SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#311074 - 05/31/10 01:41 PM Re: About hardware experiments..
miden Offline
Senior Member

Registered: 01/31/06
Posts: 3351
Loc: The World
Quote:
Originally posted by Bachus:

I also know of a heatpipe solution with a low noise 120mm fan that would fit intoo the Groove.

But as long as you don't overclock your CPU heat should not be to much of a problem as long as the airflow through the case is high enough.


Would that be the Scythe Shuriken Rev b??(thats the one Dom is using in the Groove Extreme).

As for the second part I have quoted you on above, sorry, but I have to disagree.

The COOLER you run a CPU the better and faster it works. Over-clocking is a side issue.

If a manufacturer spec says the max temp for a CPU is 72 degrees, does NOT (in my view) mean its totally okay to run it at 69.5 degrees constantly.

As I said in my experience, a good safety margin is getting a constant ave temp within a 35% of the max. So on a CPU max advised of 72, something around 52-55 is good.

The airflow inside the MS is not ideal. as I said I have made some hardware changes (minor case-work) and these have made a BIG difference.

I am also using a Noctua system fan (the one behind the power supply board, for those who are not aware ) which is much quieter (about 1/3 of the standard issue) whihc then allows just a little more db on the CPU fan.

Although it has not much at all as the Zalman comes with a variable speed control device.

Mine is presently running at approx 1500RPM, and I am achieving an ave CPU temp of 54 degrees. If I am doing more intensive studio work where the CPU is working harder, I just ramp up the fan speed. It has a max of nearly 2500RPM.

But in gig work it NEVER needs more than 1500, in fact I could probably lower it even further

Dennis

Top
#311075 - 05/31/10 03:09 PM Re: About hardware experiments..
AFG Music Offline
Member

Registered: 03/12/09
Posts: 513
again:

from my experience with computer parts. RAM modules must be better identical(recomended but not necessary ) if you like to use Dual-channel architecture,but is not always necessary, moreover you can turn this Dual-channel architecture off on bios, then you have no problems if you use different models totally: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-channel_architecture

various DDR DDR2 DDR3 cause not any OS crash or big problems..........

a simple reason for this if it was so:


then you most have for each PC around the world one special O.S only for each PC...............

i mean

1 pc=1 O.S


but it is not like that



[This message has been edited by AFG Music (edited 05-31-2010).]

Top
#311076 - 05/31/10 03:22 PM Re: About hardware experiments..
miden Offline
Senior Member

Registered: 01/31/06
Posts: 3351
Loc: The World
Quote:
Originally posted by AFG Music:
again:

from my experience with computer parts. RAM modules must be better identical(recomended but not necessary ) if you like to use Dual-channel architecture,but is not always necessary, moreover you can turn this Dual-channel architecture off on bios, then you have no problems if you use different models totally: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-channel_architecture


[This message has been edited by AFG Music (edited 05-31-2010).]


AFG, I am not disputing you, nor am I dis-agreeing with you

I am just saying from my experience with PC hardware (and that goes back to AT PC's )

Yes it is ALWAYS preferable to have the same stick from the same manufacturer, but it has NO effect on the real-world RAM performance.

Unless of course you are using Ram Sticks from Dodgy Brothers Computer Hardware.

In which case, THAT ram is probably going to fail anyway.

If the RAM is all from reputable manufacturers and has the same speed and voltage, there are no issues.

Dennis

Dennis

Top
#311077 - 05/31/10 03:25 PM Re: About hardware experiments..
AFG Music Offline
Member

Registered: 03/12/09
Posts: 513
we say the same thing

at some points. because even voltage is not a major problem(only with same identical ram maby and maybe you get better perfomance)

read the last piece of my last post, becoue you are very fast with write one post [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/smile.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/smile.gif[/img]



[This message has been edited by AFG Music (edited 05-31-2010).]

Top
#311078 - 05/31/10 04:24 PM Re: About hardware experiments..
miden Offline
Senior Member

Registered: 01/31/06
Posts: 3351
Loc: The World
Yes I read all of your post, BEFORE I posted my response.

Time to move on

Top
#311079 - 05/31/10 09:13 PM Re: About hardware experiments..
Bachus Online   content
Senior Member

Registered: 03/02/06
Posts: 5149
I have build a few hundred PC's over the last 25 years..

Sometimes a certain brand/type of memmory just gives troubles with a certain brand/type of motherboard. Either not running at all or generating random crashes.

When building a PC i only use memmory that i know will work because it is listed in the manual. Or because i know of a configuration with that combo of mainboard/memmory that is being produced and tested by a reliable company.

