SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#309502 - 10/09/06 04:39 AM Re: Windows XP Lite
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Nah, I think Rikki should spend all her time with software. It would keep her away from all that hardware stuff.... On her PC Rikki could always create a Restore point and recover her previous condition....almost always!!!

Besides if it doesn't work Rikki just goes out and buys something new!!!!

On a more serious note....,in general it is worth tweaking the PC for music or multi media. It optimizes performances - more RAM, faster startup - shut down, less disk swapping and so on.

#309503 - 10/09/06 02:10 PM Re: Windows XP Lite
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Thanks Nigel,
I'll weigh up the risks.
I actually use a desktop for internet etc, and a laptop for my music stuff. My music software programs, files etc are backed up on cdroms ( plus in my desktop pc.)
Means I can easily start from scratch again, provided I don't do something strange to the operating system & my windows disappears ( haa haa , eek !!)

Hi Frank, great to hear from you again.
I always do a restore point before adding or deleting programs , utilities etc ( so far so good)
The software you mentioned above , is that designed for computer dummies like me to enable them to remove stuff from the computer , & then restore it back to prior state , just in case the stuff removed causes unseen consequences to other programs on the pc??

best wishes
Rikki
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:
Nah, I think Rikki should spend all her time with software. It would keep her away from all that hardware stuff.... On her PC Rikki could always create a Restore point and recover her previous condition....almost always!!!

Besides if it doesn't work Rikki just goes out and buys something new!!!!

On a more serious note....,in general it is worth tweaking the PC for music or multi media. It optimizes performances - more RAM, faster startup - shut down, less disk swapping and so on.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#309504 - 10/09/06 06:49 PM Re: Windows XP Lite

Rikki, you would still need to be very careful with a program such as that. You can remove things which are essential to other parts of the operating system. If it is removed you can't restore it. Also, anytime you mess with the registry you can get into difficulty....so be careful.

I guess to back track a bit.....if things work don't fix it!!!!!!

#309505 - 10/10/06 01:36 AM Re: Windows XP Lite
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Frank,
at the moment things are working fine in my new dual core laptop. I've only been using the inbuilt Audigy software for auditioning & setting up my soundfonts for BIAB. I did install Forte in it a while back, but ended up removing it . Not sure if the Audigy software may have been interferring with Forte. I had the odd strange thing happen at times.

I decided to keep using my old Dell laptop with Forte , Live Synth pro, OMB etc midied to the Clavinova. Unfortunately it died again for no apparent reason ( no, I wasn't fooling with the registry haahaa). Second time it's died on me, so I think I'll retire it for good.

It's going to be interesting to see if I can get Forte running smoothly with my dual core laptop with the Audigy software still installed. Don't want to remove it just in case it wasn't the culprit.

I think you mentioned quite a while back that maybe, I could have a problem using Forte with a dual core processor. I did notice the other day that there have been at least a couple of updates to forte that I hadn't downloaded.

Main reason for installing forte again would be, because I wouldn't mind getting Garritons & checking into some of the other vst's.

best wishes
rikki

Quote:
Rikki, you would still need to be very careful with a program such as that. You can remove things which are essential to other parts of the operating system. If it is removed you can't restore it. Also, anytime you mess with the registry you can get into difficulty....so be careful.

I guess to back track a bit.....if things work don't fix it!!!!!!

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#309506 - 10/11/06 05:53 AM Re: Windows XP Lite

Rikki, yes I thought there may be a problem with forte or plugins when used on computers with dual core CPUs. However, recent discussions seems to indicate it may not be a big a problem. Here is one such discussion: http://www.brainspawn.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1944

#309507 - 10/11/06 02:58 PM Re: Windows XP Lite
rikkisbears Offline

Thanks Frank,
I'll check it out. Haven't had a chance to reinstall forte yet. Most appreciated
best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Rikki, yes I thought there may be a problem with forte or plugins when used on computers with dual core CPUs. However, recent discussions seems to indicate it may not be a big a problem. Here is one such discussion: http://www.brainspawn.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1944

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online