SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#313540 - 01/22/11 07:25 PM Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I'm really excited to present this exclusive video clip of Jazz & Classical keyboardist legend Keith Jarrett, checking out and jammin' on the Yamaha Tyros 4 keyboard @ Namm last Saturday. The video starts out with Peter Baartmans demonstrating Tyros 4, and then Jarrett steps in to add his hand to the song improvisation. A few minutes later, he's given the opportunity to sit down and give the Tyros 4 a workout! This is truly an incredible rare treat to watch this jazz & classical keyboard master play Tyros 4. I'm sure Martin & Peter will not forget this moment either. If this video doesn't convince arranger naysayers now that arranger keyboards (specifically Tyros 4) not worthy of respect by the world's elite pro jazz & classical keyboardists, think again! I willing to bet Mr. Jarret owns a Tyros 4 now! smile

Also, many thanks to my sz buddy Tapas Das for capturing this truly memorable arranger event. cool

#313545 - 01/22/11 08:31 PM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Scottyee]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
That's just truly wonderful, thanks so much for sharing that. What an awesome treat. And I also bet Keith has one now.

#313546 - 01/22/11 08:36 PM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Scottyee]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
So this is what you were telling me about last night on the phone.

Man, Jarrett is one of my favorites...a true legend for sure.

I'm waiting with sweaty palms for my Tyros4...should be shipping to me first of the week, if everything goes as planned.

My demo Tyros3 is officially sold, and in the hands of it's new owner, who is none other than Glen Campbell's former (many years ago) on-the-road piano player/keyboardist, Johnny Coy...a 72 year old veteran player who moved back to Cape Breton upon retiring. He's an awesome jazz player, as well as a fine country pianist. He also has my old demo unit PSR-9000 Pro, which he still loves and plays.

I love going to his place and hear him play arranger.

The Tyros is not your father's arranger, although it could become your father's arranger.

Thanks for the incredible surprise, Scott...you weren't kidding.

Ian

#313547 - 01/22/11 09:46 PM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Scottyee]
Beakybird Offline

That's an awesome video.

It didn't take Jarrett long to get the lay of the land.

Well, I feel like a Neanderthal cave painter watch Rembrandt at the brush.

Wow.

#313551 - 01/22/11 10:23 PM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Beakybird]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Super Stuff...can't get enough...

Thanks to all for sharing

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#313552 - 01/22/11 10:24 PM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Beakybird]
Dnj Offline

very kool video, interesting ....but for me those shoo bee doo wop sounds start to get real old fast...
he really looked confused playing on an arranger KB.....
probably doesn't play one much....wonder if he would really buy one for himself?

#313554 - 01/22/11 10:29 PM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Dnj]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Originally Posted By: Dnj
wonder if he would really buy one for himself?

You gotta be kidding lmao ... do you really think Yamaha would make Keith Jarret buy one ... rofl I am betting they would give it to him just to have him be seen using one. That would be worth millions to them. And take it into account that is probably one of his first times using an arranger so of course it would seem a little unfamliar. And he wasn't choosing patches, it was just a demo session where he was playing what was punched in. Donny did you even stop to think about what you were watching before you commented?

#313557 - 01/22/11 10:38 PM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Nigel]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Nigel
wonder if he would really buy one for himself?

You gotta be kidding lmao ... do you really think Yamaha would make Keith Jarret buy one ... rofl I am betting they would give it to him just to have him be seen using one. That would be worth millions to them.

Yep, getting a Tyros4 in Keith Jarrett's hands would be worth waaaaaaay more in publicity than any ad.

He seemed to be impressed with the instrument...I bet he wishes it had 88 keys.

Of course, he could always look into the next CVP-series....hee hee.

Ian

#313558 - 01/22/11 10:39 PM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Scottyee]
Dnj Offline

sorry Nigel....but I'm not a jazzer at all ...quite honestly I have never heard of him until I read this post... I guess we're all into different kinds of music....

#313559 - 01/22/11 10:43 PM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: ianmcnll]
Nigel Offline
Admin

I'm very impressed with what I am hearing from the Tyros 4. Maybe it could replace my Motif 6 in my live band as a solo keyboard and still give me a great arranger to use at home.

