SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#310372 - 04/01/10 06:34 PM Lionstracs Mediastation – Exploration.
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Hi all.
Due to the amount of off topic conversation in the last thread I'm starting this new one. Please keep the questions and comments directly related to Mediastation and the demonstrations presented. Thank you.

Videos (YouTube)
1 - Introduction
2 – Loading Giga Files
3 – Piano Performance
4 – Arranger Introduction
5 – The Voyage – Performance with singing.
6 - Internet Access
7 - Arranger in depth.
8 - Arranger & External Module

MP3 Files
Song Title -“Daniel” – Giga files & VSTi's
Song Title - “Dance the night away” – Giga files & VSTi's

Photos
The keyboard arrives.
Opening the box.

This post will be updated to include new content.

Regards
James

[This message has been edited by Irishacts (edited 04-18-2010).]

[This message has been edited by Irishacts (edited 05-10-2010).]

#310373 - 04/02/10 09:53 PM Re: Lionstracs Mediastation – Exploration.
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
I've been saying for years how great the Mediastation sounds and how much easier it is to use than people on the forum believed. James is doing a great job of showing off the capabilities and sound of the Mediastation. Hopefully the doubting Thomas's will be no longer.

I'm sure James can chime in to agree but one thing you can't hear in any online demo is the incredible dynamic range the Mediastation has. Only the Wersi, Oasys, and Mediastation have this broad a dynamic range. In person its shocking just how broad the frequency response and dynamic range are.

#310374 - 04/02/10 11:58 PM Re: Lionstracs Mediastation – Exploration.
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
well i am looking forward to more demos before i reach any final conclusions.what i have heard so far has been encouraging. Please keep tye demos coming James in your own good time of course :-)

#310375 - 04/03/10 01:08 PM Re: Lionstracs Mediastation – Exploration.
LIONSTRACS Offline

Loc: Italy
here a new nice concert video with the mediastation.
youtube video http://www.youtube.com/user/centrorey#p/a/u/0/HtmXLFMb4PQ

soon the guy upload new video songs.

#310376 - 04/06/10 06:08 PM Re: Lionstracs Mediastation – Exploration.
Irishacts Offline

Hi.

Just a quick note to say that I've updated the first post in this thread to include YouTube video number 5. This is a more every day use demonstration as it's a straight performance of a song which is also sung live.

Kind Regards
James

#310377 - 04/06/10 06:38 PM Re: Lionstracs Mediastation – Exploration.
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Nice performance James.

How was the song constructed? Using an MP3, or midi file?

I assume some of the pads were from your collection? Because they did sound familiar.

All the patches were from the Giga/VST banks?

And what mode on the keyboard were you in? as there was no screenshot?

Did the midi/mp3 get edited using Q-Ranger? If so how did it go saving all your patch information?

Have you had a chance to check out the actual Performance Mode (thats what is WAS called). To repeat this is a mode where all panel settings are captured in a "snapshot" saved to a performance slot for later recall at a gig?

On my MS, this mode ALWAYS totally crashed it. Only a full power down sorted it out.

Nice tune.

Dennis

#310378 - 04/06/10 07:21 PM Re: Lionstracs Mediastation – Exploration.
Irishacts Offline

Hi Dennis.

Quote:
How was the song constructed? Using an MP3, or midi file?

It's purchased midi file dumped into the Midi Sequencer on my Tascam SX-1 mixing desk. My SX-1 mixing desk is an integrated DAW/ Mixing desk that runs on an OS called BeOS.

The song was then resequenced and setup to connect to the VSTi host on the Mediastation by direct midi cable connection. The Tascam SX-1 then was used to mix and apply automation and sound changes as necessary by using that midi connection to the Mediastation.

Once it sounded exactly as I wanted, the audio output of the Mediastation producing the music was then recorded into the SX-1 was a two track Audio file, Left and Right.

So in the video I'm in Media Player mode playing back a Wave file and playing over with Giga Sounds.

The reason for this approach is simply because this is how I will use the keyboard when Gigging. I could install a Sequencer on the Meidastation, but the screen is too small for a DAW Sequencer and using an external display gigging is not an option. So using the Media Player to stream audio is just simpler and less to deal with when gigging.

Quote:
I assume some of the pads were from your collection? Because they did sound familiar.
All the patches were from the Giga/VST banks?

I'm running Sample Lord on it because of the bugs in Lionstracs COMBI mode. So this gives me an alternative to COMBI mode and from that I'm running my own Piano, Guitars, Drums and Bass Guitar from Giga files. Everything else is the KORG Digital Legacy VSTi, mainly the KORG M1 VSTi.

