SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#313122 - 01/19/11 04:47 PM Joey DeFrancesco NAMM 2011 Studio Logic NUMAORGAN
Dnj Offline

#313127 - 01/19/11 05:19 PM Re: Joey DeFrancesco NAMM 2011 Studio Logic NUMAORGAN [Re: Dnj]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Hmmm..must be Jazz...cause that's when all they do is practice and never play a song...:-)

#313145 - 01/19/11 07:33 PM Re: Joey DeFrancesco NAMM 2011 Studio Logic NUMAORGAN [Re: leeboy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: leeboy
Hmmm..must be Jazz...cause that's when all they do is practice and never play a song...:-)

Lee is that your definition of jazz?... do you know who Joey DeFrancesc is?

#313165 - 01/19/11 10:41 PM Re: Joey DeFrancesco NAMM 2011 Studio Logic NUMAORGAN [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I remember when first hearing jazz. I thought the guys playing just couldn't play the melody right, and were experimenting.

Of course, I've since come to realize only the latter half is true.

Joey D has some incredibly nice licks, but my favorite is still Jimmy Smith.

The Numa organ sounds great.

Ian

#313173 - 01/20/11 02:33 AM Re: Joey DeFrancesco NAMM 2011 Studio Logic NUMAORGAN [Re: Dnj]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I just LOVE Joey. Such a tasty player. I saw him a little while back open for Steely Dan. He is such an awesome player. I need to practice a LOT more if I could ever hope to come close to his level. If you don't get him I guess you just don't understand jazz. Sure it is an aquired taste but once you get it you never forget it.

#313174 - 01/20/11 02:48 AM Re: Joey DeFrancesco NAMM 2011 Studio Logic NUMAORGAN [Re: Dnj]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
And if you want to hear jazz at its very very best check out Return To Forever playing "Duel Of The Tyrant And The Jester" live. This is virtuoso performance combined with perfect music composition. This is one of the best jazz bands of all time.
Chick Corea is probably the best synthesizer player ever.

#313184 - 01/20/11 08:02 AM Re: Joey DeFrancesco NAMM 2011 Studio Logic NUMAORGAN [Re: leeboy]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA

During this new era of super civility, I'll refrain from saying what I really think about that statement. Instead, I'll just say that the Numaorgan sounds very good and Joey, as usual, sounds great. I know his father, John, causally, and he is also a great 'funk' organ player (in the mold of say, Jack McDuff) and a very nice guy as well.

chas

#313185 - 01/20/11 08:18 AM Re: Joey DeFrancesco NAMM 2011 Studio Logic NUMAORGAN [Re: Dnj]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
LOL, no harm intended...but isn't it true that they never play a song? Or maybe it is a song and I just don't hear it? Yes I know who he is and he is very talented. I do enjoy lots of Jazz style playing, but I don't care too much for the style of playing where as I said there is no song. More like a practice session. I know lots of people do like that style.
I've tried to like it...But...Makes me kind of nervous, don't know why....

Yes..the Numa does sound great.

#313188 - 01/20/11 08:36 AM Re: Joey DeFrancesco NAMM 2011 Studio Logic NUMAORGAN [Re: leeboy]
Dnj Offline

LOL, no harm intended...but isn't it true that they never play a song? Or maybe it is a song and I just don't hear it? Yes I know who he is and he is very talented. I do enjoy lots of Jazz style playing, but I don't care too much for the style of playing where as I said there is no song. More like a practice session. I know lots of people do like that style.
I've tried to like it...But...Makes me kind of nervous, don't know why....

Yes..the Numa does sound great.

Lee still sounds like you don't get it? ..........
Numaorgan sounds great and it has REAL Drawbars also.
Love joey D makes it look so easy!

#313193 - 01/20/11 09:09 AM Re: Joey DeFrancesco NAMM 2011 Studio Logic NUMAORGAN [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

#313212 - 01/20/11 11:37 AM Re: Joey DeFrancesco NAMM 2011 Studio Logic NUMAORGAN [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Shame he didn't touch the Leslie or mess with his registration until the very last bar. He's a great player, but perhaps not so great a demonstrator! His chops on just about ANY clonewheel with that registration would sound great. It's when you wind up the spinner, and add the high drawbars that the whole thing falls apart on so many of them.

Thing is, with the Nord's doing as well (or at least very close), but with many additional sounds, a 'one trick pony' seems not such a great deal, any more. If you are a purist, you are going to want two manuals. If you aren't, you are going to want something like an Electro or Stage, with some Rhodes, clav, WurliEP and the like, at a minimum.

The product I would REALLY like to see (and would sell like hotcakes, IMO) is a MIDI only drawbar section you can plug into Nord's. If it weren't for the damn buttons, most people would snap up a Nord and be done with it. Someone could get rich filling THAT niche!

