SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#3126 - 03/29/02 06:47 AM Re: the NEW GUY says HELLO
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Scott,

Interesting testimony. May the Lord bless you.

#3127 - 03/29/02 09:01 AM Re: the NEW GUY says HELLO
MRT1212 Offline

Loc: Foster City
dont mind tek, hes such a kidder

and avoid the one they call *in a whisper* cloakboy *crowds boo and hiss*

hes rather grumpy and of foul demeanor...plus he likes to ride my ass for

a. begging for money from this forum
b. coming back and asking what i should get for a new computer that i had earned with half my money
c. generally being a goof
d. playing warhammer
e. my dashing good looks

#3128 - 03/30/02 07:14 PM Re: the NEW GUY says HELLO
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
Hi, and welcome. I too am a musician by trade. I have been fortunate to produce and arrange for other people beginning last year. I enjoy making other people sound good almost as much as I enjoy making myself sound good. I'm currently working on my 2nd solo CD. My first is an instrumental CD comprised of hymns with a jazz/country/blues feel to it. My second CD is going to be a country project with ministry mixed into it. I too am mainly a guitarist, followed closely by keys. I could never give up either.
check out www.roryhoffman.com
Still under construction, and not updated recently, but better than nothing.
I'm going to check out your music as soon as possible. We've got family here now over Easter. Plus, I'm using a dialup ISP. I love jazz, so this jazz/fusion music sounds appealing.

#3129 - 04/02/02 08:50 AM Re: the NEW GUY says HELLO
optinone Offline

Loc: St. Cloud, MN USA
Welcome

#3130 - 04/04/02 08:40 AM Re: the NEW GUY says HELLO
Leon Offline

Loc: British Columbia
Hirightbackattcha....
translation: Welcome aboard!!

#3131 - 04/04/02 09:30 AM Re: the NEW GUY says HELLO
OldSchool Offline

Loc: Lexington, KY USA
Sjonesmusic:
It's refreshing that somebody with chops has wandered in and sat down. Nice last name, by the way (yeah, I'm a Jones too, though, as you know, that's not terribly remarkable). As a great fan of the lions of 70's fusion guitar, I really like your stuff in that vein. I'm afraid there isn't much to compare that to these days - even the newer stuff of the old guys. Paul Scofield is on stage Saturday . . . haven't heard him in awhile.

I really like the harmonic approach of your orchestral pieces, and the string quartet is quite nice . . . somebody's been listening to Ravel and Debussy!

You might give us a hint as to what you're doing your sequences with, and through . . . Saw the Korg reference and the "real instrument" credits, but curious about the rest!

#3132 - 04/04/02 10:06 AM Re: the NEW GUY says HELLO
tekminus Offline

I'm curious, who has been listening to Ravel and Debussy?

#3133 - 04/04/02 02:22 PM Re: the NEW GUY says HELLO
Sjonesmusic Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by OldSchool:
Sjonesmusic:
It's refreshing that somebody with chops has wandered in and sat down. Nice last name, by the way (yeah, I'm a Jones too, though, as you know, that's not terribly remarkable). As a great fan of the lions of 70's fusion guitar, I really like your stuff in that vein. I'm afraid there isn't much to compare that to these days - even the newer stuff of the old guys. Paul Scofield is on stage Saturday . . . haven't heard him in awhile.

I really like the harmonic approach of your orchestral pieces, and the string quartet is quite nice . . . somebody's been listening to Ravel and Debussy!

You might give us a hint as to what you're doing your sequences with, and through . . . Saw the Korg reference and the "real instrument" credits, but curious about the rest!

Hey man...thanks so much...

Did you mean John Scofield? He;'s one of my biggest influences from that genre...

Yeah, the string quartet I wrote was intentionally in the Debussy and Ravel harmonic environment...I needed to write a piece that was both colorful, yet accessible, as it was performed within one of our church services, so those guys have the sound for that sort of thing...I just wrote from that angle, and it seemed pretty successful...

