SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#313621 - 01/23/11 11:13 AM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Scottyee]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Scottyee
Dave, I think "all of us here" smile being arranger keyboardists, should be cheering that as a historic 'arrange keyboardr' occasion.

Donny, you need to realize it was Keith Jarrett himself that took more than a casual interest to stop to checkout the Tyros 4 keyboard, and then drawn to sit down and jam on it too. It's obvious from the clip that he took more than a passing interest in it, as he continued to ask questions and play even more after the videoclip ended. Keith Jarrett may mean nothing to you, but millions of keyboard musicians around the world look up and respect him as both a jazz and classical keyboardist legend. smile

That said, I would have also been impressed if it were Jon Lord showing interest in Tyros 4 too, and I bet if he were there, he would too. wink

Ok Scott I can see your excitement.....enjoy the moment.

#313622 - 01/23/11 11:17 AM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: ianmcnll]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Originally Posted By: Dnj
Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
OH, Donny, Donny ..... let Scott have his moment, will ya?
smile

Just being honest Dave wink....now if Jon Lord stopped by to play a T4 I'd might get excited smile

Or if Tony Monaco sat down and played the S910, using the incredibly good SA Jazz Rotary patch.

I do understand Scott's excitement, and yes, it does, to me, legitimize arranger use a little more...Lord (not Jon) knows, we've been often regarded as "not really playing" by the so-called "real deals" out there.

Thing is, I'm an experienced piano/organ/synth player with many years in bands and as a soloist...it takes a lot of work, time and just plain old creativity to make an arranger sound nice and "live" instead of boom-ticky-ticky-boom-ticky-ticky...just as much as it does doing a creative performance on piano, organ or synthesizer.

The arranger is just another "tool" in the modern (some would say, "hip") keyboardist's toolbox...that's all it is.

Ian

I feel legitimacy can only be obtained with a merging of Synth WS/Arranger KB...until then separation of thought will remain.
That is the manufacturers trump card and cash cow lets face it after all thats their bottom line.

#313624 - 01/23/11 11:39 AM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Scottyee]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I applaud capturing this on video, but I agree, it is not that meaningful. After he walked away, he might've said to his group, "Gee, what a cheesy piece of crap that is... 61-key toy with light action and all that stupid doo-wop stuff." (That's not my opinion of T4, I'm just saying what is said on here sometimes.) Then again, he might love the T4. THAT would be something. Money talks, they should approach him.

PS -- Thanks for posting, Scott (and Tapas), it is pretty cool!

#313626 - 01/23/11 12:08 PM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: SemiLiveMusic
I applaud capturing this on video, but I agree, it is not that meaningful. After he walked away, he might've said to his group, "Gee, what a cheesy piece of crap that is...

I really don't think so or he certainly wouldn't have sat down and played ... and kept playing. He obviously became curious enough to play around while the demonstator was playing. Then decided to sit down and investigate some more. Anything musical that someone of the stature of Jarret does is meaningful and deserves attention no matter how casual.

#313632 - 01/23/11 12:35 PM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Scottyee]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
"Still waiting" to find out what Chas (cgiles) and Capt. Russ' take is on all this! laugh

#313642 - 01/23/11 01:43 PM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Scottyee]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: Scottyee
"Still waiting" to find out what Chas (cgiles) and Capt. Russ' take is on all this! laugh

Same as Donny's (and that's rare for me smile ). He just happens to be right, well REALISTIC, about what this all means. If there had been a 200 year old harpsichord sitting there, I'm sure he would have sat down and played that as well. Don't read too much into things by seeing what you want to see. Besides, what should be important to you is not what chas or Russ thinks, but what YOU think. Until we get married or I start paying your bills, what I think should be no more than just another opinion. BTW, how long have you been waiting around for something to show up to counter my post (or justify your purchase).

Ok, so now your 'wait' is over.

smile

chas

PS: Oh, an Spalding, better go back and read Bill's (semilive) post again. We have no idea what Keith thought of the T4......BUT I CAN GUESS smile smile smile

Edited by cgiles (01/23/11 01:45 PM)

#313644 - 01/23/11 01:58 PM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Scottyee]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Oh, I forgot. Although I love Keith Jarrett (I have six of his albums), we all know that he's as nutty as a fruitcake........so he MAY like the Tyros 4. Listen to ANY interview he's ever done and tell me if you can make heads or tails of what he's talking about (or even why he is not in an institution).

chas

#313646 - 01/23/11 02:43 PM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: cgiles]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Originally Posted By: cgiles
Listen to ANY interview he's ever done and tell me if you can make heads or tails of what he's talking about (or even why he is not in an institution). chas

This sounds "no different" shocked than many synthzoner postings. He should fit right in. grin

#313648 - 01/23/11 02:51 PM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: cgiles]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I will say the Yamaha Tyros4 is the first Yamaha keyboard over the last twenty years..that I actually like.. smile

There are still too many negatives ..for me seeing myself wanting one though..The key size, range (61 keys) and feel..combined with an overpriced tag....will cause me to pass on it...I am also not as comfortable with Yamaha operating systems...

But with a run of repackaged keyboards over the years..I was glad to see Yamaha improve on some of the pass things I hated on the PSR and Tyros lines..

Come on Yamaha...Streamline the Tyros (next model) with a 76 keybed from Fatar..and a $3,500 list price..and maybe you will win another customer... smile

Edited by Fran Carango (01/23/11 02:53 PM)

#313655 - 01/23/11 03:16 PM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Fran Carango]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Originally Posted By: Fran Carango
..I was glad to see Yamaha improve on some of the pass things I hated on the PSR and Tyros lines..

Through the years, I remember some of your dislikes of past PSR's and Tyros...
Keybed feel, 61 keys, OS, etc. Has this changed with the T-4?

Can you please re-cap all your 'hates' of past PSR's and the T-1/2/3?

What improvements does the T-4 have that make it less hateful?

BTW...I agree that the price of a T-4 is WAY too high... for me anyway

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online