#313219 - 01/20/11 11:55 AM Re: Joey DeFrancesco NAMM 2011 Studio Logic NUMAORGAN [Re: Diki]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
Shame he didn't touch the Leslie or mess with his registration until the very last bar. He's a great player, but perhaps not so great a demonstrator! His chops on just about ANY clonewheel with that registration would sound great. It's when you wind up the spinner, and add the high drawbars that the whole thing falls apart on so many of them.

Thing is, with the Nord's doing as well (or at least very close), but with many additional sounds, a 'one trick pony' seems not such a great deal, any more. If you are a purist, you are going to want two manuals. If you aren't, you are going to want something like an Electro or Stage, with some Rhodes, clav, WurliEP and the like, at a minimum.

The product I would REALLY like to see (and would sell like hotcakes, IMO) is a MIDI only drawbar section you can plug into Nord's. If it weren't for the damn buttons, most people would snap up a Nord and be done with it. Someone could get rich filling THAT niche!

too bad NORD doesn't agree with you ....that's why the designed it that way without draw-bars and judging by sales & seeing a Red Nord on every large music venue on the world stages they couldnt care less.

#313227 - 01/20/11 12:21 PM Re: Joey DeFrancesco NAMM 2011 Studio Logic NUMAORGAN [Re: Nigel]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Yea, Nigel, Chick is so awesome, it's hard to even compare him to others. Al sounds great, as he always does. I like him so much, I created an ES 175 just like his (pick-up change to a set of Demarzios (sp?)(same ones on the L/P in this video) and bought the nylon string Ovation electric he used before the group disbanded in the 70's (77-last show-Memorial Hall-Lexington, Ky-University of Ky campus).

Great clip of one of my all-time favorites. Haven't seen them since 77. Know you went to see them a few years ago. Have a young friend who plays with him occasionally...plays the Jean Luke parts....Jack Brock...great jazz violin player.

Russ

#313229 - 01/20/11 12:26 PM Re: Joey DeFrancesco NAMM 2011 Studio Logic NUMAORGAN [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj

too bad NORD doesn't agree with you ....that's why the designed it that way without draw-bars and judging by sales & seeing a Red Nord on every large music venue on the world stages they couldnt care less.

I wasn't really referring to Nord making it! This could be something that anyone could market. But probably the #1 objection to using a Nord I hear from the Hammond players is the buttons. Nord are determined, even after reading this, to go their own way, and that's their prerogative, but there's no reason some OTHER manufacturer can't fill the niche!

Keep it to about $200 or so, it would sell like hotcakes to the Nord owners...

#313230 - 01/20/11 12:28 PM Re: Joey DeFrancesco NAMM 2011 Studio Logic NUMAORGAN [Re: Diki]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj

I wasn't really referring to Nord making it! This could be something that anyone could market. But probably the #1 objection to using a Nord I hear from the Hammond players is the buttons. Nord are determined, even after reading this, to go their own way, and that's their prerogative, but there's no reason some OTHER manufacturer can't fill the niche!

Keep it to about $200 or so, it would sell like hotcakes to the Nord owners...

if you had to do that ...why not just buy a Hammond wink

#313231 - 01/20/11 12:29 PM Re: Joey DeFrancesco NAMM 2011 Studio Logic NUMAORGAN [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Because a Hammond has no decent Rhodes, Clav, Wurli, etc..

There's a LOT more to a Nord Electro than just the B3 clone.

#313232 - 01/20/11 12:35 PM Re: Joey DeFrancesco NAMM 2011 Studio Logic NUMAORGAN [Re: Diki]
Dnj Offline

Because a Hammond has no decent Rhodes, Clav, Wurli, etc..

There's a LOT more to a Nord Electro than just the B3 clone.

Well then its time to get a KRONOS wink

#313235 - 01/20/11 12:47 PM Re: Joey DeFrancesco NAMM 2011 Studio Logic NUMAORGAN [Re: Diki]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada

I remember seeing a drawbar unit for the Nord...I believe it was on Keyboard Corner forum...it was a a kind of "one man" operation, so I don't know if it is still being made.

The drawbars are really at their most useful when you have a free hand, and are able to "sculpt" shapes on the fly...usually easier when you're in a band, although I suppose you could lunge at them occasionally when using with an arranger keyboard or playing left hand bass.

The most important thing to me is the easy ability to change Leslie speeds, which really adds to lines, in my opinion...maybe even more so than drawbar changes in certain tunes.

Many players don't use the drawbars at all, and prefer using presets....I use both on the real B-3 I play, but again, I'm not playing bass lines with my left hand in that particular situation.

Ian

#313236 - 01/20/11 12:47 PM Re: Joey DeFrancesco NAMM 2011 Studio Logic NUMAORGAN [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

To be honest, Donny, I'm not that impressed with the Korg clonewheel. We have a new CX-3 at the studio, and I had an old CX-3 back in the day. They aren't a shadow of how good the Nord (or Hammond) is.