#313560 - 01/22/11 10:46 PM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Nigel]
Dnj Offline

I'm very impressed with what I am hearing from the Tyros 4. Maybe it could replace my Motif 6 in my live band as a solo keyboard and still give me a great arranger to use at home.

Now thats a great Idea Nigel....these arrangers are so versatile....you can really do anything with them..on stage or at home in the studio etc ......the Tyros4 sounds fantastic.

#313564 - 01/22/11 11:20 PM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Dnj]
Nigel Offline
Admin

sorry Nigel....but I'm not a jazzer at all ...quite honestly I have never heard of him until I read this post... I guess we're all into different kinds of music....

Donny no problem it is just that Keith Jarret is a keyboard jazz legend who ranks with Dave Brubeck and Chick Corea. I'm surprised you aren't aware of him. Having him play the Tyros is actually a historic event.

#313573 - 01/23/11 12:35 AM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Nigel]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
And that right there Nigel, is the very simple transition in the way that people think about arrangers that needs to happen for arrangers to be the go to instrument for professionals and hobbyists alike.

This is the simple point i have been making for years, whether you use auto accompaniment in its fullest or striped down to bass and drum or use the keyboard as a solo instrument or as part of a live band , an aranger is all things to all people. Forhget that it is called an arranger keyboard. Its simply a keyboard with options !

If Keith Jarret or some other big name spent a full day with a tyros or korg they could make incredible music and have just as much fun doing it as they do o their current gear.

Edited by spalding1968 (01/23/11 12:51 AM)

#313585 - 01/23/11 05:17 AM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Scottyee]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Scott great video. Who would have expected Keith Jarrett at a Tyros4?

#313601 - 01/23/11 09:45 AM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Nigel]
Scottyee Offline

Keith Jarrett is a keyboard jazz legend who ranks with Dave Brubeck and Chick Corea . . . Having him play the Tyros is actually a historic event.

Nigel, This most "definitely" felt like an "arranger keyboard historic event" for me as well smile , especially in light of this recent synthzone thread, in which Chas (cgiles) stated:

Originally Posted By: cgiles
Although no one here will admit it, NO ONE but ARRANGER PLAYERS consider these keyboards as 'legitimate' instruments. That doesn't mean that some of the people that use them or make a living with them, aren't legitimate musicians or even good or great musicians; it just means that the established musical mainstream does not consider them as 'legitimate' instruments . Why then, do they command such little respect and even some derision, within the community of professional working (excluding OMB's) musicians.

At last smile , I can finally feel the music establishment's long time anti-arranger tide changing. - Scott cool

#313605 - 01/23/11 10:06 AM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Scottyee]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Scottyee
Keith Jarrett is a keyboard jazz legend who ranks with Dave Brubeck and Chick Corea . . . Having him play the Tyros is actually a historic event.

Nigel, This most "definitely" felt like an "arranger keyboard historic event" for me as well smile , especially in light of this recent synthzone thread, in which Chas (cgiles) stated:

Although no one here will admit it, NO ONE but ARRANGER PLAYERS consider these keyboards as 'legitimate' instruments. That doesn't mean that some of the people that use them or make a living with them, aren't legitimate musicians or even good or great musicians; it just means that the established musical mainstream does not consider them as 'legitimate' instruments . Why then, do they command such little respect and even some derision, within the community of professional working (excluding OMB's) musicians.

At last smile , I can finally feel the music establishment's long time anti-arranger tide changing. - Scott cool

Scott I dont get it........all the guy did was pass by the Yammy stall and was offered to play a few riffs on T4 with baartmans direction....that doesn't mean super pros are now into arrangers does it?...

#313607 - 01/23/11 10:09 AM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Scottyee]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
OH, Donny, Donny ..... let Scott have his moment, will ya?
smile

#313609 - 01/23/11 10:15 AM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
smile

Just being honest Dave wink....now if Jon Lord stopped by to play a T4 I'd might get excited smile

#313618 - 01/23/11 10:41 AM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

smile

Just being honest Dave wink....now if Jon Lord stopped by to play a T4 I'd might get excited smile

Or if Tony Monaco sat down and played the S910, using the incredibly good SA Jazz Rotary patch.

