SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#313560 - 01/22/11 10:46 PM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Nigel]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Nigel
I'm very impressed with what I am hearing from the Tyros 4. Maybe it could replace my Motif 6 in my live band as a solo keyboard and still give me a great arranger to use at home.

Now thats a great Idea Nigel....these arrangers are so versatile....you can really do anything with them..on stage or at home in the studio etc ......the Tyros4 sounds fantastic.

#313564 - 01/22/11 11:20 PM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Dnj]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: Dnj
sorry Nigel....but I'm not a jazzer at all ...quite honestly I have never heard of him until I read this post... I guess we're all into different kinds of music....

Donny no problem it is just that Keith Jarret is a keyboard jazz legend who ranks with Dave Brubeck and Chick Corea. I'm surprised you aren't aware of him. Having him play the Tyros is actually a historic event.

#313573 - 01/23/11 12:35 AM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Nigel]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
And that right there Nigel, is the very simple transition in the way that people think about arrangers that needs to happen for arrangers to be the go to instrument for professionals and hobbyists alike.

This is the simple point i have been making for years, whether you use auto accompaniment in its fullest or striped down to bass and drum or use the keyboard as a solo instrument or as part of a live band , an aranger is all things to all people. Forhget that it is called an arranger keyboard. Its simply a keyboard with options !

If Keith Jarret or some other big name spent a full day with a tyros or korg they could make incredible music and have just as much fun doing it as they do o their current gear.

Edited by spalding1968 (01/23/11 12:51 AM)

#313585 - 01/23/11 05:17 AM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Scottyee]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Scott great video. Who would have expected Keith Jarrett at a Tyros4?

#313601 - 01/23/11 09:45 AM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Nigel]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Keith Jarrett is a keyboard jazz legend who ranks with Dave Brubeck and Chick Corea . . . Having him play the Tyros is actually a historic event.

Nigel, This most "definitely" felt like an "arranger keyboard historic event" for me as well smile , especially in light of this recent synthzone thread, in which Chas (cgiles) stated:

Originally Posted By: cgiles
Although no one here will admit it, NO ONE but ARRANGER PLAYERS consider these keyboards as 'legitimate' instruments. That doesn't mean that some of the people that use them or make a living with them, aren't legitimate musicians or even good or great musicians; it just means that the established musical mainstream does not consider them as 'legitimate' instruments . Why then, do they command such little respect and even some derision, within the community of professional working (excluding OMB's) musicians.

At last smile , I can finally feel the music establishment's long time anti-arranger tide changing. - Scott cool

#313605 - 01/23/11 10:06 AM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Scottyee]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Scottyee
Keith Jarrett is a keyboard jazz legend who ranks with Dave Brubeck and Chick Corea . . . Having him play the Tyros is actually a historic event.

Nigel, This most "definitely" felt like an "arranger keyboard historic event" for me as well smile , especially in light of this recent synthzone thread, in which Chas (cgiles) stated:

Originally Posted By: cgiles
Although no one here will admit it, NO ONE but ARRANGER PLAYERS consider these keyboards as 'legitimate' instruments. That doesn't mean that some of the people that use them or make a living with them, aren't legitimate musicians or even good or great musicians; it just means that the established musical mainstream does not consider them as 'legitimate' instruments . Why then, do they command such little respect and even some derision, within the community of professional working (excluding OMB's) musicians.

At last smile , I can finally feel the music establishment's long time anti-arranger tide changing. - Scott cool

Scott I dont get it........all the guy did was pass by the Yammy stall and was offered to play a few riffs on T4 with baartmans direction....that doesn't mean super pros are now into arrangers does it?...

#313607 - 01/23/11 10:09 AM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Scottyee]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
OH, Donny, Donny ..... let Scott have his moment, will ya?
smile

#313609 - 01/23/11 10:15 AM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
smile

Just being honest Dave wink....now if Jon Lord stopped by to play a T4 I'd might get excited smile

#313618 - 01/23/11 10:41 AM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Dnj
Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
smile

Just being honest Dave wink....now if Jon Lord stopped by to play a T4 I'd might get excited smile

Or if Tony Monaco sat down and played the S910, using the incredibly good SA Jazz Rotary patch.

I do understand Scott's excitement, and yes, it does, to me, legitimize arranger use a little more...Lord (not Jon) knows, we've been often regarded as "not really playing" by the so-called "real deals" out there.

Thing is, I'm an experienced piano/organ/synth player with many years in bands and as a soloist...it takes a lot of work, time and just plain old creativity to make an arranger sound nice and "live" instead of boom-ticky-ticky-boom-ticky-ticky...just as much as it does doing a creative performance on piano, organ or synthesizer.

The arranger is just another "tool" in the modern (some would say, "hip") keyboardist's toolbox...that's all it is.

Ian

#313619 - 01/23/11 10:41 AM Re: Keith Jarrett Plays Yamaha Tyros 4 @ Namm 2011 [Re: Scottyee]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Dave, I think "all of us here" smile being arranger keyboardists, should be cheering that as a historic 'arrange keyboardr' occasion.

Donny, you need to realize it was Keith Jarrett himself that took more than a casual interest to stop to checkout the Tyros 4 keyboard, and then drawn to sit down and jam on it too. It's obvious from the clip that he took more than a passing interest in it, as he continued to ask questions and play even more after the videoclip ended. Keith Jarrett may mean nothing to you, but millions of keyboard musicians around the world look up and respect him as both a jazz and classical keyboardist legend. smile

That said, I would have also been impressed if it were Jon Lord showing interest in Tyros 4 too, and I bet if he were there, he would too. wink

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online