In some ways, there's a LOT of hyping the Kronos, so far. Many of the models leave me cold... I mean, when was the last time you said to yourself 'I wish I had a model of an old Polysix...'? Oberheim Xa, Prophet5, Jupiter8, DX-7, yes, quite likely. But I can't recall ever sitting around going 'I wish I still had my Polysix'!

Jury, at least in my case, is still out on the Kronos. Especially as a B3 emulator.

#313237 - 01/20/11 12:57 PM Re: Joey DeFrancesco NAMM 2011 Studio Logic NUMAORGAN [Re: Diki]
Dnj Offline

To be honest, Donny, I'm not that impressed with the Korg clonewheel. We have a new CX-3 at the studio, and I had an old CX-3 back in the day. They aren't a shadow of how good the Nord (or Hammond) is.

In some ways, there's a LOT of hyping the Kronos, so far. Many of the models leave me cold... I mean, when was the last time you said to yourself 'I wish I had a model of an old Polysix...'? Oberheim Xa, Prophet5, Jupiter8, DX-7, yes, quite likely. But I can't recall ever sitting around going 'I wish I still had my Polysix'!

Jury, at least in my case, is still out on the Kronos. Especially as a B3 emulator.

To me I will always miss my Old B3 & I have an affection for that classic rock organ sound always growing up on stage with my 147 ... but at this stage of the game ya gotta move on & just enjoy playing and making music.

Have you watched the 54:00 KRONOS demo I posted yet in full?

Edited by Dnj (01/20/11 12:59 PM)

#313256 - 01/20/11 01:59 PM Re: Joey DeFrancesco NAMM 2011 Studio Logic NUMAORGAN [Re: Dnj]
Tonewheeldude Offline

The Numa makes use of the KeyB Duo and KeyB Solo sound engine - its kind of a cut down version of the KeyB in many ways.

I havn't heard the leslie on the Numa, but if its the same as the KeyB...it is just staggering! It is the only true Three Dimensional simulator. When you listen through headphones on any other clone (including Hammond) the simulator sweeps across the stereo pan and makes your eyes roll.

The KeyB sim is a full 3D image and the open end of the horn moves toward you across the pan and the away from you. If you use the Leslie brake the horns stop at whatever position they are in at the time. As well as the top horn the bass rotor is also moving and you can also hear sound reflexion.

I used to maintain that a real Leslie was required for a genuine Hammond sound...not any more. As I say I am not 100% sure the Numa has this sim, but if it does you will be stunned.

#313271 - 01/20/11 04:08 PM Re: Joey DeFrancesco NAMM 2011 Studio Logic NUMAORGAN [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Aha! Didn't know that. I loved the KeyB's demos.

Still, at @ $2000, I kinda wished they had gone the Nord route and throw in some other vintage keys, too. I know how picky you are about your B3 sims, TWD, please give us your review as soon as you get to play one.

#313289 - 01/20/11 07:01 PM Re: Joey DeFrancesco NAMM 2011 Studio Logic NUMAORGAN [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I think Nord is chasing a market that appreciates the flexibility of making on the fly drawbar adjustments with the added convenience of having the new preset you call up be already at the correct position. If you have a hardware setting and switch presets, then the bars are all in the wrong places ... Nord fixed this and still kept the real time adjustments handy. i know an old school purist may miss the 'feel", but you can't really say that it's a drawback since it works the same and even better in some cases, as I mentioned.

#313341 - 01/21/11 03:45 AM Re: Joey DeFrancesco NAMM 2011 Studio Logic NUMAORGAN [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

I've used an Electro quite a bit, and yes, you can SORT of get used to the buttons, but there are a lot of things you used to be able to do with the drawbars that are difficult to pull off with the same precision that 'shading' the drawbars can do.

I feel that Nord typically appeal to those that didn't grow up playing with drawbars, if the truth be told...

To be honest, being able to see what the presets are is no biggie. On a B, those reversed keys brought up the presets, and nobody whined about not seeing the results on the drawbars! You HEARD what they were.

Truth is, it is CHEAPER for the button system, not necessarily better...

As I said above, if someone came out with a drawbar controller for $200-300, you'd quickly see how many people disagree with Nord's direction!

#313406 - 01/21/11 04:14 PM Re: Joey DeFrancesco NAMM 2011 Studio Logic NUMAORGAN [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Yeah, if someone made a small, well-integrated drawbar unit in the $200.00 range, I'd probably buy one. But I think Uncle Dave has a point, as well. To be honest, I'd rather have an easy way (numeric keypad?) to directly input a program number than the drawbars. Even as is, I can have access to most of my most used registrations with one button push. Sure there are things that you can do with drawbars that you can't (easily) do with the buttons, but in real-life playing it's kind of inconsequential. Jimmy Smith would have happened with or without drawbars (but not without Percussion smile smile ).

chas

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online