I do understand Scott's excitement, and yes, it does, to me, legitimize arranger use a little more...Lord (not Jon) knows, we've been often regarded as "not really playing" by the so-called "real deals" out there.

Thing is, I'm an experienced piano/organ/synth player with many years in bands and as a soloist...it takes a lot of work, time and just plain old creativity to make an arranger sound nice and "live" instead of boom-ticky-ticky-boom-ticky-ticky...just as much as it does doing a creative performance on piano, organ or synthesizer.

The arranger is just another "tool" in the modern (some would say, "hip") keyboardist's toolbox...that's all it is.

Ian

#313619 - 01/23/11 10:41 AM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Scottyee]
Scottyee Offline

Dave, I think "all of us here" smile being arranger keyboardists, should be cheering that as a historic 'arrange keyboardr' occasion.

Donny, you need to realize it was Keith Jarrett himself that took more than a casual interest to stop to checkout the Tyros 4 keyboard, and then drawn to sit down and jam on it too. It's obvious from the clip that he took more than a passing interest in it, as he continued to ask questions and play even more after the videoclip ended. Keith Jarrett may mean nothing to you, but millions of keyboard musicians around the world look up and respect him as both a jazz and classical keyboardist legend. smile

That said, I would have also been impressed if it were Jon Lord showing interest in Tyros 4 too, and I bet if he were there, he would too. wink

#313621 - 01/23/11 11:13 AM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Scottyee]
Dnj Offline

Dave, I think "all of us here" smile being arranger keyboardists, should be cheering that as a historic 'arrange keyboardr' occasion.

Donny, you need to realize it was Keith Jarrett himself that took more than a casual interest to stop to checkout the Tyros 4 keyboard, and then drawn to sit down and jam on it too. It's obvious from the clip that he took more than a passing interest in it, as he continued to ask questions and play even more after the videoclip ended. Keith Jarrett may mean nothing to you, but millions of keyboard musicians around the world look up and respect him as both a jazz and classical keyboardist legend. smile

That said, I would have also been impressed if it were Jon Lord showing interest in Tyros 4 too, and I bet if he were there, he would too. wink

Ok Scott I can see your excitement.....enjoy the moment.

#313622 - 01/23/11 11:17 AM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: ianmcnll]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
smile

Or if Tony Monaco sat down and played the S910, using the incredibly good SA Jazz Rotary patch.

I do understand Scott's excitement, and yes, it does, to me, legitimize arranger use a little more...Lord (not Jon) knows, we've been often regarded as "not really playing" by the so-called "real deals" out there.

Thing is, I'm an experienced piano/organ/synth player with many years in bands and as a soloist...it takes a lot of work, time and just plain old creativity to make an arranger sound nice and "live" instead of boom-ticky-ticky-boom-ticky-ticky...just as much as it does doing a creative performance on piano, organ or synthesizer.

The arranger is just another "tool" in the modern (some would say, "hip") keyboardist's toolbox...that's all it is.

Ian

I feel legitimacy can only be obtained with a merging of Synth WS/Arranger KB...until then separation of thought will remain.
That is the manufacturers trump card and cash cow lets face it after all thats their bottom line.

#313624 - 01/23/11 11:39 AM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Scottyee]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I applaud capturing this on video, but I agree, it is not that meaningful. After he walked away, he might've said to his group, "Gee, what a cheesy piece of crap that is... 61-key toy with light action and all that stupid doo-wop stuff." (That's not my opinion of T4, I'm just saying what is said on here sometimes.) Then again, he might love the T4. THAT would be something. Money talks, they should approach him.

PS -- Thanks for posting, Scott (and Tapas), it is pretty cool!

#313626 - 01/23/11 12:08 PM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Originally Posted By: SemiLiveMusic
I applaud capturing this on video, but I agree, it is not that meaningful. After he walked away, he might've said to his group, "Gee, what a cheesy piece of crap that is...

I really don't think so or he certainly wouldn't have sat down and played ... and kept playing. He obviously became curious enough to play around while the demonstator was playing. Then decided to sit down and investigate some more. Anything musical that someone of the stature of Jarret does is meaningful and deserves attention no matter how casual.

