SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#313247 - 01/20/11 01:19 PM Re: When Arrangers Go Away [Re: hammer]
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Workstations are pretty easy to figure out hammer. My Roland Fantom G7 has a huge lcd screen which provides a lot of data information on any given screen menu. Workstations biggest assets are "professional" sounds and the ability to "craft" your own custom sounds plus a dedicated Sampler on board. I believe the Korg Pa3X has a sampler also though too. I know it has the ability to play and manipulate audio i.e. MP3 files but I think you can also sample and edit sounds on it as well. I'll have to check the specs again on the Pa3X to make sure though. On the other hand, the Yamaha Tyros 4 doesn't have a real sampler on board, which most arrangers don't by the way. The main thing that workstations still lack of course is "full" arranger capability and features such as intro's/endings, style auto-accompaniment, registration feature, song book, harmonizer, lyrics/chord display, etc. On the other hand, the main thing that hinders arrangers, in my opinion, is the mechanical style repetition that make arrangers sound - canned - thus restricting 'natural' rhythm and beat like you would achieve from a real live band feel and sound. The Ketron Audya was suppose to help bridge that gap somewhat with a more randomized style accompaniment but I'm not sure how effective the results have been so far. I noticed that the Korg Pa3X doesn't seem to address that limitation either. Oh well. Hopefully the next generaion of arrangers from the Big Three will. At a reasonable price point too hopefully. wink Unlike the Ketron Audya unfortunately. frown

All the best,
Mike

#313252 - 01/20/11 01:52 PM Re: When Arrangers Go Away [Re: keybplayer]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: keybplayer
Workstations are pretty easy to figure out hammer. On the other hand, the main thing that hinders arrangers, in my opinion, is the mechanical style repetition that make arrangers sound - canned - thus restricting 'natural' rhythm and beat like you would achieve from a real live band feel and sound. Mike

There in lies the biggest problem...key word "REPETITIOS" !

#313263 - 01/20/11 03:06 PM Re: When Arrangers Go Away [Re: hammer]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Ian,

I agree with most everything you said above, but--if I had to do without an arranger I would just stop performing. With an arranger I'm having more fun than I could ever ask for, while a work station is just what it is termed--WORK! I don't want to work--I just like having lots of fun and getting paid for it. That's why I go sailing and write magazine articles about boating--I'm having fun, and I'm getting paid to do it. smile smile smile

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#313269 - 01/20/11 03:47 PM Re: When Arrangers Go Away [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Originally Posted By: Dnj
Workstations are pretty easy to figure out hammer. On the other hand, the main thing that hinders arrangers, in my opinion, is the mechanical style repetition that make arrangers sound - canned - thus restricting 'natural' rhythm and beat like you would achieve from a real live band feel and sound. Mike

There in lies the biggest problem...key word "REPETITIOS" !

The thing is, although KARMA is promoted to be the answer to this, it isn't, really... at least, not for real live music. While it does add a quasi-random variation on any specific part, it doesn't really follow real world rules for that 'randomness'. In real life, musicians vary their parts with some pretty specific behaviors. It isn't 'random' in any sense of the word. And each instrument does different things idiomatically.

KARMA is a 'start', but there is much to be done before this begins to sound like real players. It's great for arpeggio's and the like, but I have yet to hear KARMA make a guitar part expand on itself and remain sounding like a guitar part except for the simplest of things.

My ideal would be to have a style where each part, each variation, was played first very simply, then very complex, and then the arranger figure out the steps in between. Then have that respond to whether YOU are playing very simply or complex (and offer an inverse function, so as you get busier, the arranger gets a bit simpler) and have it sort of go along with you.

In truth, many of our objections to the repetitive nature of arrangers comes from just how FEW of our styles do anything more than four bar loops (or shorter!), despite being capable of having them MUCH longer. I know Korg is one of the best at this, but so much more could be done. Imagine a 16 bar loop, where each time you fill, it could come back in at the 4, 8 or 12 bar boundary randomly, and loop from there, too... Not that difficult to program, really.

There are simpler, more MUSICAL solutions to be found than KARMA, I think.

#313276 - 01/20/11 04:38 PM Re: When Arrangers Go Away [Re: hammer]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
It seems the Audya is the only arranger that has addressed this, and it does a pretty good job of varying the backgrounds to compliment your playing. A more aggressive playing style makes the style "more aggressive" also. I don't know how it does that, but then I don't have to.
AJ could explain how it works.
DonM

#313297 - 01/20/11 08:38 PM Re: When Arrangers Go Away [Re: ianmcnll]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Ian ,
me too.

