SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#313657 - 01/23/11 03:26 PM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: lahawk]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By: lahawk
Originally Posted By: Fran Carango
..I was glad to see Yamaha improve on some of the pass things I hated on the PSR and Tyros lines..

Through the years, I remember some of your dislikes of past PSR's and Tyros...
Keybed feel, 61 keys, OS, etc. Has this changed with the T-4?

Can you please re-cap all your 'hates' of past PSR's and the T-1/2/3?

What improvements does the T-4 have that make it less hateful?

BTW...I agree that the price of a T-4 is WAY too high... for me anyway

Larry, I think the improvement of the GM playback bank (It seems to be different than the old XG sound bank)..The improvement of at least three drum sets..The improvement of the vocal harmonizer...and what appears to me....the overall sound has a better presence..Not totally there as a "live" sound but a strong improvement towards that direction...

#313662 - 01/23/11 05:19 PM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Fran Carango]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Thanks Fran, the overall sound of the T-4 seems to be the biggie.

Speaking of biggie...Snowstorm in our area...AGAIN?!?

Attachments
Snow.jpg

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#313669 - 01/23/11 08:24 PM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: cgiles]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Same as Donny's (and that's rare for me smile ). He just happens to be right, well REALISTIC, about what this all means. If there had been a 200 year old harpsichord sitting there, I'm sure he would have sat down and played that as well. Don't read too much into things by seeing what you want to see. Besides, what should be important to you is not what chas or Russ thinks, but what YOU think. Until we get married or I start paying your bills, what I think should be no more than just another opinion. BTW, how long have you been waiting around for something to show up to counter my post (or justify your purchase).

Ok, so now your 'wait' is over.

Well Donny didn't even know who Keith Jarett was so how can your opinion be the same ... unless you don't know him either.

And I would decline marrying you. You seem far too bitchy to me wink

And like old clips of Miles or Django irregardless of how casual they were people will be watching them 100 years from now after we have all long gone. I just don't even understand why you people are even getting tied up in knots about this. It was just presented as it was, a legend sitting down at a modern keyboard. That is simply a cool thing to see. Don't turn it into something negative, it just makes you seem like you are being extremely childish. And there is now a 13+ age requirement on this forum, so if you seem to be acting younger than that ... well ... lol

#313706 - 01/24/11 07:41 AM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Scottyee]
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
Thanks a million for this thread, Scott.

I admit to not having any knowledge of Keith Jarrett beforehand , I now would like to hear more of him and I will pursue the albums noted on his wikipedia slot.

I also picked up from the biography that he had a similar background and therefore musical talent as did Peter Baartmans who is my all-time favourite for his talent.(and I have actually met him and talked with him during his tour of UK with the Tyros 4)
If anyone is a fan of Keith Jarrett (which I now am) they should perhaps also listen to the classic and jazz of Peter Baartmans.

Incidentally, I was thrilled to note that Keith Jarrett was born on May 8th which is my own birthdate!

thanks again Scott

#313710 - 01/24/11 08:03 AM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Nigel]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: Nigel
Well Donny didn't even know who Keith Jarett was so how can your opinion be the same ... unless you don't know him either.

The part of Donny's post that I agreed with was the observation that just because Keith Jarrett (or Jon Lord or anybody else, for that matter) causally stopped by an exhibitors booth (probably on the way to the Nord booth smile smile ) and checked out an instrument, doesn't automatically mean that the status or perception of that instrument is suddenly and miraculously uplifted and changed forever (several other members seemed to agree). Wasn't Stevie Wonder caught playing a Casio? I think it's safe to say that MOST keyboard artists are curious about anything with keys. Who among us doesn't run our fingers over the keys of every low-end Casio we pass in Costco or BJ's or Sam's Club.

Truth is, Scott solicited a response from me (and Russ) and I merely pointed out that he should stay true to his own feelings and convictions and not be overly concerned about mine. After all, what's valid for one person doesn't have to be valid for everybody. I'm sorry if that makes me come off as childish or immature. What's the point of having a discussion forum if everyone has to be in agreement. If you go back and read my posts carefully, you will see that the only thing I have said that seems to upset some, is that IN MY OPINION, I don't think the "mainstream" music community (excluding arranger players) considers auto-accompaniment machines as legitimate musical instruments. DonM opined that he didn't think most musicians even knew what an arranger keyboard was. I agree, but that only supports my view. It doesn't mean that I don't like arrangers; I have three (plus a copy of Band-in-a box). I guess I equate them (in terms of importance) to a computer/word processor while writing the 'great American novel'. It's handy, even fun to use, but adds little to the content.

It was merely a private opinion, based on my own life experiences in the music community.

chas

Edited by cgiles (01/24/11 08:05 AM)

#313714 - 01/24/11 09:01 AM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Scottyee]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Originally Posted By: cgiles
Besides, what should be important to you is not what chas or Russ thinks, but what YOU think. Until we get married or I start paying your bills, what I think should be no more than just another opinion. BTW, how long have you been waiting around for something to show up to counter my post (or justify your purchase).

Sorry Chas, but the tone, and tenure of your remarks clearly show you've got some personal issues going on that have nothing to do with me, and for you to suggest I considered this an historic event merely to justify my own Tyros 4 puchase is total nonsense. Any traditional pro keyboard player, especially of the stature of Mr. Jarrett, showing even passing interest, of an arranger, I believe warrants notice and interest to the arranger kb player commuinity, of which I believe this forum is specifically dedicated . The reason I specifically asked you (and Russ) for comment, was because I had, but no longer, respect what I had once believed to be musical wisdom and intelligent balanced thought. frown

btw, read back in the thread: it was'nt even me that initially suggested this an historic event.

#313722 - 01/24/11 09:34 AM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Scottyee]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
oh come on gents. Its just a disagreement over a matter of opinion. No need to lose respect for each other. Goodness we are so touchy sometimes.

For me it wasnt whether Keith
Jarret ran his fingers over the keys or not. It was the apparent genuine interst that he had in thne instrument but not just him. The Korg workstation demonstrators have also shown more than a passing interest in the sound of the Tyros and there are plenty of musicians who see the arranger as a true musical instrument. Chas is absolutely right in that it doesnt matter what his views are or anyone elses. If you can see the real value of having beautiful solo sounds at your disposal and then at the touch of a button a full band then more power to you.

We are getting hung up on what the instrument can do and completely losing sight of what we can do with the instument !

#313725 - 01/24/11 10:12 AM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Nigel]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Nigel

I just don't even understand why you people are even getting tied up in knots about this. It was just presented as it was, a legend sitting down at a modern keyboard. That is simply a cool thing to see. Don't turn it into something negative, it just makes you seem like you are being extremely childish. And there is now a 13+ age requirement on this forum, so if you seem to be acting younger than that ... well ... lol

Nigel very well said! I'm happy to hear it came from you. cool

#313735 - 01/24/11 11:02 AM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Stephenm52]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: Stephenm52
[quote=Nigel]
Nigel very well said! I'm happy to hear it came from you. cool

Just don't forget, it's usually those 12 and under that are trying to earn 'brownie points'.

smile

chas

#313739 - 01/24/11 11:22 AM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: cgiles]
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Geez Chas, are the hemorrhoids acting up again?

You could learn a thing or two about being a gentleman and civility from us 12 and under posters.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online