#313632 - 01/23/11 12:35 PM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Scottyee]
Scottyee Offline

"Still waiting" to find out what Chas (cgiles) and Capt. Russ' take is on all this! laugh

#313642 - 01/23/11 01:43 PM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Scottyee]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
"Still waiting" to find out what Chas (cgiles) and Capt. Russ' take is on all this! laugh

Same as Donny's (and that's rare for me smile ). He just happens to be right, well REALISTIC, about what this all means. If there had been a 200 year old harpsichord sitting there, I'm sure he would have sat down and played that as well. Don't read too much into things by seeing what you want to see. Besides, what should be important to you is not what chas or Russ thinks, but what YOU think. Until we get married or I start paying your bills, what I think should be no more than just another opinion. BTW, how long have you been waiting around for something to show up to counter my post (or justify your purchase).

Ok, so now your 'wait' is over.

smile

chas

PS: Oh, an Spalding, better go back and read Bill's (semilive) post again. We have no idea what Keith thought of the T4......BUT I CAN GUESS smile smile smile

Edited by cgiles (01/23/11 01:45 PM)

#313644 - 01/23/11 01:58 PM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Scottyee]
cgiles Offline

Oh, I forgot. Although I love Keith Jarrett (I have six of his albums), we all know that he's as nutty as a fruitcake........so he MAY like the Tyros 4. Listen to ANY interview he's ever done and tell me if you can make heads or tails of what he's talking about (or even why he is not in an institution).

chas

#313646 - 01/23/11 02:43 PM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: cgiles]
Scottyee Offline

Listen to ANY interview he's ever done and tell me if you can make heads or tails of what he's talking about (or even why he is not in an institution). chas

This sounds "no different" shocked than many synthzoner postings. He should fit right in. grin

#313648 - 01/23/11 02:51 PM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: cgiles]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I will say the Yamaha Tyros4 is the first Yamaha keyboard over the last twenty years..that I actually like.. smile

There are still too many negatives ..for me seeing myself wanting one though..The key size, range (61 keys) and feel..combined with an overpriced tag....will cause me to pass on it...I am also not as comfortable with Yamaha operating systems...

But with a run of repackaged keyboards over the years..I was glad to see Yamaha improve on some of the pass things I hated on the PSR and Tyros lines..

Come on Yamaha...Streamline the Tyros (next model) with a 76 keybed from Fatar..and a $3,500 list price..and maybe you will win another customer... smile

Edited by Fran Carango (01/23/11 02:53 PM)

#313655 - 01/23/11 03:16 PM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Fran Carango]
lahawk Offline

Originally Posted By: Fran Carango
..I was glad to see Yamaha improve on some of the pass things I hated on the PSR and Tyros lines..

Through the years, I remember some of your dislikes of past PSR's and Tyros...
Keybed feel, 61 keys, OS, etc. Has this changed with the T-4?

Can you please re-cap all your 'hates' of past PSR's and the T-1/2/3?

What improvements does the T-4 have that make it less hateful?

BTW...I agree that the price of a T-4 is WAY too high... for me anyway

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#313657 - 01/23/11 03:26 PM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: lahawk]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By: lahawk
Originally Posted By: Fran Carango
..I was glad to see Yamaha improve on some of the pass things I hated on the PSR and Tyros lines..

Through the years, I remember some of your dislikes of past PSR's and Tyros...
Keybed feel, 61 keys, OS, etc. Has this changed with the T-4?

Can you please re-cap all your 'hates' of past PSR's and the T-1/2/3?

What improvements does the T-4 have that make it less hateful?

BTW...I agree that the price of a T-4 is WAY too high... for me anyway

Larry, I think the improvement of the GM playback bank (It seems to be different than the old XG sound bank)..The improvement of at least three drum sets..The improvement of the vocal harmonizer...and what appears to me....the overall sound has a better presence..Not totally there as a "live" sound but a strong improvement towards that direction...

#313662 - 01/23/11 05:19 PM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Fran Carango]
lahawk Offline

Thanks Fran, the overall sound of the T-4 seems to be the biggie.

Speaking of biggie...Snowstorm in our area...AGAIN?!?