The last workstation I owned was the Korg O1W. They have no doubt improved since then. I'm going back to 1992/93. I owned it up untill I bought my korg i2 keyboard.
Only thing I did with it was load & edit midifiles. I had the technical knowledge to know how to multitrack record etc but not the musical creativity to produce a finished song.
Hence, I use arranger keyboards.

For precisely the above reason, I probably wouldn't buy another workstation.

If arranger keyboards dissapeared off the planet earth today, I'd be more than content using Band in a Box/Real Band. In the last couple of years or so , it's gone ahead in leaps & bounds.
Hadn't realized to what extent until a few months ago when i upgraded my laptop. The audio loops it now uses for some of it's styles ( mainly country , rock & jazz ) make backing tracks sound a lot better than they did when purely midi tracks were used for styles. The majority are still midi styles or a mix of audio & midi. The good part is PG, keeps adding more of these audio styles with each upgrade. They're certainly not free, but I don't mind spending $100 or so a couple of times a year to get an upgraded version of the program , plus a heap of new files.

So, with a synth or keyboard controller plus software synths, I'd get along quite nicely.

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll

If I really had to do without an arranger, I'd go the Band In A Box route.

Ian

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#313298 - 01/20/11 08:57 PM Re: When Arrangers Go Away [Re: hammer]
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Correction on the Pa3X. It does NOT have an on board Sampler. Sequencer yes, Sampler... sorry. Which is one more example of an arranger not having a full featured sampler that is usually included in most, if not all, totl traditional workstations.

What some of you might not realize is that traditional workstations e.g. the Roland Fantom G, Yammie Motif XF, etc. are plug and play just like your typical arranger. You turn it on and start playing. When you want to include the additional "benefits" of comprehensive sound editing and sampler capability the workstation can provide that too. My Fantom G can also layer up to 8 different sounds together at one time which is a plus for those times when you might need a rich complexity in your sound on occasion. I can also split sounds along the keyboard eight ways. Favorite sounds can be recalled at the touch of a button and I can hold the keys down and transition to another sound, seamlessly, without any disruption in sound etc., etc., etc. I'm sure the Motif XF and Korg KRONOS both have a multitude of similar high end features as well.

Arrangers as we know have auto-accompaniment that assists you with your playing to give you that one-man-band (OMB) ability whereas workstations don't of course. But workstations are just as easy to play as any arranger. The main difference being that the auto-accompaniment of arrangers makes one person sound like a whole band whereas workstations are generally used for use "in" a band with other band members and where the songs that are played don't sound repetitious, canned and/or artificial. wink But if you belong to a band, and gig, you'll obviously have to split the money proceeds amongst the other band members. frown Arranger gigging proceeds go to just one person - Don Mason. smile In other words just the arranger player since you cut out the middle man. Sounds good to me. smile

I'm waiting for the day when arrangers from the Big Three provide more of a "free flow" sound such as the Audya tries to accomplish. But I don't want to spend $5,000 + tax to gain that privilege. eek Call me cheap, call me frugal, call me miserly, call me wise beyond my years laugh - nah uh... won't do it. Kudos to DonM for biting the bullet and taking out that second mortgage and forking over the big bucks for the Audya but if I was to spend $5,500 i.e. ($5,000 + tax) on an arranger it should also cook breakfast, vacuum the floors and take out the garbage too. laugh Maybe some day right? cool lol

PS: Just kidding Don. And I'm sure you've already recouped most of your investment by now because of your frequent gigging schedule. At least I hope so anyway. $5,500 is a lot of clams huh? wink I'm sure the Audya is worth it to you though.

All the best,
Mike

#313299 - 01/20/11 09:18 PM Re: When Arrangers Go Away [Re: rikkisbears]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: rikkisbears
Hi Ian ,
me too.

I had the technical knowledge to know how to multi track record etc but not the musical creativity to produce a finished song.
Hence, I use arranger keyboards.

For precisely the above reason, I probably wouldn't buy another workstation.

