SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#312715 - 01/16/11 03:30 PM Re-thinking my position
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
cool

I purchased the best all around laptop I could find (Toshiba)..Prior to this powerhouse laptop, I experimented with netbooks..but they lacked the power to do what I wanted(run VST's and multitask).The Toshiba 13.3 screen, Intel Core2 P8400 PCU, answered the bell, and has runned flawlessly for almost 2 years..

Reading what I like about the Roland BK-7m..primarily an unlimted song library (depending on the size of the drive), capable of extracting chords from SMF's, and changing the key of audio files on the fly..I decided to revisit my laptop set ups..

I use MixCraft5 as a VST host..MC5 allows me to run multiple VST's set up as combinations and zones, playable from a single zone midi controller if I wanted to use a limited keyboard (A-33).
I have the option to use Arranger Live, Live Styler, One Man Band, or Jammer Live for my arranger needs..They are mapped out and ready to run.

I used GNMIDI to extract the chords from my "go to" SMF library (3,200 songs)...It took GNMIDI about 2 minutes to do it (batch)..

I can use my sound banks on the laptop or connect the Prelude or G70 as the sound source (via USB)..
This option allows me to benefit from chord read, when using the 17 pound Prelude.. smile

I use KaraFun to play my files ..especially the audio files..MP3, Wave,CDG..and if I want SMF (usually VanBasco)too...transpose and tempo are ready to use in real time...I also have my Toshiba set up to run an external screen, when I need/want one..

In essence, after batch running my selected group of SMF;s, I already have the sought after tools..that will do the job of the BK-7m....and about the same foot print..with a full view screen..

Sure is great to have so many options.. cool

#312754 - 01/16/11 07:54 PM Re: Re-thinking my position [Re: Fran Carango]
Nedim Offline

Loc: Staten Island, NYC
I wont really call a Toshiba the Best around...check some
of the ASUS models...will eat the Toshiba for Breakfast.

#312756 - 01/16/11 08:25 PM Re: Re-thinking my position [Re: Fran Carango]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I've had great success with Toshiba laptops...in fact the Yamaha reps all use them, at least here in Canada.

My 6 year old Toshiba Pro laptop started giving me some issues last year, so I replaced it with a custom built desktop system, that I had a couple of computer boffin
friends make for me.

I still have the Toshiba ( I had it fixed), but I rarely use it...I don't need it on gigs...all I need is my S910, speakers, stands, bench...

It's nice to see you have so many options, Fran...that's a good thing...I'm interested in how the Bk-7M works for you.

Ian

#312759 - 01/16/11 09:19 PM Re: Re-thinking my position [Re: Nedim]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By: Nedim
I wont really call a Toshiba the Best around...check some
of the ASUS models...will eat the Toshiba for Breakfast.

I said "best all around that I could find"..and yes that included the ASUS line I looked at...

In fact the "pros" (techs) all say Toshiba leads the pack for reliability , and quality components...I know I made the right choice..I prove it every day.... smile

#312761 - 01/16/11 09:44 PM Re: Re-thinking my position [Re: Fran Carango]
Nedim Offline

Loc: Staten Island, NYC
Well you might be right and deppends for what but nothing
beats ASUS yet...especially in the musical domain...i changed
quite few, all for PRO DAW work, i am talking serious LOADS
nothing came close to ASUS and also most of the reviews of
professionals say the same but i repeat, i am talking about
serious LOADS...not really light software.

#312763 - 01/16/11 10:12 PM Re: Re-thinking my position [Re: Nedim]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By: Nedim
Well you might be right and deppends for what but nothing
beats ASUS yet...especially in the musical domain...i changed
quite few, all for PRO DAW work, i am talking serious LOADS
nothing came close to ASUS and also most of the reviews of
professionals say the same but i repeat, i am talking about
serious LOADS...not really light software.

What model/specs Toshiba did you use for a comparison test with ASUS?

I have tested this Toshiba with multiple VST's...some with a size near 1 gig..in combination with B4, Pianissimo, and a moog clone software...all without a single glitch..this was running with media playback of MP3's and SMF playback..

The only other PC source that runs this smoothly for me is the MediaStation..AMD core 2 processor..

I also have a Compaq laptop ($1.500 in 2003 with a pentium 4)..it doesn't handle the above anywhere near the Toshiba..I have a pentium 4 HP desktop that can't compete with the Toshiba either..

Maybe this will bring to light why I am so high on the Toshiba...It just does the job the way it should..I even run Vista on it.. grin

#312770 - 01/16/11 10:33 PM Re: Re-thinking my position [Re: miden]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I believe he just said he has change his mind and it NOT getting one.
DonM

#313115 - 01/19/11 04:20 PM Re: Re-thinking my position [Re: Fran Carango]
vangelis Offline

Loc: FLORIDA
Just curious, do you use the MediaStation at home? or do you take it on a gig? from my experience, Toshiba is top brand in laptops.

#313143 - 01/19/11 07:20 PM Re: Re-thinking my position [Re: vangelis]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By: vangelis
Just curious, do you use the MediaStation at home? or do you take it on a gig? from my experience, Toshiba is top brand in laptops.

I currently use the MediaStation in my studio, mostly because of the weigt..I work with a trio and the Prelude does the job for me , and weighs 17 pounds..

My experience so far..the Toshiba laptop does everything I need...

I was tempted to use the MS at my winter venue, but we had a higher than normal amount of private parties..so the lighter set up worked out better ..setting up and breaking down many times thru the winter months..

For my"solo" work ..the G70 works best for me..quick edits on the fly, and reads chords from SMF's..thus allowing me to play over sequences easier..

Most likely I will follow thru and get the BK-7m when it comes in..at least for a hands on experience....

Edited by Fran Carango (01/19/11 07:21 PM)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online