Attachments
Snow.jpg

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#313669 - 01/23/11 08:24 PM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: cgiles]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Quote:
Same as Donny's (and that's rare for me smile ). He just happens to be right, well REALISTIC, about what this all means. If there had been a 200 year old harpsichord sitting there, I'm sure he would have sat down and played that as well. Don't read too much into things by seeing what you want to see. Besides, what should be important to you is not what chas or Russ thinks, but what YOU think. Until we get married or I start paying your bills, what I think should be no more than just another opinion. BTW, how long have you been waiting around for something to show up to counter my post (or justify your purchase).

Ok, so now your 'wait' is over.

Well Donny didn't even know who Keith Jarett was so how can your opinion be the same ... unless you don't know him either.

And I would decline marrying you. You seem far too bitchy to me wink

And like old clips of Miles or Django irregardless of how casual they were people will be watching them 100 years from now after we have all long gone. I just don't even understand why you people are even getting tied up in knots about this. It was just presented as it was, a legend sitting down at a modern keyboard. That is simply a cool thing to see. Don't turn it into something negative, it just makes you seem like you are being extremely childish. And there is now a 13+ age requirement on this forum, so if you seem to be acting younger than that ... well ... lol

#313706 - 01/24/11 07:41 AM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Scottyee]
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
Thanks a million for this thread, Scott.

I admit to not having any knowledge of Keith Jarrett beforehand , I now would like to hear more of him and I will pursue the albums noted on his wikipedia slot.

I also picked up from the biography that he had a similar background and therefore musical talent as did Peter Baartmans who is my all-time favourite for his talent.(and I have actually met him and talked with him during his tour of UK with the Tyros 4)
If anyone is a fan of Keith Jarrett (which I now am) they should perhaps also listen to the classic and jazz of Peter Baartmans.

Incidentally, I was thrilled to note that Keith Jarrett was born on May 8th which is my own birthdate!

thanks again Scott

#313710 - 01/24/11 08:03 AM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Nigel]
cgiles Offline

Well Donny didn't even know who Keith Jarett was so how can your opinion be the same ... unless you don't know him either.

The part of Donny's post that I agreed with was the observation that just because Keith Jarrett (or Jon Lord or anybody else, for that matter) causally stopped by an exhibitors booth (probably on the way to the Nord booth smile smile ) and checked out an instrument, doesn't automatically mean that the status or perception of that instrument is suddenly and miraculously uplifted and changed forever (several other members seemed to agree). Wasn't Stevie Wonder caught playing a Casio? I think it's safe to say that MOST keyboard artists are curious about anything with keys. Who among us doesn't run our fingers over the keys of every low-end Casio we pass in Costco or BJ's or Sam's Club.

Truth is, Scott solicited a response from me (and Russ) and I merely pointed out that he should stay true to his own feelings and convictions and not be overly concerned about mine. After all, what's valid for one person doesn't have to be valid for everybody. I'm sorry if that makes me come off as childish or immature. What's the point of having a discussion forum if everyone has to be in agreement. If you go back and read my posts carefully, you will see that the only thing I have said that seems to upset some, is that IN MY OPINION, I don't think the "mainstream" music community (excluding arranger players) considers auto-accompaniment machines as legitimate musical instruments. DonM opined that he didn't think most musicians even knew what an arranger keyboard was. I agree, but that only supports my view. It doesn't mean that I don't like arrangers; I have three (plus a copy of Band-in-a box). I guess I equate them (in terms of importance) to a computer/word processor while writing the 'great American novel'. It's handy, even fun to use, but adds little to the content.

It was merely a private opinion, based on my own life experiences in the music community.

chas

Edited by cgiles (01/24/11 08:05 AM)

#313714 - 01/24/11 09:01 AM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Scottyee]
Scottyee Offline

Besides, what should be important to you is not what chas or Russ thinks, but what YOU think. Until we get married or I start paying your bills, what I think should be no more than just another opinion. BTW, how long have you been waiting around for something to show up to counter my post (or justify your purchase).

Sorry Chas, but the tone, and tenure of your remarks clearly show you've got some personal issues going on that have nothing to do with me, and for you to suggest I considered this an historic event merely to justify my own Tyros 4 puchase is total nonsense. Any traditional pro keyboard player, especially of the stature of Mr. Jarrett, showing even passing interest, of an arranger, I believe warrants notice and interest to the arranger kb player commuinity, of which I believe this forum is specifically dedicated . The reason I specifically asked you (and Russ) for comment, was because I had, but no longer, respect what I had once believed to be musical wisdom and intelligent balanced thought. frown

btw, read back in the thread: it was'nt even me that initially suggested this an historic event.