If arranger keyboards disappeared off the planet earth today, I'd be more than content using Band in a Box/Real Band. In the last couple of years or so , it's gone ahead in leaps & bounds.
Hadn't realized to what extent until a few months ago when i upgraded my laptop. The audio loops it now uses for some of it's styles ( mainly country , rock & jazz ) make backing tracks sound a lot better than they did when purely midi tracks were used for styles. The majority are still midi styles or a mix of audio & midi. The good part is PG, keeps adding more of these audio styles with each upgrade. They're certainly not free, but I don't mind spending $100 or so a couple of times a year to get an upgraded version of the program , plus a heap of new files.

So, with a synth or keyboard controller plus software synths, I'd get along quite nicely.

I'm much the same, Rikki...I can use a workstation, but, I really wouldn't want to.

I used one of the very first versions of Band In The Box, many years ago when working in Newfoundland...it was impressive back then, and now, it is a real mind-blowing program.

Only thing is it's not in real time, but it is still a lot more fun than a workstation...they are boring to me, and as you say, I'm not that creative with them either. Plus, in my case, I'm very lazy as well. blush

After my year's financial check-up, I may invest in the latest BIAB.

I've read your glowing appreciation of it, and agree wholeheartedly.

Ian

#313300 - 01/20/11 09:27 PM Re: When Arrangers Go Away [Re: keybplayer]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Correction on the Pa3X. It does NOT have an on board Sampler. Sequencer yes, Sampler... sorry. Which is one more example of an arranger not having a full featured sampler that is usually included in most, if not all, totl traditional workstations.

What some of you might not realize is that traditional workstations e.g. the Roland Fantom G, Yammie Motif XF, etc. are plug and play just like your typical arranger. You turn it on and start playing. When you want to include the additional "benefits" of comprehensive sound editing and sampler capability the workstation can provide that too. My Fantom G can also layer up to 8 different sounds together at one time which is a plus for those times when you might need a rich complexity in your sound on occasion. I can also split sounds along the keyboard eight ways. Favorite sounds can be recalled at the touch of a button and I can hold the keys down and transition to another sound, seamlessly, without any disruption in sound etc., etc., etc. I'm sure the Motif XF and Korg KRONOS both have a multitude of similar high end features as well.

Arrangers as we know have auto-accompaniment that assists you with your playing to give you that one-man-band (OMB) ability whereas workstations don't of course. But workstations are just as easy to play as any arranger. The main difference being that the auto-accompaniment of arrangers makes one person sound like a whole band whereas workstations are generally used for use "in" a band with other band members and where the songs that are played don't sound repetitious, canned and/or artificial. wink But if you belong to a band, and gig, you'll obviously have to split the money proceeds amongst the other band members. frown Arranger gigging proceeds go to just one person - Don Mason. smile In other words just the arranger player since you cut out the middle man. Sounds good to me. smile

I'm waiting for the day when arrangers from the Big Three provide more of a "free flow" sound such as the Audya tries to accomplish. But I don't want to spend $5,000 + tax to gain that privilege. eek Call me cheap, call me frugal, call me miserly, call me wise beyond my years laugh - nah uh... won't do it. Kudos to DonM for biting the bullet and taking out that second mortgage and forking over the big bucks for the Audya but if I was to spend $5,500 i.e. ($5,000 + tax) on an arranger it should also cook breakfast, vacuum the floors and take out the garbage too. laugh Maybe some day right? cool lol

PS: Just kidding Don. And I'm sure you've already recouped most of your investment by now because of your frequent gigging schedule. At least I hope so anyway. $5,500 is a lot of clams huh? wink I'm sure the Audya is worth it to you though.

All the best,
Mike

Mike, yes the Audya was expensive but it wasn't THAT expensive. I'm certain you can buy one for around $4,500.
DonM

#313306 - 01/20/11 10:19 PM Re: When Arrangers Go Away [Re: travlin'easy]
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Ian,

I agree with most everything you said above, but--if I had to do without an arranger I would just stop performing. With an arranger I'm having more fun than I could ever ask for, while a work station is just what it is termed--WORK! I don't want to work--I just like having lots of fun and getting paid for it. That's why I go sailing and write magazine articles about boating--I'm having fun, and I'm getting paid to do it. smile smile smile

Cheers,

Gary cool

This pretty much sums it up for me. I could always go back to playing piano, or keyboard and keyboard bass with a drum machine, but that sounds too much like work, and I'm much more into the having fun category. I think I have enough arrangers at the moment to last me for as long as I want to keep performing, or should I say, having fun.

Joe

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online