SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#31015 - 08/20/06 12:55 AM SD1 Sampler Memory
Tony Hughes Offline

It appears that the SD1 has little memory for large quality samples does anyone know if the sd1 plus can be upgraded, I want to put some Wurlitzer samples on and they are too big according to the sample company

Regards
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#31016 - 08/20/06 01:29 AM Re: SD1 Sampler Memory
viocaia Offline

Loc: Romania/Norway
Hey!
I tried to put 32M but the machine still sees 16M...It should be nice to have some more.Also I tried to change the sampling rate to 22khz...for saveing space ...it's working but of course is not the same quality.
Maybe we should ask AJ.
Vio

#31017 - 08/20/06 02:58 PM Re: SD1 Sampler Memory
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Vio,
what source do you use for samples??

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by viocaia:
[b]Hey!

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 08-20-2006).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#31018 - 08/20/06 02:58 PM Re: SD1 Sampler Memory
rikkisbears Offline

double post

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 08-20-2006).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#31019 - 08/20/06 04:34 PM Re: SD1 Sampler Memory
viocaia Offline

Well..I'm still experimenting.I dont use any sampler instrument..yet..in really live singing situation.But I have some samplers, guitars ,pianos,basses and so from Native Ins, old Akai ones and some others from friends of the friends.It's a hole folklore about it on the net.As long as is in wav. format you can use even Sound Blaster ones!(?)
Now I'm ready to upgrade my SD1 with the EXP instruments from AJ..then I'll see if I need anymore samplers.I'm playing a lot of countries and fast songs so I need good guitars ,piano,organ and drums+bass.It's looking like the EXP will do it for a while.
I found very realistic some of the sounds coming with NI Bandstand, but I don't know if we are aloud to use them.
Vio

#31020 - 08/20/06 07:36 PM Re: SD1 Sampler Memory
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Vio,
I tried using a soundfont ( format the soundblaster cards use) converted it to wav file etc etc . Managed to load it, but sounded somehow lifeless? Probably needed to do of editing or add effects or something. I thought they may be a good source for wav samples as there's so many free ones on the net.
I've ended up with 100's of them for my softsynth/arranger project.

Wouldn't the Bandstand samples be too large for the limited amount of sample memory in the sd's. Even my soundfonts vary in size from below 1mb upto well over 100mb depending on the quality.

While you're experimenting, have you ever tried importing new drum loops & syncing them to a style?? That has some interesting possibilities.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by viocaia:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#31021 - 08/21/06 02:16 AM Re: SD1 Sampler Memory
viocaia Offline

HEy Rikii
The sound of a new instrument depends by the quality of the samplers.I did some guitars bigger then 3M and I uploaded to HDD via PC cable.So there is no problem if you make a new instrument MSP bigger then a floppy 1,44M as long as the waves are in the SD1 HDD.Also the size depends of how many samplers you use for a certain instrument it can be from 1( sounds somehow few keys up and down)and 64,max capacity.I did some like 5 samplers per octave.Also depends how many instruments you need.If is only one ..you can make it like 16M, with as many samplers as fits in 16M.I did some editing,like cutting waves to make the notes shorter and downsampling to 37500khz for getting some more space.Even 22khz works,I did some background vocals and guitar riffs like that using them with midifiles every night on the stage.Sounds good.I think KMSP is a helping software to do MSP instruments.
Yes, I been thinking about adding sliced loops to a style.I think we can even have a song like that...only wave,with intro and all the others parts.That should be cool!I'm waiting for EXP, 'cause the loading time is much faster after upgrade and I 'll let you know about.
Vio

#31022 - 08/21/06 10:24 PM Re: SD1 Sampler Memory
Tony Hughes Offline

Apparently the Roland Phantom is busting with memory

Have a listen to the Blackpool Tower Organ
only 14 ranks of pipes, click below, and some nice Hammond sounds

Tony
http://www.totaltransformation.co.uk/demos.html

[This message has been edited by Tony Hughes (edited 08-21-2006).]
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry, Ketron_AJ, Tonewheeldude 

Help keep Synth Zone Online