SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#309766 - 09/19/07 07:26 AM flr2007
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Some time ago (a very long time ago) I said I was closing in on my new updated arranger system namely the flr2007 with the following updates:

Kontakt 2.2
Bandstand
B4II
forte
Live - Styler

Also, a long time ago I said, "What is left to update or acquire includes Garritan's GM and some other sound libraries (GPOA, Virtual Instruments, etc.)".

Well, I am still waiting for the Garritan GM wavetable which should be out during the Fall of 2007....we'll see!!!

In the meantime I am working towards my flr2008 software based arranger system. There have been recent updates as follows:

Kontakt 2.3 and soon 3.0
Live-Styler 9.7
GPO & JABB Kontakt Players & Libraries
Bandstand - soon
forte Ensemble - soon (testing beta versions)

I am staying a while longer with Windows XP. Vista still seems to have the following issues:

* Drivers are still missing or weak for soundcards etc.

* Support for 64 bit operations in applications is still not available or weak.

* To many bugs in general.

So I plan on waiting for another 6 months to a year before I convert to Vista.

#309767 - 09/19/07 08:18 AM Re: flr2007
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Kontakt 3 is out http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=kontakt3 and the demos sound like a big improvement over Kontakt 2.

Bill

#309768 - 09/19/07 09:22 AM Re: flr2007

Bill, thanks for drawing attention to the availability of Kontakt 3. I will be placing my order in next few days.

#309769 - 09/19/07 03:29 PM Re: flr2007
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Frank,
is there any news at all on Garritons GM.
They seem to have been promising it for quite a while now, but it hasn't surfaced as yet.

Are they actually making some sort of a major change to forte??

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#309770 - 09/19/07 04:27 PM Re: flr2007
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:

I am staying a while longer with Windows XP. Vista still seems to have the following issues:

* Drivers are still missing or weak for soundcards etc.

* Support for 64 bit operations in applications is still not available or weak.

* To many bugs in general.

So I plan on waiting for another 6 months to a year before I convert to Vista.

Hello Frank,

Just saw your topic. There's another topic about Vista in the General Arranger section where I just replied
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/016220.html

You're wright about the soundcard drivers.
I cannot find a pro card either with 64bit vista ready drivers..

But:
Sonar 7 is ready and so are some plugins.
Also reason is ready.

I think I take the plunge in a couple of weeks and probably install a creative card untill they have vista drivers for my delta 1010.

And I will go the software route completely on this new machine.
I probably add a Roland PCR800 for realtime control and playing...

Fred

#309771 - 09/19/07 07:49 PM Re: flr2007

Rikki, there is not a whole lot of information concerning the Garritan GM other than that they are currently coding the wavetable and it should be available .... shortly????

With respect to forte Brainspawn is making a number of enhancements. Given I am one of the Beta Testers I can't be anymore specific. It to should be out relatively soon .... I would think???

And Rikki, if only you would give up on your hardware based arranger keyboards .... I could rest my case!!!

Fred, I noticed you plan on using the Roland PCR800 as your controller keyboard. Why do you prefer it over others? I have been using the Roland A37 since it came out....many years. It still does the job and I like the 76 keys.

[This message has been edited by Frank L. Rosenthal (edited 09-19-2007).]

#309772 - 09/19/07 08:15 PM Re: flr2007

Rikki, I just saw today's Garritan GM update:

"General MIDI (GEM)

The GEM (General MIDI) library is just about there and we are in finale testing. It s being encoded and I'll provide more information soon. This library is a complete collection of General MIDI sounds integrated with the powerful Kontakt 2 Player sampling engine. It features the entire 128-instrument range of General MIDI sounds - punchy brass, funky basses, out of this world synth pads, wailing guitars, organs, gorgeous strings, striking pianos, ethnic instruments, sound effects, etc. This library will be of great benefit to those who work with general MIDI files."

[This message has been edited by Frank L. Rosenthal (edited 09-19-2007).]

#309773 - 09/20/07 01:30 PM Re: flr2007
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:

Fred, I noticed you plan on using the Roland PCR800 as your controller keyboard. Why do you prefer it over others? I have been using the Roland A37 since it came out....many years. It still does the job and I like the 76 keys.

[This message has been edited by Frank L. Rosenthal (edited 09-19-2007).][/B]

Hello Frank,

I don't have a real controller keyboard. I used my Kurzweil K 2600 if I needed track's in real time.
As output I used hardware only (racks and keyboards)routed thru a midi patchbay (unitor amt 8)
Since the last 6 years I play in a 70ties pop/rock band and I did not compose any new piece, mainly because I tend to pull something out my home studio each time if needed in the band. So nothing attached anymore cables all over, iow a mess.

To get myselve composing again I decided to go the software route completely.
Allways ready to go and not much place needed.
Just a PC with two flatscreens (another issue as I want below 5ms response time)
and a controller board.

The kurzweil will stay as my inspiration for new ideas which devlope while playing.

The pcr800 has a usb connection as well, nice studio panels witin Sonar with lot's of assignable real knobs, and not expensive.

While I prefer 76 keys for real time playing, I don't think I need them for only
computer input. (If needed I can always hook my Kurzweil)

Also edirol seems to be Vista ready so hopefully one problem less to deal with.

Fred

#309774 - 09/20/07 07:40 PM Re: flr2007

Thanks for your comments Fred .... makes sense.

#309775 - 09/20/07 10:17 PM Re: flr2007
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Thanks Frank,
even though I had considered getting garriton BigBand, I think I'll wait and see what the gm version of garriton is like
( I gather that you may be getting it?? ), probably be of more use to me.

Good to hear that Brainspawn is making further enhancements & that you're not just reffering to an update to fix a problem or something. I realize as a tester you can't go into detail.

As for the keyboards, hubby keeps offering to buy them for me, & I just can't say NO. haa haa.
I thought I was cured of my keyboard addiction, but alas.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online