SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#312902 - 01/17/11 10:42 PM Re: Why I ordered a Roland BK-7m [Re: miden]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia

Hi Dennis,
sounds like there's still a couple of issues with QRanger?? or isn't it really a problem. You being a former MS owner would probably know what AFG Music is refferring to.

Is the Groove Synth Rack, something along the lines of the MS? but in rack form.

Sure hope the guys do well. Rob used to be such an asset on the Korg Forums.

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/v...sc&start=60
Originally Posted By: miden

When one of these things comes out where you can buy one, turn it on, sit down and play style after style (of whatever genre you feel like) that utterly annihilates any closed arranger, then the world will change.

Until then...

Diki, be prepared...That day is fast approaching wink

I will be happy to be the first to suggest you eat your words!! (I mean that in a light-hearted way btw smile )

Dennis [/quote]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#312903 - 01/17/11 10:52 PM Re: Why I ordered a Roland BK-7m [Re: Fran Carango]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Hi Rikki. most of AFG's issues are to do with TPQN, or Ticks Per Quarter Note...Midi timing...

When you consider all the styles on your PA800 are at 96 to 128 TPQN resolution, and AFG is saying 192 is not a fine enough timing resolution for him, you may get an idea that this level of timing resolution is, well to put it bluntly, way over the top!

Sort of like the comparisons between audio recording at 44.1khz and 48 or even 96khz..Yeah there IS a difference, but in the real world and even with the BEST ears, no-one can actually tell the difference.

It's a "paper" figure. For the extremely "fussy"! I mean 96tpqn is roughly equivalent to demi-semi quavers so you get what I mean...

There were some issues with the other points he raised, but these are being addressed in OS 5 and the new version of Qranger which I believe is coming with that release... which even AFG has not seen yet!!

Dennis

#312905 - 01/17/11 11:21 PM Re: Why I ordered a Roland BK-7m [Re: miden]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Dennis,

I was moreso interested in inversion of chords and the generation of certain chord types comment.

Anyway, good to see that there are updates to the OS and that issues do get addressed.

Sounds like you can't wait. haahaa

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#312907 - 01/18/11 12:07 AM Re: Why I ordered a Roland BK-7m [Re: Fran Carango]
miden Offline

Rikki, unless AFG can specify what chord types he is talking about I really cannot give an answer. All I can tell you is I had no problems with chord types, only that there did not seem to be a provision for creating slash chords (or on-bass if you like)..

I am told this was possible but I never got that far into the arranger section (as in native arranger engine) because I frigged around for months trying to get that piece of crap software Live Arranger working properly in Linux...I really do not think the creator of it ever got his head around Linux. That was where the problem lay. NOT with the Lionstracs OS.

The same comment also applies to the Live Styler software too. They all worked fine on Windows machines, but hopeless with Linux.

Again, if AFG wants to share the actual chord type he is having issues with, eg a flat 13 or altered ninth, or whatever, we may be able to answer his concerns. But as far as I could see the actual chord types were all about the same as what was available on the "main arrangers"

Dennis

#312987 - 01/18/11 04:03 PM Re: Why I ordered a Roland BK-7m [Re: Fran Carango]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I have an M Audio 61 note controller keyboard that I used one time. If anyone needs it let me know. Will sell, swap, barter, or accept sexual favors (certain criteria to be observed.)
DonM

#312999 - 01/18/11 06:23 PM Re: Why I ordered a Roland BK-7m [Re: miden]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Dennis,
thanks for clarifying. Didn't realize that it was Live Arranger that you'd had hassles with.
I'm not a big fan of Live Styler. The couple of times I tried the demo versions, maybe I had something wrong with my settings, but, I could never get it to play back my piano arpeggio's correctly, wheras One Man Band did.

I'm looking forward to Musikmesse. haahaa Sounds very interesting.

Rikki, unless AFG can specify what chord types he is talking about I really cannot give an answer. All I can tell you is I had no problems with chord types, only that there did not seem to be a provision for creating slash chords (or on-bass if you like)..

I am told this was possible but I never got that far into the arranger section (as in native arranger engine) because I frigged around for months trying to get that piece of crap software Live Arranger working properly in Linux...I really do not think the creator of it ever got his head around Linux. That was where the problem lay. NOT with the Lionstracs OS.

The same comment also applies to the Live Styler software too. They all worked fine on Windows machines, but hopeless with Linux.

Dennis

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#313001 - 01/18/11 06:33 PM Re: Why I ordered a Roland BK-7m [Re: Fran Carango]
miden Offline

No probs Rikki smile

I agree with you re OMB (yeah I own that one too!!) it was by far the easiest and most reliable of any of the software arrangers on the PC.

It would have been interesting to see if he could have ported it to Linux??!!

MM is going to be huge I think..the FULL release of the PA3, the full release of the new (from the ground up) Groove rack, plus more from Korg and Yamaha, and I am also reading there will be a fair bit of iPad and tablet music software/hardware released too!!

Dennis

#313022 - 01/18/11 09:08 PM Re: Why I ordered a Roland BK-7m [Re: miden]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Dennis,

yep, it would have been interesting if it could have been adapted to Linux. The newer of the 2 OMB programs, One Man Band Essentials is less complex than the original version. Be handy having a style player that loads psr styles directly, instead of just the Qranger option, or, will Live Arranger be an option?

Probably should be asking over at the other forum.

No probs Rikki smile

I agree with you re OMB (yeah I own that one too!!) it was by far the easiest and most reliable of any of the software arrangers on the PC.

It would have been interesting to see if he could have ported it to Linux??!!

Dennis

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#313023 - 01/18/11 09:24 PM Re: Why I ordered a Roland BK-7m [Re: Fran Carango]
miden Offline

Rikki, Live Arranger is NOT an option, believe me!!!.....And to be honest, the arranger is but one part of the whole that will be the new Groove XR Rack. I think folks will be pleasantly surprised by the improvements.

But for now, I think it best we wait until MM so we can all get the full details at the official launch smile

Dennis

#328700 - 07/13/11 01:32 PM Re: Why I ordered a Roland BK-7m [Re: Fran Carango]
Hal2001 Offline

Loc: U.S.
I have been curious about the Bk-7m for quite a few months now. I'm surprised that there is relatively little information with regards to reviews on it. There are only a few people with youtube videos demonstrating it. Can anyone steer me to the latest reviews on this? Is there anyplace to hear samples of what the styles sound like? What are your opinions so far? I'm looking for a good rhythm machine (not just drum machine) to go with my keyboard.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online