SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#309638 - 07/30/06 10:47 PM Re: Soundfonts
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi Rikki

All that stuff is on. I didn't register. I wanted to test it out. I wonder if I need to do that first whether I donate or not.

#309639 - 07/31/06 02:06 AM Re: Soundfonts
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
No, it is fully functional.
Bernie

#309640 - 07/31/06 04:38 PM Re: Soundfonts

Notta. Guess I'll try downloading again.

#309641 - 07/31/06 11:10 PM Re: Soundfonts

Well, I deleted Synthfont and some other programs I've downloaded recently, and what do you suppose. After fiddlin' I got Synthfont to work using their Synthgm voices. A major accomplishment. I try to switch to the sgm180 and same old error "Nothing to play"

So can someone tell me how to switch from one set of soundfonts to the other. I've been just changing the default player and that will change what's listed under file name but, one set sounds and the other, nothin'.

I am wondering if it makes a difference where the sgm180 is downloaded to, if there is a certain way to associate it with SF.

I would be interested in hearing the sgm180 because the synthgm is a bit thin I'd say.

Now maybe I should delete all the OMB stuff and start from scatch. I did have something come up before, an error that said something about midfi feedback..blah, blah. If I remember correctly I read someplace that could crash my computer if the safety device didn't catch it.

#309642 - 07/31/06 11:37 PM Re: Soundfonts

Everything under File now says sgm180 and no sound. I right clicked and brought in one synthgm voice and it alone worked. You know, there is a lot to be said about plug and play

#309643 - 07/31/06 11:54 PM Re: Soundfonts

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:
Here is another site of free soundfonts: http://www.hammersound.net/

The best way to use OMB or Live - Styler is to use VST Host software as indicated in above noted posts:

Install and Load OMB or LS
Install & Load Host software (forte, console, etc.)
Load VST (sfz, synthfont, etc.)
Load soundfonts within the VST.
Connect OMB or LS to host via Midi Yoke or Maple virtual cables).
Setup the midi ports & channels for Style and lead voices.
Connect your controller keyboard via soundcard to Host.
Load style in OMB & LS and play

Frank,

I wanted to thank you for this info, but it doesn't sink in for me. My wife who is good at computer related things won't even look at the soft arranger stuff anymore and told me I ought to chuck it.

I'd rather try it a bit though and see if there is a future for me.

I wonder if someone could possibly walk me through setting up OMB with the free stuff listed on Jos's site or something like that. I would really like to try OMB with Hypercanvas and also soundfonts.

If there is something in OMB help file or directions that would be better than the tutorial I'd be happy to look it up myself and try again. But right now there are too many new terms etc that strikes me like the cartoon about what a dog hears when it's master is talking...."blah, blah, blah, Rover, blah, blah, blah,Rover, blah, blah."haha

I think I will delete all the OMB associated stuff I have downloaded and start over. I obviously have something set wrong if it's giving me a midi feedback error and I understand I can crash the computer with that.

Well, that's where I'm at. If anyone has suggestions I'm all ears. Thanx for the patience to listen to this

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 08-01-2006).]

#309644 - 08/01/06 01:27 AM Re: Soundfonts

I have thought this over. I believe if I am having this much difficulty with my background not to mention my wifes background teaching, selling and playing concerts on home organs,then I believe I need to suggest to those that are producing soft arrangers should have an easy quick start where a person with less knowledge than my wife and I could follow each step of a step by step process.

If there is a step by step approach with either OMB or LS I missed it. If someone can point that out, fine. Otherwise I feel I need to advise those that are making these programs to have a quick start for our benefit as well as theirs, because I can gaurantee they are now selling about 1/10 of what they could be as it stands.

I feel the problem is the techs don't know how to relate to a lay person.

So I will contact those that hopefully can/will do this for all interested in this.

#309645 - 08/01/06 01:35 AM Re: Soundfonts
Bernie9 Offline

Scott
I am wondering if SGM180 was fully loaded. As with me, Synthfont worked with a lighter set. Did you get anymore RAM memory ? I have ordered more memory for my PC. If SGM180 works then, I'll let you know.

#309646 - 08/01/06 01:54 AM Re: Soundfonts

Hi Bernie

I was wondering that also. My wife built this computer and I know it's a very fast souped up job. I will ask her but I am quite certain she built this for me so I could do studio quality recording so I am quite sure that it is more than adequate.

That is one reason we don't have an Audigy sound card. Unless something has changed very, very recently, although they made it sound like it did, but they did not record at 24/96. I believe some editing was possible at that rate, but not recording. This led to a lawsuit over faulty advertising. I use a studio quality sound card by Echo Audio, the Mia 24/96.

Anyway, I'm just trying to take some steps so I have some kind of success with this,this time, or I will probably dump it and never return, which I really don't want to do.

Think I'll count backwards from 10 to 1 now

#309647 - 08/01/06 07:38 AM Re: Soundfonts
Bernie9 Offline

I am in the same boat, this is all new to me. It can get to you if you let it. I take the pro's advice, and go a step at a time. When you have had it, let it rest. The only problem is I hate to give up and admit defeat.

I am trying to learn my Receptor, B4, Kontakt2, Colossus, while trying to learn how to program a controller. This is in addition to getting a good sounding GM soundset in either SFZ or Synthfont.

By your earlier post, it sounded like you were low on memory. I bought 512MB for $60, to add to my 256MB. We'll see today if that was the problem.

Bernie

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online