SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#309900 - 01/26/07 08:01 PM OT - I Am Recovering.....
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Some may have noticed that I have not been very active in the last few months. Well I had my last hip replaced and trying to to get back to normal. I just about lost my life. I needed 5 blood transfusions over 2 or so days after the surgery but those are now by-gones!!!

So for those who may think that hip replacement is not a big surgery....well it can be!!!

Yesterday I tried to get back to playing some music and found that my Yamaha mixer passed away....sad. So now I need to decide what to replace it with. I need about 4 inputs plus 1 mic input. Any sugestions....say Behringer vs Mackie, etc.?

Thank you

#309901 - 01/27/07 12:23 AM Re: OT - I Am Recovering.....
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Hi Frank
It seems you just went through your ordeal on your first replacement. I am sure happy to hear you beat the Grim Reaper, and are on the road to recovery. It's a good thing you have only two hips.

As far as mixers are conscerned, I like Behringer. You can pay more,but I don't see the benefit.

Good luck
Bernie

#309902 - 01/27/07 02:51 AM Re: OT - I Am Recovering.....
richard_shiflet Offline

Loc: Greenwood, SC -USA
Hey Frank,

Really good to hear from you again. Glad you're on the road to recovery and back posting on SZ. We've missed you knowledgeable input.

As far as the mixer, depends on how much you want to spend. You just can't beat Berhinger for the money, however I've owned several and find that their durability/longevity is somewhat limited. Of course at the price you can consider them like disposable mixers replacing with a new one when they begin to give trouble. I find Mackie to be crisp in the highs yet somewhat lacking in warmth.

My pick would be a board with warm British EQ's like the Allen and Heath line, but they are a bit more expensive.

But again, really glad to have you back, keep posting

Richard

#309903 - 01/27/07 01:49 PM Re: OT - I Am Recovering.....
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Frank,
so sorry to hear you had such an ordeal with your hip replacement.

Hopefully you'll be feeling 100% again soon.

We've certainly missed your input.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#309904 - 01/27/07 03:32 PM Re: OT - I Am Recovering.....
Vquestor Offline

Frank, sorry to hear about your complications,
and hope for a speedy recovery.
As far a mixer(between the 2 choices), I would recommend a Mackie, since you always spend the extra buck to get the best possible.

[This message has been edited by Vquestor (edited 01-27-2007).]

#309905 - 01/27/07 06:33 PM Re: OT - I Am Recovering.....

Thanks everyone for your comments and recomendations. When it comes to health issues I guess my best advice is not to get old....things just seem to fall apart.

#309906 - 01/27/07 07:23 PM Re: OT - I Am Recovering.....

As soon as I can get my system operational I will start to incorporate the following updates:

Kontakt 2.2 plus a number of scripts
Bandstand (already done)
forte Ensemble
New or Updated Virtual Instrments
Garritan GM Wavetable (have not seen much about this lately)
Garritan Advanced Personal Orchestra
Live - Styler 9.0.3 (already done)

With these updates, my software arranger system will hence forth be known as the flr2007 arranger system. I must be recovering or a slave to updates....may be I should sign in at an addiction’s recovery center.

I have noticed at this years NAMM show that many of the sample developers are developing their own sample players (Garritan, EastWest, etc.). I am not certain that this is good for the end user. Some are implementing complex protection schemes which can cause problems, e.g., iLok, etc.

[This message has been edited by Frank L. Rosenthal (edited 01-27-2007).]

#309907 - 01/27/07 10:40 PM Re: OT - I Am Recovering.....
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Frank, I previously owned 3 or 4 Mackies, and now own 2 Behringers. I've never had a minute's trouble with the Behringers. I had trouble with every one of the Mackies, including dirty, scratchy pots (despite their advertising touting the sealed pots).
That's must my own personal experience.
The new Behringers supposedly have a new effects processor and "British e.q.".
Can't beat the price.
DonM

#309908 - 01/28/07 12:16 AM Re: OT - I Am Recovering.....
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Frank,
not sure it's out yet. They've got another interesting one too, something about Drag n Drop Sampling.

Still haven't taken the plunge yet and bought any of the Garriton stuff, bit worried about my laptop & possible latency.

I did download this demo for a piano, & it appears to work flawlessly with forte etc, no noticeable latency, so maybe I'm concerned over nothing.
http://www.truepianos.com/

The GM wavetable by Garriton sure sounds interesting.

best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:
[B]Garritan GM Wavetable (have not seen much about this lately)

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#309909 - 01/28/07 12:28 AM Re: OT - I Am Recovering.....
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
The Geeks over at Receptor are absolutely rabid for True Piano
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=165575&sid=ea883e7429bde7eea50f1ee3e393a614
Bernie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online