SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#309680 - 08/02/06 10:40 PM Comparing OMB & Live Styler
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi

Just doing some experimenting tonight. I set both OMB and LS to the computers onboard sounds and picked English Waltz from the PSR2000.

I noticed on LS that on variation C there is an odd drum sound not present on OMB. While LS plays the C ending correctly slowing down gradually OMB immediately jumps to the slow speed when the same ending is chosen. It appears to be jumping the gun as far as any speed changes.

So here is one tiny example. I know there have been others, but this the first time I did it as a controlled experiment using the same sound source.

Here is another that had happened to me before which shouldn't make any difference what sound source I was using, or could it? On this particular style, don't remember which one, on LS wrong notes were played in the intro, whereas OMB played the correct notes.

So, any comments?

#309681 - 08/03/06 04:34 AM Re: Comparing OMB & Live Styler
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Scott, there definitely can be problems as you have indicated. If we find problems and identify them to Jos and Norbert they will very quickly fix them.

Things to do with wrong notes have often as not to do with the XG vs GM vs GS standards, e.g., piano playing were it should be the drums, etc. OMB has more features that take care of this whereas in LS you need to make sure that if you are using the GM Wavetable you need to put all drum tracks on 10 and that the drum instruments within the kit conform to the GM standard.

#309682 - 08/03/06 07:04 PM Re: Comparing OMB & Live Styler
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Scott
the odd drum sound could have been due to your drum soundsource being gm? & the styles xg.
Don't know why the note would psound in LS & not in omb unless your gm/xg settings are different in both programs.

Actually I think I've got a version of the EnglisH Waltz , I'll try it with mine and see what happens as far as the slowing down goes.

I don't think your soundsource is the problem with incorrect notes playing in the Intro. I had problem with LS playing my arpeggio piano styles correctly. Worked ok for c maj, I think dmin was ok, emin was way off. The correct notes were playing but the pattern was all over the place. Main reason I haven't swapped from OMB, because OMB does play them correctly. I use a lot of arggio type styles.

best wishes
Rikki
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
Hi

I noticed on LS that on variation C there is an odd drum sound not present on OMB.

While LS plays the C ending correctly slowing down gradually OMB immediately jumps to the slow speed when the same ending is chosen. It appears to be jumping the gun as far as any speed changes.

So here is one tiny example. I know there have been others, but this the first time I did it as a controlled experiment using the same sound source.

Here is another that had happened to me before which shouldn't make any difference what sound source I was using, or could it? On this particular style, don't remember which one, on LS wrong notes were played in the intro, whereas OMB played the correct notes.

So, any comments?

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online