Offcourse its also important that you use only 1 type/brand of memmory.
_________________________
Korg PA4x(76), korg Kronos 88, Ipad, Macbook, Mainstage3, Komplete Ultimate 11, Omnisphere2, Keyscape, Trilian, Serum, pianoteq5, Ivory2, Blue2, Zebra2, Diva, Hive, V/collection, Synthmaster2.8, Halion 6, Superior drummer.

http://keyszone.boards.net

Top
#311080 - 05/31/10 10:11 PM Re: About hardware experiments..
Tony Hughes Offline
Senior Member

Registered: 01/30/06
Posts: 3930
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:


I will says this just one more time and then I will drop it, the MS has bits crammed in like the engine under a mini bonnet (hood), in an ordinary PC there is usually plenty of room in front on the CPU fan for the cooling air to straighten out and then get out via gravity or via a second side case fan, even water cooling has been introduced for some big CPU. The CPU cooling fan on the MS blows straight into the top case which looks about no more than 50mm away this is not good, why because some of the hot air from the fan will hit the top of the case bounce around and then go back into the air intake fin on the CPU thus increasing the temperature. The results of building electronic bits sat close to each other has itís payload in warming each other up and most PC components are usually rated at no more the 40/50⁰C. If I was designing the MS the MB would be in a separate mini tower with a flying lead make the KB much lighter to handle and last forever. The MS does look a nightmare to work on, letís hope that nothing goes wrong inside. There are thermistors on all MB PCB now and this should have been flagged up if it was a problem so perhaps it isnít.

Tony
_________________________
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

Top
#311081 - 06/01/10 12:26 AM Re: About hardware experiments..
abacus Offline
Senior Member

Registered: 07/21/05
Posts: 4558
Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Tony
Desktop and Media centre PCs are also mounted horizontal and also have restricted space, but work without problems, so providing you donít use the really high power CPU, (Keep to 95w or below) cooling is no problem. (You will find if you use an auto variable fan, (Or if AMD activate cool & quiet) it very seldom runs at anywhere near full speed)

Remember Wersi have a similar construction since 2000 (Uprated in 2003 with the introduction of the P4) and apart from a faulty batch of MSI boards, there have been minimal problems with factory built units. (The P4 was probably the hottest running CPU ever made)
Hope this helps to put your mind at rest

Bill


[This message has been edited by abacus (edited 06-01-2010).]
_________________________
English Riviera:
Live entertainment, Real Ale, Great Scenery, Great Beaches, why would anyone want to live anywhere else (IÔŅĹm definitely staying put).

Top
#311082 - 06/01/10 01:33 AM Re: About hardware experiments..
AFG Music Offline
Member

Registered: 03/12/09
Posts: 513
Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Hughes:
I will says this just one more time and then I will drop it, the MS has bits crammed in like the engine under a mini bonnet (hood), in an ordinary PC there is usually plenty of room in front on the CPU fan for the cooling air to straighten out and then get out via gravity or via a second side case fan, even water cooling has been introduced for some big CPU. The CPU cooling fan on the MS blows straight into the top case which looks about no more than 50mm away this is not good, why because some of the hot air from the fan will hit the top of the case bounce around and then go back into the air intake fin on the CPU thus increasing the temperature. The results of building electronic bits sat close to each other has itís payload in warming each other up and most PC components are usually rated at no more the 40/50⁰C. If I was designing the MS the MB would be in a separate mini tower with a flying lead make the KB much lighter to handle and last forever. The MS does look a nightmare to work on, letís hope that nothing goes wrong inside. There are thermistors on all MB PCB now and this should have been flagged up if it was a problem so perhaps it isnít.

Tony



then you do not know about CPU fan air follow inside MS. MS top case has many holes for buttons, there will be air follow for inside http://www.lionstracs.com/demo/MSproinside.jpg

and do not forget keybed side, becouse from keyebd side you have very big air follow too

and Groove version has more Space already: http://www.lionstracs.com/store/images/2010/raid/Raidgroove.JPG



[This message has been edited by AFG Music (edited 06-01-2010).]

Top
#311083 - 06/01/10 06:50 AM Re: About hardware experiments..
Tony Hughes Offline
Senior Member

Registered: 01/30/06
Posts: 3930
Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
Hi Tony
Desktop and Media centre PCs are also mounted horizontal and also have restricted space, but work without problems, so providing you donít use the really high power CPU, (Keep to 95w or below) cooling is no problem. (You will find if you use an auto variable fan, (Or if AMD activate cool & quiet) it very seldom runs at anywhere near full speed)

Remember Wersi have a similar construction since 2000 (Uprated in 2003 with the introduction of the P4) and apart from a faulty batch of MSI boards, there have been minimal problems with factory built units. (The P4 was probably the hottest running CPU ever made)
Hope this helps to put your mind at rest

Bill


[This message has been edited by abacus (edited 06-01-2010).]


Bill,

Wersi are no longer in business, nothing to do with cooling fans was it.????
_________________________
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

Top
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin 



Help keep Synth Zone Online