SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#313105 - 01/19/11 03:21 PM Re: Chord 'Sequencer' is the wrong name. [Re: Diki]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Yep, my first was also the Atari STe but I used Pro16 from Steinberg.

For me the best now is Sonar X1 running on my Windows 7 PC...

BUT...as soon as all the audio (in particular firewire) issues are sorted in Linux, I will go fully over to Linux.

Dennis

#313241 - 01/20/11 01:01 PM Re: Chord 'Sequencer' is the wrong name. [Re: miden]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I can beat that slightly, having started on a Commodore SX (one of the first affordable portable computers) running Dr. T's..! But after ditching the Commodore, and struggling with built-ins for a year or two (and yes, AYPN, you can do some decent work all in the box if you choose), I got an Atari Mega4, and Cubase. Been with Cubase ever since. It might miss a couple of things from Logic (and Logic misses a couple of things from it!) but familiarity with the tool trumps outright capability when you are trying to sequence fast...

I see where you are coming from now, AYPN. Yes, while you are in the infancy of doing this stuff, it is often easier to stick to a more limited tool, and just concentrate on the music and not the technology. But as you grow, eventually you bring yourself up against those walls that the hardware sequencer puts up. I too have a Kurzweil, and often find myself routing arranger parts into that for sample replacement (or going to some VSTi's). It's at this point I REALLY find the power of the software DAW/sequencer to be of use, because it is rare to find a part that works OOTB on a substitute sample.

For me, a combination of arranger sequencer then computer for polishing gets the job done quickly. Just find a good sequencer and stick to it. Eventually, it gets like playing an instrument. You don't have to think, the tools and techniques just come naturally. Practice, practice, practice!

#313249 - 01/20/11 01:33 PM Re: Chord 'Sequencer' is the wrong name. [Re: Diki]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Actually Diki, wasn't it called Steinberg Cubit back then? Cubase actually is the development of Steinbergs Pro12-Pro16 and Pro32...Then it went to Cubit, then to Cubasis, and then Cubase....(although Cubasis may have been the "lite" version of Cubase) all so long ago...

It was much easier back then, the limitations of the gear actually made it simpler in my view. Now, there is so many choices in how to do one thing. What VST effect or what plugin...

Back then there was usually only ONE choice to get something done. Made it much simpler!!

I didn't realise the Cubase incarnation was actually around at the time Atari released the Mega4??

Dennis

#313273 - 01/20/11 04:17 PM Re: Chord 'Sequencer' is the wrong name. [Re: miden]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Actually, Cubase was around during the ST days, too. Pretty early version, but all the same basics we have now.

To be honest, the new Cubase isn't quite the sequencer that the older Cubase VST5 was. In many ways, MIDI has taken a back seat to the audio section, and bugs lingered for a LOT longer than they did in the older days. I know I should be ashamed, but I still do the majority of my sequencing on an older Mac, that can run OS9, and run VST5, as I think it was the best incarnation of the MIDI section. Then over to Nuendo for the audio stuff.

VST5 was bombproof, and with a MIDEX MIDI interface, nearly as tight as the old Atari's. Too much slop in the new MIDI interfaces, I fear. Steinberg dropped the pre-buffering of MIDI a while back. You start running three different outs at the same time, well, I can notice it if others can't! Mind you, nothing beats that old expander dongle from Steinberg for the Atari. Tight doesn't even START to describe how good that was!

#313355 - 01/21/11 09:24 AM Re: Chord 'Sequencer' is the wrong name. [Re: Diki]
arranger_yes_pc_no Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki

For me, a combination of arranger sequencer then computer for polishing gets the job done quickly. Just find a good sequencer and stick to it. Eventually, it gets like playing an instrument. You don't have to think, the tools and techniques just come naturally. Practice, practice, practice!

actually you don't see where I come from, at all smile

What I meant by you 'having more experience' was that you started earlier than I had,on this computer technology stuff....

I am a pro, I have played rock guitar for 16 years, and studied classical harmony and piano for about 8 years now. I now am studying composition.

I have used computers for about 9 years. It's just that I don't like them much....that's all really. But I know my way around them. One thing for certain, is that being good on computers has nothing to do with growing or being good as a musician....I think you'll agree with me on that one smile

Actually my growth has nothing to do with computers. I was extremely dissatisfied with my music as a guitarist, although I was (and am) a good guitarist. So I started learning things on keyboard.

Here's my ideal setup: an arranger workstation , a digital audio multitracker, a good guitar and a good tube amp.

I use a computer only because nowadays if you want to be a pro, you have to be good with computers too. But they are by far my last choice as for ideal setup. The only reason why I use them, as I said, is because a computer is the only way that allows me to use sample libraries like these from Eastwest.

I just don't want to use computers to write music with....all my demos will be done on the arranger.

To me, there's nothing better than switching my Tyros on and get right down to business. No waiting for crap to boot up or down, or selecting things into a maze of folders and options.

How many wheels are needed to get to destination? Seems a good question to me. I only need two, or four...but hey, we are all different.

Why I am intrigued by the Atari, is precisely because compared to a PC it's a lot more stripped down, but as for stability,etc, that's entirely my own speculation....based on no proof.

Yamaha should make a modern version of their QY-700 sequencer...reminds me of a self-contained Atari, a complete music studio for composition.

#313468 - 01/22/11 04:09 AM Re: Chord 'Sequencer' is the wrong name. [Re: Diki]
arranger_yes_pc_no Offline

actually, now that I mention the QY-700, I am going to hook it up to the Tyros and see how it would fill in all the editing gaps that the Tyros doesn't have.

It's been an interesting conversation, though, Diki. I liked what you say about customizing the basslines etc...

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online