#313722 - 01/24/11 09:34 AM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Scottyee]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
oh come on gents. Its just a disagreement over a matter of opinion. No need to lose respect for each other. Goodness we are so touchy sometimes.

For me it wasnt whether Keith
Jarret ran his fingers over the keys or not. It was the apparent genuine interst that he had in thne instrument but not just him. The Korg workstation demonstrators have also shown more than a passing interest in the sound of the Tyros and there are plenty of musicians who see the arranger as a true musical instrument. Chas is absolutely right in that it doesnt matter what his views are or anyone elses. If you can see the real value of having beautiful solo sounds at your disposal and then at the touch of a button a full band then more power to you.

We are getting hung up on what the instrument can do and completely losing sight of what we can do with the instument !

#313725 - 01/24/11 10:12 AM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Nigel]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA

I just don't even understand why you people are even getting tied up in knots about this. It was just presented as it was, a legend sitting down at a modern keyboard. That is simply a cool thing to see. Don't turn it into something negative, it just makes you seem like you are being extremely childish. And there is now a 13+ age requirement on this forum, so if you seem to be acting younger than that ... well ... lol

Nigel very well said! I'm happy to hear it came from you. cool

#313735 - 01/24/11 11:02 AM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Stephenm52]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By: Stephenm52
[quote=Nigel]
Nigel very well said! I'm happy to hear it came from you. cool

Just don't forget, it's usually those 12 and under that are trying to earn 'brownie points'.

smile

chas

#313739 - 01/24/11 11:22 AM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: cgiles]
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Geez Chas, are the hemorrhoids acting up again?

You could learn a thing or two about being a gentleman and civility from us 12 and under posters.

#313744 - 01/24/11 11:58 AM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: kbrkr]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Originally Posted By: kbrkr
Geez Chas, are the hemorrhoids acting up again?

You could learn a thing or two about being a gentleman and civility from us 12 and under posters.

Whereas from this he could learn how to escalate an argument. Nice!

The thing that struck me was, I didn't see Jarrett PLAY an arranger AT ALL. I saw him play two sounds off of a keyboard. A novelty vocal scat sound and a piano sound (curious how little time he spent on the piano sound...). But he didn't use the arranger at all, and the demonstrators insistence on trying tragically to get it to play along with HIM seemed merely to annoy him (as it would have done me).

It's pretty obvious from this clip that Keith has absolutely no interest in an arranger whatsoever. He might be interested in a sound it makes, but as far as turning on any automatic accompaniment, that seems certain he wasn't the SLIGHTEST bit interested in that!

Sorry, guys, I know they are your 'babies' and all that, but when you get to play with the cream of the world's sidemen, all an arranger does is demonstrate just how unmusical, uncreative and unresponsive it is. Maybe it can give a local slug a run for his money, but the guys that Jarrett plays with make arranger output look like the mechanical, repetitive predictable stuff it really IS.

If this clip was 'historic', it was historical only in demonstrating how uninterested in arrangers he was...

Me, I though it more 'hysterical'..!

(BTW, if Keith had done exactly the same thing on a Korg, or a Roland, or any other brand, I would feel the same way. This isn't a Tyros rant. They ALL suck compared to Keith's usual bandmates!)

#313745 - 01/24/11 12:00 PM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Scottyee]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Hey, Scott. I can't believe there is anyone here who hasn't heard of Keith.

I guess that proves how out of synch I can be sometimes.

Chas is right...Keith is a little "scrambled" in his thought processes when you talk to him, but what a world class player!

I believe it's cool that he was open-minded enough to look at something different.

I believe we may never know what he thought of it.

But. I'd like to know...

I can understand why Scotty was excited about running into Keith looking at the T4. And, I can understand why Chas believes it might be no more significant than what you or I would do at a show...show polite, passing interest in something new.

I would have been pleased to see Keith doing whatever he was doing at NAMM and leave it at that.

