SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#311116 - 06/03/10 12:06 AM what is up with the desktops??
miden Offline

Loc: The World
What is going on with the desktops?

Everything seems to default to desktop 1, regardless of whats already open.

Example, I open up the players, and then I open a performance with say a VST. The perf opnes the VST to , yep you guessed it, desktop one.

This of course covers up the Players view, so I then have to use the other desktop buttons to access the task bar tab for the players view (still on desktop 1).

Before I open these programs, VST's, giga files etc, I alwasy select a differetn desktop, but it does nto seem to make any difference. They all open to D1??

Its a Linux thing I am sure, or I am not using the correct desktop buttons, or something.....

Dennis

#311117 - 06/03/10 10:04 AM Re: what is up with the desktops??
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Hi Dennis.

I think it might depend on what HOST your using. VST HOST 1 is the only HOST that loads up on desktop 1 for me.

Host 2 goes to desktop 5
Host 3 goes to desktop 6
Host 4 goes to desktop 7 and so on......

So each time I boot up and launch HOST 1, I do have to drag it to Desktop 5.

What the cause is I don't know. I also don't know how to fix this. It's really a question for Domencio.

Regards
James

#311118 - 06/03/10 01:20 PM Re: what is up with the desktops??
miden Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Irishacts:
Hi Dennis.

I think it might depend on what HOST your using. VST HOST 1 is the only HOST that loads up on desktop 1 for me.

Host 2 goes to desktop 5
Host 3 goes to desktop 6
Host 4 goes to desktop 7 and so on......

So each time I boot up and launch HOST 1, I do have to drag it to Desktop 5.

What the cause is I don't know. I also don't know how to fix this. It's really a question for Domencio.

Regards
James

Ahhh, yes that makes sense. I wonder why the Players, AND the Styles also all default to Desktop 1?

I reckon it would be far easier to allow the user to set up the desktop manually if they prefer..

Having it all on 1 makes it very awkward at times. I mean its okay if you only have one application open I guess

Dennis

#311119 - 06/03/10 03:02 PM Re: what is up with the desktops??
Irishacts Offline

Hi Dennis.

My understanding of this is that any program that is part of Lionstracs OS should come up on desktop 1. That means for example the Media players should be on Desktop 1.

The Arranger is not part of Lionstracs OS though, so Live Arranger should be on a different desktop. Only the style selection screen should be on desktop 1 as that's Lionstracs OS controlling a third party program.

Same goes for the VSTHOST. Host 1 should not be on desktop 1, it should be on 5 just like the rest of them are lined up nicely.

So in my opinion there are two issues here.
1: Live Arranger should stay on desktop 3
2: VSTHOST 1 should be on desktop 5.

Just my 2 cents though. It used to be that way actually and then somthing changed.

I don't know if this is somthing we can set or Lionstracs have to lock down though.

Cheers
james

#311120 - 06/03/10 04:05 PM Re: what is up with the desktops??
miden Offline

Okay fair enough, but try this

Open your Players as if you were going to play an MP3 backing track, then open your ASIO host 1..

ASIO host 1 then totally covers the playeres screen so you have no access to the Player controls, UNLESS you hit TAB, and then re-focus the OS to the Players view, or as you said drag it across to another desktop.

Then if you want to make a small tweak to your VST running, you need to hit TAB again, get it to re-focus on the VST view to do your tweak, THEN do it all again to get back to the players view....

Do you get what I mean?

I agree that each ASIO host should open in its own desktop..BUT being user assignable would make it much more flexible, in my view.

I suppose if the dragging of the view to another desktop can be saved within the performance, that would be acceptable.. Although I have not tried it yet

I might try that now..

Dennis

#311121 - 06/03/10 05:30 PM Re: what is up with the desktops??
Irishacts Offline

Hi Dennis.

Quote:
Open your Players as if you were going to play an MP3 backing track, then open your ASIO host 1..
ASIO host 1 then totally covers the playeres screen so you have no access to the Player controls, UNLESS you hit TAB, and then re-focus the OS to the Players view, or as you said drag it across to another desktop.

Yep, same here. Basically Dom needs to tell HOST1 that it's to go to desktop 5. All the others go to the correct desktops.

Quote:
Then if you want to make a small tweak to your VST running, you need to hit TAB again, get it to re-focus on the VST view to do your tweak, THEN do it all again to get back to the players view....

Yeah. Really the only thing to do right now is to press Tab and drag HOST1 to desktop 5. The second you do that there's no problems.

Pressing the HOST button more than once will get you jumping between desktop 1 and 5. Press Call and your back a the Media Players.

Quote:
I agree that each ASIO host should open in its own desktop..BUT being user assignable would make it much more flexible, in my view.

Sure that would be handy. Not something I'd be screaming out for myself though. I don't mind the way it works right now. So long as Dom gets HOST1 going back to desktop 5, then everything is peachy here for me.

I like the fact that each HOST goes to a very specific desktop right now. Saves me having to use the Tab button as I know where everything is without even looking.

Must start a new thread to grab Dom's attention on this actually.

Cheers
James.

#311122 - 06/03/10 06:40 PM Re: what is up with the desktops??
miden Offline

Yes, thats about it really..As simple as that. That would do me too

Pressing the HOST button more than once will get you jumping between desktop 1 and 5. Press Call and your back a the Media Players

Thats is the work around I will be using

Sure that would be handy. Not something I'd be screaming out for myself though. I don't mind the way it works right now. So long as Dom gets HOST1 going back to desktop 5, then everything is peachy here for me.

I agree again, I am not really screaming out for it as there are far more important things I would liek to see, but having ASIO 1 going to a desktop of choice, would be handy. A lot of times I only have 1 VST open so ahving it on 2,3, or 4 is cool. Does not need to be 5, but I think you get my drift

#311123 - 06/03/10 06:42 PM Re: what is up with the desktops??
miden Offline

By the way did you sort out your startup configs?

I found that by setting my velocity, audio settings, effects settings etc, and then rather than naming them as , say, Dennis 1, I just named them default. THis over-writes the actual default and every time I start up all my preferred settings are loaded

Dennis

#311124 - 06/03/10 07:43 PM Re: what is up with the desktops??
Irishacts Offline

Hi Dennis.
Quote:
By the way did you sort out your startup configs?

Yep... all is well now and I'm doing the same as you here with naming my settings as Default.

When Dom releases the next version of Wine and fixes the ASIO HOST 1 going to the wrong desktop...... well that's it for me. There's nothing on my list that needs fixing.

I've quite a lot of software up and running on the keyboard exactly how I want it now.

Cheers
James

#311125 - 06/03/10 07:45 PM Re: what is up with the desktops??
miden Offline

Cool..

Yep me too..I cannot think of anything else that is needed at all..

Its good because now all we have to do is wait for the lovely surprises that Domenico ALWAYS seems to produce from time to time, mostly when you least expect them!!

Dennis

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online