SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#313212 - 01/20/11 11:37 AM Re: Joey DeFrancesco NAMM 2011 Studio Logic NUMAORGAN [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Shame he didn't touch the Leslie or mess with his registration until the very last bar. He's a great player, but perhaps not so great a demonstrator! His chops on just about ANY clonewheel with that registration would sound great. It's when you wind up the spinner, and add the high drawbars that the whole thing falls apart on so many of them.

Thing is, with the Nord's doing as well (or at least very close), but with many additional sounds, a 'one trick pony' seems not such a great deal, any more. If you are a purist, you are going to want two manuals. If you aren't, you are going to want something like an Electro or Stage, with some Rhodes, clav, WurliEP and the like, at a minimum.

The product I would REALLY like to see (and would sell like hotcakes, IMO) is a MIDI only drawbar section you can plug into Nord's. If it weren't for the damn buttons, most people would snap up a Nord and be done with it. Someone could get rich filling THAT niche!

#313219 - 01/20/11 11:55 AM Re: Joey DeFrancesco NAMM 2011 Studio Logic NUMAORGAN [Re: Diki]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
Shame he didn't touch the Leslie or mess with his registration until the very last bar. He's a great player, but perhaps not so great a demonstrator! His chops on just about ANY clonewheel with that registration would sound great. It's when you wind up the spinner, and add the high drawbars that the whole thing falls apart on so many of them.

Thing is, with the Nord's doing as well (or at least very close), but with many additional sounds, a 'one trick pony' seems not such a great deal, any more. If you are a purist, you are going to want two manuals. If you aren't, you are going to want something like an Electro or Stage, with some Rhodes, clav, WurliEP and the like, at a minimum.

The product I would REALLY like to see (and would sell like hotcakes, IMO) is a MIDI only drawbar section you can plug into Nord's. If it weren't for the damn buttons, most people would snap up a Nord and be done with it. Someone could get rich filling THAT niche!

too bad NORD doesn't agree with you ....that's why the designed it that way without draw-bars and judging by sales & seeing a Red Nord on every large music venue on the world stages they couldnt care less.

#313227 - 01/20/11 12:21 PM Re: Joey DeFrancesco NAMM 2011 Studio Logic NUMAORGAN [Re: Nigel]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Yea, Nigel, Chick is so awesome, it's hard to even compare him to others. Al sounds great, as he always does. I like him so much, I created an ES 175 just like his (pick-up change to a set of Demarzios (sp?)(same ones on the L/P in this video) and bought the nylon string Ovation electric he used before the group disbanded in the 70's (77-last show-Memorial Hall-Lexington, Ky-University of Ky campus).

Great clip of one of my all-time favorites. Haven't seen them since 77. Know you went to see them a few years ago. Have a young friend who plays with him occasionally...plays the Jean Luke parts....Jack Brock...great jazz violin player.

Russ

#313229 - 01/20/11 12:26 PM Re: Joey DeFrancesco NAMM 2011 Studio Logic NUMAORGAN [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj

too bad NORD doesn't agree with you ....that's why the designed it that way without draw-bars and judging by sales & seeing a Red Nord on every large music venue on the world stages they couldnt care less.

I wasn't really referring to Nord making it! This could be something that anyone could market. But probably the #1 objection to using a Nord I hear from the Hammond players is the buttons. Nord are determined, even after reading this, to go their own way, and that's their prerogative, but there's no reason some OTHER manufacturer can't fill the niche!

Keep it to about $200 or so, it would sell like hotcakes to the Nord owners...

#313230 - 01/20/11 12:28 PM Re: Joey DeFrancesco NAMM 2011 Studio Logic NUMAORGAN [Re: Diki]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj

I wasn't really referring to Nord making it! This could be something that anyone could market. But probably the #1 objection to using a Nord I hear from the Hammond players is the buttons. Nord are determined, even after reading this, to go their own way, and that's their prerogative, but there's no reason some OTHER manufacturer can't fill the niche!

Keep it to about $200 or so, it would sell like hotcakes to the Nord owners...

if you had to do that ...why not just buy a Hammond wink

#313231 - 01/20/11 12:29 PM Re: Joey DeFrancesco NAMM 2011 Studio Logic NUMAORGAN [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Because a Hammond has no decent Rhodes, Clav, Wurli, etc..

There's a LOT more to a Nord Electro than just the B3 clone.

#313232 - 01/20/11 12:35 PM Re: Joey DeFrancesco NAMM 2011 Studio Logic NUMAORGAN [Re: Diki]
Dnj Offline

Because a Hammond has no decent Rhodes, Clav, Wurli, etc..

There's a LOT more to a Nord Electro than just the B3 clone.

Well then its time to get a KRONOS wink

#313235 - 01/20/11 12:47 PM Re: Joey DeFrancesco NAMM 2011 Studio Logic NUMAORGAN [Re: Diki]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada

I remember seeing a drawbar unit for the Nord...I believe it was on Keyboard Corner forum...it was a a kind of "one man" operation, so I don't know if it is still being made.

The drawbars are really at their most useful when you have a free hand, and are able to "sculpt" shapes on the fly...usually easier when you're in a band, although I suppose you could lunge at them occasionally when using with an arranger keyboard or playing left hand bass.

The most important thing to me is the easy ability to change Leslie speeds, which really adds to lines, in my opinion...maybe even more so than drawbar changes in certain tunes.

Many players don't use the drawbars at all, and prefer using presets....I use both on the real B-3 I play, but again, I'm not playing bass lines with my left hand in that particular situation.

Ian

#313236 - 01/20/11 12:47 PM Re: Joey DeFrancesco NAMM 2011 Studio Logic NUMAORGAN [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

To be honest, Donny, I'm not that impressed with the Korg clonewheel. We have a new CX-3 at the studio, and I had an old CX-3 back in the day. They aren't a shadow of how good the Nord (or Hammond) is.

In some ways, there's a LOT of hyping the Kronos, so far. Many of the models leave me cold... I mean, when was the last time you said to yourself 'I wish I had a model of an old Polysix...'? Oberheim Xa, Prophet5, Jupiter8, DX-7, yes, quite likely. But I can't recall ever sitting around going 'I wish I still had my Polysix'!

Jury, at least in my case, is still out on the Kronos. Especially as a B3 emulator.

#313237 - 01/20/11 12:57 PM Re: Joey DeFrancesco NAMM 2011 Studio Logic NUMAORGAN [Re: Diki]
Dnj Offline

To be honest, Donny, I'm not that impressed with the Korg clonewheel. We have a new CX-3 at the studio, and I had an old CX-3 back in the day. They aren't a shadow of how good the Nord (or Hammond) is.

In some ways, there's a LOT of hyping the Kronos, so far. Many of the models leave me cold... I mean, when was the last time you said to yourself 'I wish I had a model of an old Polysix...'? Oberheim Xa, Prophet5, Jupiter8, DX-7, yes, quite likely. But I can't recall ever sitting around going 'I wish I still had my Polysix'!

Jury, at least in my case, is still out on the Kronos. Especially as a B3 emulator.

To me I will always miss my Old B3 & I have an affection for that classic rock organ sound always growing up on stage with my 147 ... but at this stage of the game ya gotta move on & just enjoy playing and making music.

Have you watched the 54:00 KRONOS demo I posted yet in full?

Edited by Dnj (01/20/11 12:59 PM)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online