Russ

#313746 - 01/24/11 12:05 PM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: kbrkr]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By: kbrkr

Well that's not the worse thing I've ever read on SZ but it is one of the most arrogant. So I guess you see it as your duty to dispense morality lessons from your high perch. Scott posted an opinion; I posted an alternative viewpoint. Some agreed with me and some agreed with Scott. Some waited to see which way the wind was blowing before deciding to pile on.

Disagreeing with someone does not constitute being uncivil. I never said anything disrespectful to Scott or Nigel or anyone else, unless you count defending myself from Stephen's 'piling on' remarks. Again, read what I said in my original post and point out the 'uncivil' parts. And in the future, don't lecture me on civility. The only moral authority you have is what you have conveyed upon yourself. Stating my opinion in a non-offensive manner on an impersonal and subjective topic does not make me uncivil or less of a gentleman. It's very easy to label people that you don't like to begin with (which is the case here, I suspect). Live and let live, I say. You keep your opinions about me to yourself and I'll do the same for you.

Peace,

chas

#313754 - 01/24/11 12:36 PM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Scottyee]
ianmcnll Offline

I spent a whole afternoon with Oscar Peterson on the Yamaha PSR-9000 Pro, which he purchased along with a CVP-109 at the time.

Oscar was simply fascinated with the arranger aspect of the 9000 Pro, and, it was nice to see a man of his talent be so open minded, and open to new things.

The musician, Sting, was and is also big on arrangers, as is Darryl Hall of Hall & Oates fame.

Nashville Row has a room full of arrangers (mainly PSR-S-Series)used to create demos quickly, and painlessly.

The arranger keyboard is just another tool, and, it is used, mostly by those open-minded enough to see the benefits, and who aren't worried about their peers looking down on them for it.

There are several like that on this forum, and there are also those who think arrangers aren't legit and they are just too good talent wise, to be seen or heard playing one.

What a shame...and what a pity they really don't see the intrinsic value of an arranger, like being able to re-arrange tunes on the fly, practise and perform on your own schedule, have total control of the mix, and also control over what instruments get featured, etc.

Personally, I really like using an arranger....I'm a pro piano/organ/synth player and I am not concerned about who thinks what I do is legit or not.

That is not my problem...it is their problem.

As has been said many times here on this forum,

"Enjoy what you play."

Ian

PS...Years ago there were those who balked against using an electric guitar, an electric piano/organ, or electronic drums, string machines, Mellotrons, Fairlights...thankfully, most of us here managed to embrace such great advances, rather than resist them.

#313756 - 01/24/11 12:43 PM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: ianmcnll]
Diki Offline

Completely agree, Ian. But IN THIS CASE, I'm sorry, but the 'historical' implications completely slipped by me.

If Keith had have been the SLIGHTEST bit interested in the arranger itself, perhaps he would have quit noodling EWF on those scat sounds, and tried some of the jazz and fusion backing styles?

Main thing about arrangers being used by writers and composers of any standing is, I can GUARANTEE that, by the time the song gets recorded for release, REAL musicians are playing all the parts. That's the difference between THEM and US, I guess!

#313772 - 01/24/11 01:56 PM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Diki]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
Completely agree, Ian. But IN THIS CASE, I'm sorry, but the 'historical' implications completely slipped by me.

If Keith had have been the SLIGHTEST bit interested in the arranger itself, perhaps he would have quit noodling EWF on those scat sounds, and tried some of the jazz and fusion backing styles?

Main thing about arrangers being used by writers and composers of any standing is, I can GUARANTEE that, by the time the song gets recorded for release, REAL musicians are playing all the parts. That's the difference between THEM and US, I guess!

Well, I didn't comment on the "historical" implications because Jarrett's time on the Tyros4 was longer than what we saw on the video...so, he may have noodled on the styles too...anyway, the jury is still out on it...sure would shock a few here if Keith actually bought one.

I have several friends who are pros and exceptional players that love using the arranger, mainly for the reasons I stated above, but also because arrangers sound far better than they used to, and a skilful player can really get a nice performance out of one.

Perhaps Oscar is/was an exception...he was a real "gadget nut"...he also used a Synclavier for recording and composition...kind of progressive for a jazzer like him.

