SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#311723 - 01/10/11 08:37 AM Suggestions / questions about fab forum software
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
1. If I click on an image that someone posted, it does not open a new tab in my browser to view it, which is what I prefer. Because if I kill that tab (and I routinely kill tabs that I no longer need because I have a LOT of tabs open at any given time), I have killed the SZ tab and I have to open a new tab and get SZ back on it. And believe me, I will forget... because I am accustomed to the way the software treats a link -- it opens a new tab. Yes, I can right click on an image an open it in a new tab, but I may not remember to do that. I wish it were automatic like the way it treats links.

2. Like other forum software that I use alot, I, personally, would prefer that this software give you a short amount of time to edit your original post before it adds an edit statement. Most forum software provides a short amount of time. Such as 1-3 minutes. Yes, there is the preview feature but it's not the same as actually clicking that final button. Sometimes, one thinks of something minor that needs to change and will make it a better post. Not a huge deal but I note that other super-popular forum software have this feature.

3. I note that the subject of a new thread... the max number of characters appears to be about 45? I wish it were much higher. (I think the old software was higher.) One of my pet peeves is people not using descriptive titles. Give them more room! Honestly, I do not think 45 or whatever it is, is enough.

JMO... otherwise, it's fabulous! I have created several online forums and I do know how much work there is to programming all of this stuff. These are just suggestions.

P.S. I am editing this within one minute of posting to test that feature again... we'll see if it adds an edit statement.

Edited by SemiLiveMusic (01/10/11 08:38 AM)

#311742 - 01/10/11 11:46 AM Re: Suggestions / questions about fab forum software [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
gilbert Offline

Loc: Oelsnitz /E Germany
Yes
I can agree about the edit time,I always seem to spot a spelling mistake or forget to add something that would make the post generally more understandable, this seems always to be after submitting my post and re-reading it
Hows about a 5 minute grace?if that's possible.

Gilbert.

#311744 - 01/10/11 12:32 PM Re: Suggestions / questions about fab forum software [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I think it's important to point out the difference between:

1) the time limit you've got to 're-edit' a post without the forum adding: "edited by John Doe (date/time)"
2) the time limit you've got to 're-edit' a post with the following added: "edited by John Doe (date/time)"

I believe Nigel currently has it set up to allow people to edit their post up to 10 minutes after it's initially posted.
In addition to the opportunity to take 'as long as you need' to PREVIEW what you write BEFORE you hit send, the extra 10 minute grace period gives the poster another generous opportunity to amend/change their post for spelling/syntax or to take back what they originally said . After that point, the post remains permanent. This seems 'more than' fair to me.

That said, if and only if the forum software supports it, I too would appreciate having a short 5 minute grace period after the initial post where the poster can change/edit their post without it appearing as: "re-edited" , but then: only 'another 5 minutes more' allowed to re-edit, but now with the "edited by John Doe (date/time)" added. After 10 minutes total time, I feel a post must remain permanent, and only be changed or removed by contacting Nigel.

I believe the current 'ten minute limit' will greatly reduce the past problems where certain members were too conveniently able to erase, change, or alter the meaning of their initial post later, simply to protect them from recrimination, or to suit an ever changing whim: often minutes and sometimes hours later.

#311745 - 01/10/11 12:37 PM Re: Suggestions / questions about fab forum software [Re: Scottyee]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Originally Posted By: Scottyee

I believe Nigel currently has it set up to allow people to edit their post up to 10 minutes after it's initially posted.

I think you are incorrect, Scott. Look again at my original post in this thread. Hence, why I posted about this.

All of this is just suggestions to make it better, I can live with anything. But some suggestions are warranted.

#311748 - 01/10/11 12:57 PM Re: Suggestions / questions about fab forum software [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Originally Posted By: SemiLiveMusic
Originally Posted By: Scottyee

I think you are incorrect, Scott. Look again at my original post in this thread. Hence, why I posted about this.

All of this is just suggestions to make it better, I can live with anything. But some suggestions are warranted.

Uh, my bad, I see that I was incorrect, Scott... that we are actually saying the same thing... we agree that there should be a short window of time where no "edited" stamp is affixed if you make and edit and then a tad longer period after that, after which the post cannot ever be edited by the OP again. And again, if this is not possible and it tags on an "edited" stamp no matter what, that's not a big deal to me.

#311852 - 01/12/11 02:03 AM Re: Suggestions / questions about fab forum software [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: SemiLiveMusic
Uh, my bad, I see that I was incorrect, Scott... that we are actually saying the same thing... we agree that there should be a short window of time where no "edited" stamp is affixed if you make and edit and then a tad longer period after that, after which the post cannot ever be edited by the OP again. And again, if this is not possible and it tags on an "edited" stamp no matter what, that's not a big deal to me.

Bill, the edited stamp is only added if you forget to uncheck the box at the bottom of the posting. So you have the ability to avoid the stamp if you do that.

#311855 - 01/12/11 02:22 AM Re: Suggestions / questions about fab forum software [Re: Nigel]
Henni Offline

Loc: South Africa
Hi,

Could we maybe be allowed to attach more than one file per posting?

Tx,
Henni

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online