Quote:
Have you had a chance to check out the actual Performance Mode (thats what is WAS called). To repeat this is a mode where all panel settings are captured in a "snapshot" saved to a performance slot for later recall at a gig?

No not really. I've only glanced at it and I really mean glanced. I did a quick little test at the time and it didn't recall what had setup so I left it as something I would look at later on properly.

I'll get to it this week though and report back.

Quote:
On my MS, this mode ALWAYS totally crashed it. Only a full power down sorted it out.

No crashes here yet out of everything I've ever tested. Generally speaking the keyboard is extremely stable and all the core issue you had with no sound and bootup problems are clearly gone.

There are some things that don't function as expected though because of bugs. Most of which are very minor and you can easily work around them, but then there are things like the COMBI mode bug with make it useless and the fact that qRanger chokes to death when you slow down a midi style.

All in all though there is very little wrong in what I've tested so far. Considering the depth of the system, it's running extremly well actually. The COMBI mode bug needs to be closed out though, that's on my **** list as being a core function that does not work at all.

Qranger.... don't really care about it. Live Styler runs a million times better on the Mediastation anyway.

Regards
James

[This message has been edited by Irishacts (edited 04-06-2010).]

#310379 - 04/06/10 08:08 PM Re: Lionstracs Mediastation – Exploration.
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Cheers m8 . Thanks

Thats how I would be running it too, from an external DAW, in my case a laptop, using the MS for live play, and the midi/audio file I have created for the backing track.

I think my mistake was expecting the MS to do the whole job. Had I had a laptop system with the software I am now using back then, I may have stuck with it.

Actually I WOULD have stuck with it

D

#310380 - 04/07/10 04:20 AM Re: Lionstracs Mediastation – Exploration.
rphillipchuk Online   content

Loc: Ontario Canada
James
I Just listened to Video #5.....Bravo !!! Bravo !!! The path that you are taking, on your discovery of the "Mediastation", is looked on with great anticipation and so far, we are truly rewarded with some awesome videos .

Please continue on with your excellent journey ...I look forward to the future !!!

------------------
createsongstyles.com

newmusicroom.com

[This message has been edited by rphillipchuk (edited 04-07-2010).]

Styles
Yamaha Styles Only
Midi Safe

#310381 - 04/07/10 06:50 AM Re: Lionstracs Mediastation – Exploration.
Irishacts Offline

Quote:
Thats how I would be running it too, from an external DAW, in my case a laptop, using the MS for live play, and the midi/audio file I have created for the backing track.

Yeah, it really simplifies things when you do that. The VST HOST has something like 100 + Performance slots which can recall all your VSTi's setup the way you want and connecting an external sequencer to those is really straight forward. At no point do you feel things are starting to get complicated. The hardest thing to overcome to be honest when working like that is the size of the screen because all your vsti's are on one desktop when running like this. Running software designed for a DAW on a 800X600 screen is like trying to eat an apple through a letter box. At home or in the Studio using an external monitor is going to be key to being very productive on the Mediastation. Then when your out gigging you use mp3's or wave files of your sequenced data you produced at home. I think that's really the only way to go to be honest.

The media player is excellent and for speed or easy of access to songs it would put any workstation / arranger keyboard to shame. Jumping in and out of Media mode to select sounds to play along with it is also dead easy. I can jump back to my VSTi or Giga library at the press of a button and call up my sound. When I want to get back to the meida player I just press the CALL button.

So in a gigging environment there is very little to operate and you really do have instant access with zero seconds delay to any song. As you know you can even fade one in over the other if you use both sides of the media player.

Quote:
I think my mistake was expecting the MS to do the whole job. Had I had a laptop system with the software I am now using back then, I may have stuck with it.
Actually I WOULD have stuck with it

Yeah, I think the key to getting the most out of it is to find a way to work with it in a productive manner even if that means using external hardware. For me I think an external monitor, mouse and keyboard are key to get control over the VST HOST when your setting up a 16 part setup of VSTi's that works with your external sequencer.

Also running Sample Lord on it instead of using it's own Giga Player hugely simplifies things when your setting up many synths to work with your external sequencer. Sample Lord is a 16 part sample playback software that supports giga files and many other popular formats, but the key point here is that it also loads up as a VSTi in your HOST. So you can have all your VSTi Synths and your Giga Files all running from one single host. No need to jump to any other mode now to complete a song. All you need at this point is a external monitor so you can productively use all that.

The only thing about all that is now I'm using the Meidastation more like how a Neko operates.

Regards
James

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online