As far as the sequencing/programming process on the fusion tunes goes...

I sequenced every note from scratch on all of the instruments except guitar...

It was all done in the old notation software, Encore...

Think of it this way:

It's like having a blank piece of staff paper, writing it all out note for note, then handing it to musicians who then play it back...

In this case, after writing the notes, the musicians were my computer and keyboard rig...

No auto-comping or auto-rhythm section, or pre-recorded tracks, loops or fills were used...

I then (in this case, 6 years later) I added all the guitar parts and solos, mainly because I now have the multi-track recording technology to do it, because I was looking for something to do, and had the time...and now, quite by accident, someone with connections turned Holdsworth's label onto this project, and they've been quite enthusiastic about supporting it...

Anyway...

My keyboard modules for all sounds are the Roland JV-30, enhanced with the Roland D-550, and the occasional Korg Karma...

My guitar sounds were mainly the POD and the Vetta on a few...played on an Ibanez FGM Sabre...

The acoustic on "S'Corea" was my Taylor steel string...

I did use a Chet Atkins nylon on "Tito's Time"...

Since the release through Holdsworth's label is forthcoming, I've gone back to the tracks once again, and added some more guitar, and invited a long time friend and brilliant sax player to play on a few cuts...

The planetarium soundtrack piece you referred to, was performed entirely on my Karma, with no sequencing...

The other sequenced orchestral pieces on my site, were done in the same way as the fusion tunes, but with an orchestral approach...

The instrumentals of hymns...on my site were all recorded during performance with the band I lead at my church...they're all freak players and I've been beyond blessed to work with them and write for them for the past decade...

I really do appreciate that you've taken the time to visit my site and listen to my music, it's been my dream for some time to share it with the rest of the world...

Thanks,

Scott
www.scottjonesmusic.com

#3134 - 04/04/02 03:41 PM Re: the NEW GUY says HELLO
Spacehead Offline

Loc: Pa. USA
I hope you'll let us know when your cd is available. I've listened to a couple of tunes so far & am looking forward to getting the cd.

#3135 - 04/04/02 04:41 PM Re: the NEW GUY says HELLO
OldSchool Offline

Loc: Lexington, KY USA
tekminus:
That would be me, and, since most of the jazz tonalities of the 20th+ Century are built on French Impressionists' work over 100 years ago, probably you should too - if you aren't already (and I apologize in advance if you are, and your crack is, well, uh, tekminus as usual).

Sjonesmusic:
As I've mentioned on this forum, I did my work exactly as you describe, using Noteworthy Composer. Manuscripting is also the only way I can write, but there's no question that some things simply won't yield to MIDI. You're lucky to have real live people to play your music.

My MIDI work ended up happening because it was the only way my stuff was going to get recorded the way I heard it - not to mention the fear that, although not much, what chops I had would be gone before I dragged a sufficient number of geezers into the studio to do the deed. By the way, I posted 64kb MP3's of most of my last CD on my educational website at http://itech.fcps.net/trt15/Sound/MIDI/JLJ_Originals.htm, if you want a listen. Styles range from pop to country to jazz, but I won't pretend to have your guitar skills. Try to make up with it through some second-tenor vocals, some attention to arranging details, and (of course) stellar good looks. Like you, I multi-tracked the recording after the sequences were down - I used a rented Alesis ADAT for that.

I moved to Cubase and VST synths as a way to gain more control and realism (especially over tempo and traditional instrument sounds), as well as providing the multi-track recording "in-house." But the learning curve has been too steep, and a newly-started college degree program (lending yet another ironic twist to the "OldSchool" moniker) too time-consuming - the stuff is just sitting there.

Any-hoo . . . enough about me. Add me to the list of the folks wanting a CD copy when it's out.

(editing note: The UBB auto-link feature is, apparently, not sophisticated enough to weed out ending punctuation. Try here .)

[This message has been edited by OldSchool (edited 04-04-2002).]

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online