL suck compared to Keith's usual bandmates!)

#313745 - 01/24/11 12:00 PM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Scottyee]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Hey, Scott. I can't believe there is anyone here who hasn't heard of Keith.

I guess that proves how out of synch I can be sometimes.

Chas is right...Keith is a little "scrambled" in his thought processes when you talk to him, but what a world class player!

I believe it's cool that he was open-minded enough to look at something different.

I believe we may never know what he thought of it.

But. I'd like to know...

I can understand why Scotty was excited about running into Keith looking at the T4. And, I can understand why Chas believes it might be no more significant than what you or I would do at a show...show polite, passing interest in something new.

I would have been pleased to see Keith doing whatever he was doing at NAMM and leave it at that.

Russ

#313746 - 01/24/11 12:05 PM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: kbrkr]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: kbrkr
You could learn a thing or two about being a gentleman and civility from us 12 and under posters.

Well that's not the worse thing I've ever read on SZ but it is one of the most arrogant. So I guess you see it as your duty to dispense morality lessons from your high perch. Scott posted an opinion; I posted an alternative viewpoint. Some agreed with me and some agreed with Scott. Some waited to see which way the wind was blowing before deciding to pile on.

Disagreeing with someone does not constitute being uncivil. I never said anything disrespectful to Scott or Nigel or anyone else, unless you count defending myself from Stephen's 'piling on' remarks. Again, read what I said in my original post and point out the 'uncivil' parts. And in the future, don't lecture me on civility. The only moral authority you have is what you have conveyed upon yourself. Stating my opinion in a non-offensive manner on an impersonal and subjective topic does not make me uncivil or less of a gentleman. It's very easy to label people that you don't like to begin with (which is the case here, I suspect). Live and let live, I say. You keep your opinions about me to yourself and I'll do the same for you.

Peace,

chas

#313754 - 01/24/11 12:36 PM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Scottyee]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I spent a whole afternoon with Oscar Peterson on the Yamaha PSR-9000 Pro, which he purchased along with a CVP-109 at the time.

Oscar was simply fascinated with the arranger aspect of the 9000 Pro, and, it was nice to see a man of his talent be so open minded, and open to new things.

The musician, Sting, was and is also big on arrangers, as is Darryl Hall of Hall & Oates fame.

Nashville Row has a room full of arrangers (mainly PSR-S-Series)used to create demos quickly, and painlessly.

The arranger keyboard is just another tool, and, it is used, mostly by those open-minded enough to see the benefits, and who aren't worried about their peers looking down on them for it.

There are several like that on this forum, and there are also those who think arrangers aren't legit and they are just too good talent wise, to be seen or heard playing one.

What a shame...and what a pity they really don't see the intrinsic value of an arranger, like being able to re-arrange tunes on the fly, practise and perform on your own schedule, have total control of the mix, and also control over what instruments get featured, etc.

Personally, I really like using an arranger....I'm a pro piano/organ/synth player and I am not concerned about who thinks what I do is legit or not.

That is not my problem...it is their problem.

As has been said many times here on this forum,

"Enjoy what you play."

Ian

PS...Years ago there were those who balked against using an electric guitar, an electric piano/organ, or electronic drums, string machines, Mellotrons, Fairlights...thankfully, most of us here managed to embrace such great advances, rather than resist them.

#313756 - 01/24/11 12:43 PM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: ianmcnll]
Diki Offline

Completely agree, Ian. But IN THIS CASE, I'm sorry, but the 'historical' implications completely slipped by me.

If Keith had have been the SLIGHTEST bit interested in the arranger itself, perhaps he would have quit noodling EWF on those scat sounds, and tried some of the jazz and fusion backing styles?

Main thing about arrangers being used by writers and composers of any standing is, I can GUARANTEE that, by the time the song gets recorded for release, REAL musicians are playing all the parts. That's the difference between THEM and US, I guess!

#313772 - 01/24/11 01:56 PM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Diki]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Diki
Completely agree, Ian. But IN THIS CASE, I'm sorry, but the 'historical' implications completely slipped by me.

If Keith had have been the SLIGHTEST bit interested in the arranger itself, perhaps he would have quit noodling EWF on those scat sounds, and tried some of the jazz and fusion backing styles?

Main thing about arrangers being used by writers and composers of any standing is, I can GUARANTEE that, by the time the song gets recorded for release, REAL musicians are playing all the parts. That's the difference between THEM and US, I guess!

Well, I didn't comment on the "historical" implications because Jarrett's time on the Tyros4 was longer than what we saw on the video...so, he may have noodled on the styles too...anyway, the jury is still out on it...sure would shock a few here if Keith actually bought one.

I have several friends who are pros and exceptional players that love using the arranger, mainly for the reasons I stated above, but also because arrangers sound far better than they used to, and a skilful player can really get a nice performance out of one.

Perhaps Oscar is/was an exception...he was a real "gadget nut"...he also used a Synclavier for recording and composition...kind of progressive for a jazzer like him.

His reaction to the 9000 Pro was so utterly positive...we were like two little kids playing with a model train set...and he played some amazing stuff on it.

A very humble and very personable gentleman....I was very lucky to get to meet him.

Ian

#313774 - 01/24/11 02:11 PM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Scottyee]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Yes Ian, I too was told that Jarret spent some time AFTER the vid stopped, discussing it an playing some more...So folks here should not be so quick to assume it was mere "noodling".

Iceberg theory hey!!!

#313784 - 01/24/11 02:49 PM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Scottyee]
arranger_yes_pc_no Offline

very cool video.....and Baartmans is no joke either...

#313803 - 01/24/11 06:02 PM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: arranger_yes_pc_no]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: arranger_yes_pc_no
very cool video.....and Baartmans is no joke either...

Baartmans should give lessons to the KORG demonstrators..;)

#313814 - 01/24/11 08:22 PM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Scottyee]
Diki Offline

I'm sure that if Jarrett spent any time on the arranger section, the videographer would have posted that front and center...

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online