SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#309949 - 08/16/06 06:14 PM Latency problem with ASIO driver and sound change
RobertG Offline

Loc: Southeastern PA, USA
I am using Chainer as a VST host with ASIO4All v2 driver to use SampleTank v2 with a Axiom 49 keyboard for input on a PC running XP.

BTW, Chainer and SampleTank v2 are free demo versions. ASIO4ALL is free.

Everything basically works. However, when I switch sounds in SampleTank there is a hugh latency problem between hitting a key and hearing the sound. I found a workaround of simply bringing up the ASIO4All panel in Chainer, changing nothing, and closing the panel. Then there is no latency.

Any thoughts from anyone on what is happening when I open/close the panel or what setting in the 12,000 dialog boxes that makes up this configuration I should manipulate would be appreciated.

[This message has been edited by RobertG (edited 08-16-2006).]

#309950 - 08/17/06 05:45 AM Re: Latency problem with ASIO driver and sound change
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
That's a good question. I never know when to use ASIO, and how to configure it. Also, ASIO is audio, right ?. Does that pertain to midi drivers in any way ? Are samples, like in soundfonts, controlledby my midi or ASIO ?

Obviously, midi out from a sequencer carries instructions to a soundcard or sampleset. It then is processed into audio and to the speakers.

Am I missing something ?
Bernie

#309951 - 08/17/06 05:58 AM Re: Latency problem with ASIO driver and sound change
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Robert my guess is that you are using a direct driver or emulator driver until you open the Asio4all panel, assigning the Asio4all driver..
It shouldn't work that way, maybe it is your host program glitching things.
I use Forte as my host and Asio4all driver with my soft synths without the problem you are experiencing..

Once you do the procedure you stated, does everything work fine for your session.....if so , just be happy that it does...How long does your demo versions work? What are the limitations?
Maybe here lies your problem..

#309952 - 08/17/06 08:26 AM Re: Latency problem with ASIO driver and sound change
RobertG Offline

Bernie: ASIO is audio, not midi

Fran: All does work once I do my proceedure. They only limitations in the demo version is you can't save presets or settings. There is no timeout or any functional limitation. I first tried the Forte host demo and that gave strange analog synth sounding results.

#309953 - 08/17/06 09:31 AM Re: Latency problem with ASIO driver and sound change
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Quote:
Originally posted by RobertG:
I first tried the Forte host demo and that gave strange analog synth sounding results.

Huh? Forte is a host software, it has no voices.
Starkeeper

#309954 - 08/17/06 03:23 PM Re: Latency problem with ASIO driver and sound change
RobertG Offline

Starkeeper: Sorry to Huh you. I used Forte as a host for SampleTank. Both are demo versions. The SampleTank Rhodes73 sounds like an analog synth in Forte but not when using Chainer for the host. Chainer however has a latency problem with ASIO4All.

Hope this unHuhs you.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online