His reaction to the 9000 Pro was so utterly positive...we were like two little kids playing with a model train set...and he played some amazing stuff on it.

A very humble and very personable gentleman....I was very lucky to get to meet him.

Ian

#313774 - 01/24/11 02:11 PM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Scottyee]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Yes Ian, I too was told that Jarret spent some time AFTER the vid stopped, discussing it an playing some more...So folks here should not be so quick to assume it was mere "noodling".

Iceberg theory hey!!!

#313784 - 01/24/11 02:49 PM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Scottyee]
arranger_yes_pc_no Offline

very cool video.....and Baartmans is no joke either...

#313803 - 01/24/11 06:02 PM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: arranger_yes_pc_no]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: arranger_yes_pc_no
very cool video.....and Baartmans is no joke either...

Baartmans should give lessons to the KORG demonstrators..;)

#313814 - 01/24/11 08:22 PM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Scottyee]
Diki Offline

I'm sure that if Jarrett spent any time on the arranger section, the videographer would have posted that front and center...

#313822 - 01/24/11 08:41 PM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Scottyee]
ianmcnll Offline

Well, I can tell you I'm going to spend lots of time on the arranger section when my Tyros4 arrives the last of this week, or early next week.

Man, I've received all kinds of email from new owners who are very, very pleased with the instrument.

I have a feeling this may be my next personal keyboard.

If Keith Jarrett can't appreciate the arranger section...to heck with him.

Ian the Mature

#313825 - 01/24/11 08:43 PM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Diki]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
I'm sure that if Jarrett spent any time on the arranger section, the videographer would have posted that front and center...

Maybe not...Maybe the person taking the video had to move on to something else. Maybe he had to go an pee...who knows!!!

You are taking an awfully big uninformed leap there Diki...

Dennis

#313827 - 01/24/11 08:49 PM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Scottyee]
Diki Offline

I look forward to hearing you play it, Ian...

Mind you, if you played with Keith's sidemen on a regular basis, perhaps you'd have a different opinion on how good it is!

Maybe I should start another thread on this question, but it seems apropos here, too... I read altogether too many posts about how some player's arrangers are BETTER than any sidemen they've worked with. But how many of us have played in bands where EVERYBODY was better than any arranger they ever heard?

If we haven't, we may not be in a position to judge the arranger's true musicality... (not addressed at YOU, Ian, just a general thought).

#313829 - 01/24/11 08:57 PM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Diki]
ianmcnll Offline

Mind you, if you played with Keith's sidemen on a regular basis, perhaps you'd have a different opinion on how good it is!

I wouldn't want to play with Keith's sideman...they charge too much!

Seriously, Diki, I do get lots of time playing with some very good musicians, on a regular basis.

The arranger is just another tool...and, to me, just as much fun as playing within a group...in fact, I'm going to use it in a group situation...those SA/SA2 sounds should be lots of fun and very expressive.

It's like a mechanic refusing to use a screwdriver because it is electric...

Ian

PS...No, arrangers aren't the perfect replication of playing with sidemen, but, I can certainly live with it.

#313839 - 01/24/11 10:55 PM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: ianmcnll]
Nigel Offline
Admin

I simply think that Keith is a historic artist so anything he does has significance regardless of whatever it is. Like I said any video taken of him doing anything will be watched again in the future. I sort of think we have all said what we wanted to say so I will probably close this thread very soon but will give people a last chance before I do.

#313841 - 01/24/11 11:56 PM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: miden]
Scottyee Offline

Originally Posted By: miden

Maybe not...Maybe the person taking the video had to move on to something else. Maybe he had to go an pee...who knows!!!
You are taking an awfully big uninformed leap there Diki...
Dennis
Ok, here's what actually happened according to Tapas, the videographer. After Tapas stopped shooting the video, Mr. Jarrett continued to jam on Tyros 4 while Peter answered questions. The time was then quickly approaching the 4:30pm time when Martin Harris was to begin his next officially scheduled live internet streaming Tyros 4 demo, so Yamaha personnel chose to escort Mr. Jarrett over to the piano area to show him Yamaha's latest acoustic grands pianos. It clearly wasn't Jarrett losing interest in the Tyros 4, but simply the schedule constraint that ended his enjoyment shown smile playing it.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online