SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#311064 - 05/31/10 10:38 AM Re: About hardware experiments..
Tony Hughes Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bachus:
now you guys got me curious what was deleted?

Upgrading hardware is not as easy as people think, many combinations of Mainboard/Memmory/videocard just don't work out.

Also with the very special Lionstracs sound hardware, i would never use hardware that has not been toroughly tested by Dom/Lionstracs. There are just to many uncertainties.

So if i assumed correctly, then Dom is right to advise everyone to first contact Lionstracs/Dom when you want to do a hardware upgrade...

And when making upgrades yourself :If you'd love to use the new Asrock Extreme3 mainboard, then you also need to use the same memmory and graphics board (and offcourse the same AMD hexacore CPU) but also the same versions of the soundhardware used in the latest Groove system.

i.e. only build a system that has been fully tested by lionstracs, if not, you might get some unexpected problems that Dom can't help you with as your hardware configuration might not be supported by the current driver models.

Hi All

I do hope that hardware is fully backward and forward compatible, the Asrock motherboard Lionstracs are using right now will be obsolete in less than a year, you will need to be able to just plug and play a new one if things go wrong.

Tony
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#311065 - 05/31/10 10:53 AM Re: About hardware experiments..
AFG Music Offline

The post was about:

if you like to use more DDR or DDR2 or DDR3 ram, all rams should come from the same series. they most be all identical the same.

not other things.

You will have no problems if you inform lionstracs italy about changes you going to made with PC hardware.

only this so do not invent stories

if Nigel delete this topic. Domenico can start new one or edit his first post.

[This message has been edited by AFG Music (edited 05-31-2010).]

#311066 - 05/31/10 12:49 PM Re: About hardware experiments..
miden Offline

Loc: The World
They do not necessarily need to be the same.

As long as the ram is the same speed, and same voltage the manufacturer has not a lot to do with it.

Apart from quality

Even if it is a slightly slower speed the BIOS should automatically detect this and throttle back the higher speed stick to the lower speed. If it jams the BIOS then the BIOS needs to be flashed to upgrade.

On my DAW PC for example, I have 8gig of ram. 2 sticks from Kinsgton and two "generic" brand sticks.

They are the same speed, voltage and capacity, but different manufacturer. No problems at all. And I have run tests (believe me ) that show all four sticks are running at full capacity.

And I can also confirm the Zalman CNPS7000C-AlCu CPU coolers also fit very nicely.

I can also confirm that if run a quad core inside the MS series, be prepared for either a very noisy fan, or a CPU running at nearly max heat levels most of the time. As the interior of the MS has very restricted airflow, being so small.

And because the MAX size of a system fan (the one near the power supply) is an 80mm one, you are limited in how much air you can pull from the inside without a cacophany of fan noise.

I have also made a hardware mod to fix this also. Previous mainboard temp 58 degrees, now it runs pretty constant at 39 degrees.

Now I know there are some that say a CPU can run "safely" at high temps, as long as it is within the spec, but personally I think having a safety margin of the CPU running at a constant temp of within 35% of the max, gives a better performance and longer life.

I am NOT disputing Domenico at all, just giving you my experience with it.

Dennis

#311067 - 05/31/10 01:02 PM Re: About hardware experiments..
miden Offline

Loc: The World
And re the original thread topic.....

There is nothing wrong with making hardware changes in anything.

Provided :

1. You know what you are doing. And have a VALID reason for upgrading hardware.

2. If you don't know, you research thoroughly first. Then ask again.
"Measure twice, cut once"

3. Are prepared for a total system failure and have the expertise (and cash ) to rebuild it.

Now NONE of this applies to the proprietary mainboards/hardware that are also in the MS. As these can ONLY be upgraded byt Lionstracs. Although if one did trash the system they are at least obtainable as spare parts

Dennis

#311068 - 05/31/10 01:03 PM Re: About hardware experiments..
Tony Hughes Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by miden:

I can also confirm that if run a quad core inside the MS series, be prepared for either a very noisy fan, or a CPU running at nearly max heat levels most of the time. As the interior of the MS has very restricted airflow, being so small.

And because the MAX size of a system fan (the one near the power supply) is an 80mm one, you are limited in how much air you can pull from the inside without a cacophany of fan noise.

Dennis

Dennis,

I did notice this some time back the MB is mounted flat unlike most PC vertically. Mounted vertically a lot of natural convection takes place in a PC off the track side of the pcb and this helps, mounting the MB in the MS flat is the only way but the air fouling around the MB looks rather bad on the MS also, I think like you say, you start putting in processors that produce more heat you will pay the price, the bad fouling on the MS will mean you will require fans beyond what would be fitted in a PC side case. Not certain if the power supply on the MS has a fan, if note then the main extract fan will need to deal with this heat also. I would like some good quality photos of the inside of MS.

Tony
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#311069 - 05/31/10 01:19 PM Re: About hardware experiments..
Tony Hughes Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Irishacts:
Dare I ask what happened.

James,

This makes me a little nervous, did anyone get a look at the thread before it was deleted, this happened with Drumremix and Audya some time back, he got a kicking for it.

#311070 - 05/31/10 01:21 PM Re: About hardware experiments..
AFG Music Offline

see my other post(again)

[This message has been edited by AFG Music (edited 05-31-2010).]

#311071 - 05/31/10 01:25 PM Re: About hardware experiments..
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA

#311072 - 05/31/10 01:27 PM Re: About hardware experiments..
Bachus Offline

There are some pretty need fan/cooling solutions for sale from the server world. they fit intoo 2 inch high rackmount servers. But most of them are pretty loud..

I also know of a heatpipe solution with a low noise 120mm fan that would fit intoo the Groove.

But as long as you don't overclock your CPU heat should not be to much of a problem as long as the airflow through the case is high enough.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#311073 - 05/31/10 01:39 PM Re: About hardware experiments..
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
http://www.lionstracs.com/store/lionstracsmanuals-p-144.html

You can download the MS hardware manual here..it shows great pics

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online