SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#309542 - 07/23/06 12:54 PM Some success with Live Styler and Hypercanvas/Super Quartet
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hello

Finally, with the help of Norbert the creator of LS, I was able to get it to work with Hypercanvas and Super Quartet. It sounds better than the computers onboard sounds, but, the out of the box sound is, haha, you guessed it. Sounds primitive and needs tweaking.

Assuming it picks the best sounds from HC or SQ, or shouldn't I assume that, I imagine it would be best to tweak the sounds directly on HC or SQ so I can try the same settings on OMB.

Would this be the way to go expert tweakers?

I would have to say so far, it sounds a lot different than my Tyros 2, or my former PSR2000 to say the least.

Scott

#309543 - 07/23/06 07:09 PM Re: Some success with Live Styler and Hypercanvas/Super Quartet
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Scott, if you are using Yamaha styles you will then need to change the style voices to conform to the GM or GS format if your using Roland Wavetables. Plus you have to ensure that the effects are working properly. Another area to tweak is the drums, e.g., move all tracks to channel 10 and convert the kits to conform to the GM kits. M. Bedesem's Midi Player II should be helpful in this regard. If not he could modify it to make it work for you.

It is rare for something to work out of the box when it comes to software based solutions. Now there are some soundfont wavetables that are XG compatible and would work better but at a lower quality, e.g., sYnergiGS, etc.

Hope this helps.

#309544 - 07/23/06 08:01 PM Re: Some success with Live Styler and Hypercanvas/Super Quartet
Scott Langholff Offline

Actually now that my wife and I both listed to Live Styler with Hypercanvas, I am thinking it would take a heck of a lot of tweaking to make this sound as good as my PSR2000 or Tyros 2.

I suspect I will want to try soundfonts. OK, are there free ones that are worth trying and/or are the real good (and expensive I'm sure) ones available for free trial demo? Or will that be a matter of 10 different voices beeping every 10 seconds or something like that?

And then, I suppose I will need something else to put these soundfonts in and who knows what else? Any easy tips would be appreciated.

Scott

#309545 - 07/24/06 02:12 AM Re: Some success with Live Styler and Hypercanvas/Super Quartet
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I am delving nto the same thing. I wonder if I could use LS with SFZ(free sample player),loaded with SGM180 ? But then, LS is for GS, not GM , right ?

#309546 - 07/24/06 05:24 AM Re: Some success with Live Styler and Hypercanvas/Super Quartet

My recommendation is to use Live - Styler or OMB connected via virtual cables (Midi Yoke, Maple or others) to a host (forte, console and others). In the host you can install your VST Sampler or Sample Player and load up your Wavetables (soundfonts SGM180, sYnergiGS, and others (Hypercanvas, M-Audio, etc.)). However, many of these wavetables are not XG compatible and as result you need to edit the styles to make them so (drums, voices, effects).

If you don't do this it will sound sad, dry and so on. Pianos will be playing where drums should be sounding. Hands clapping and dogs howling where other prestine instruments should be playing. What do I know? You might like this.

#309547 - 07/24/06 05:27 AM Re: Some success with Live Styler and Hypercanvas/Super Quartet

I should have added that both LS and OMB play Yamaha Styles.....which are XG. If you now use a GM/GS wavetable you will need to edit these styles as I noted in my previous posts.

#309548 - 07/30/06 01:44 PM Re: Some success with Live Styler and Hypercanvas/Super Quartet
Scott Langholff Offline

I see Hypersonic 2 is put out by Steinberg. Did they buy the rights from Edirol?

#309549 - 07/30/06 05:10 PM Re: Some success with Live Styler and Hypercanvas/Super Quartet
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Scott,
don't confuse Hypersonic2 with Hypercanvas.
The names sound so similar , but it's not the same software.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
I see Hypersonic 2 is put out by Steinberg. Did they buy the rights from Edirol?

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#309550 - 07/30/06 05:29 PM Re: Some success with Live Styler and Hypercanvas/Super Quartet
Scott Langholff Offline

Ahhhhhhh. Sometimes my brain needs to catch up with my eyes, usually an instant replay will do it

#309551 - 07/31/06 08:58 AM Re: Some success with Live Styler and Hypercanvas/Super Quartet
cajun100 Offline

Loc: Mill Valley, CA USA
Frank or Rikki:

I understand the XG versus GM issue when using the soft arrangers.

Doesn't Synergis have XG format voice options? Seems to me someone commented on this a while back ... in theory using this soundfont collection would solve at least part of the problem, if one could live with the quality of the XG voices provided? For serious testing this might be OK.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online