SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#309350 - 07/29/06 08:23 PM Using Live Styler with VSTi Plugins??
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
question for Live styler users.
You can now use Live Styler with VSTi plugins.
Is a VSTI an individual instrument like a piano or bass etc
or can synthfont vst or sfz ( loaded with soundfonts ) be used??

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#309351 - 07/29/06 10:44 PM Re: Using Live Styler with VSTi Plugins??
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi Rikki

As I am learning the language of this science I will tell you what I know at my level. I think it will answer part of your question.

I have experimented with Live Styler with Hypercanvas. It works fine for what it is. It automatically loads all the sounds, but things need tweaking which I guess is the norm.

Scott

#309352 - 07/29/06 11:24 PM Re: Using Live Styler with VSTi Plugins??
Scott Langholff Offline

Hi Rikki

I emailed Norbert and here is his answer to your question:

Hi Scott,

GOOD MORNING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> The question is:
>
> Is a VSTI an individual instrument like a piano or
> bass etc
> or can synthfont vst or sfz ( loaded with soundfonts )
> be used??

VST is an interface between any programs and any music tools.
The name of this tolls are PLUGIN
Any programs, that means, this programs are VST Host.
Live-Styler is a VST Host and can communicate with VST plugins.
What is a VST plugin

The best example is B4
B4 is the world best Hammond Organ based on a computer sound.
The VST Host (Live-Styler) now can load a VST plugin
After load this plugin you can play Hammond Organ on 8 channels
with Live-Styler and you have 2 channels with Rhythm.

A VST plugin can be
an instrument (like Accordeon, Hammond Organ, Steinway Piano aso)
an effect synthesizer (reverb, harmonic, distort)
an imitate (Soundfont)
an synthesizer (Edirol, Korg)
a game (Dalay Lama)
and and and.....................

Live-Styler now can use the most plugins. That is the advantage:
With 1 (one) Program you can play today a Hammond Organd,
tomorrow a Pianoforte and this nigth an experiment with a synthesizer.

with best regards
Norbert

#309353 - 07/30/06 05:44 AM Re: Using Live Styler with VSTi Plugins??
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Rikki, the answer is yes and more. You could load Synthfont if you want to use soundfonts. Alternatively, if you want to use very high quality instruments you could use kontakt (load many voices) or B4II, etc. You will find that serious composers and screen writers use these type of samplers.....the 'proof is in the pudding.'

I should have added that you would need to acquire high quality voices compatible with kontakt. Kontakt is only a sampler but it does come with some good voices. High quality libraries include VSL, EWQLSO, Bardstown, Sampletekk and many others. If this is to costly you may wish to choose something at a lower cost, e.g., EW Colossus, Garritan GPO & JABB, etc. While the quality is lower it is still better than what you find in arrangers and workstations.

You would use such voices for your lead or melody parts. The Auto Accompaniment needs some compromises due to loading times, etc. Here you may need to use Hypercanvas, M-Audio, Bandstand (next update hopefully), Soundfonts (SGM180), etc.

The best overall solution remains using Live Styler (or OMB) for accompaniment only attached to a host software. In the host software you can load one VST for the auto accompaniment and another for your lead or melody voices. If you want to play organ you can load a seprate VST for the Bass or use B4II. In addition, you can load a vocal harmonizer VST. All of this can be done in your host software. I strongly recommend this approach.

Plus if you want high qaulity effects you could use what comes with kontakt or other samplers or alternatively install VST effects of your choice. This really brings your voices to life.

[This message has been edited by Frank L. Rosenthal (edited 07-30-2006).]

#309354 - 07/30/06 12:57 PM Re: Using Live Styler with VSTi Plugins??
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Frank
It was my understanding tht Bandstand was recently updated, and provides the faster loading time you were waiting for. Please advise, as I had been holding off until the issue was resolved. http://www.nativeinstruments.de/forum_us/showthread.php?t=37563

Bernie

#309355 - 07/30/06 05:13 PM Re: Using Live Styler with VSTi Plugins??
rikkisbears Offline

Thanks Scott,
for going to the trouble.
I may reload my Hypercanvas & see how I go.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
[B]Hi Rikki

I emailed Norbert and here is his answer to your question:

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#309356 - 07/30/06 05:27 PM Re: Using Live Styler with VSTi Plugins??
rikkisbears Offline

Thanks Frank,
I downloaded Livestyler, but I didn't have much luck getting it to run with Synthfont vst. I better read the manual as I've obviously got my midi settings wrong.

On the earlier version of Livestyler ( a couple of years back), I had issues with it not playing some of my argeggio piano styles correctly wheras OMB played them perfectly. Must see if that problem has resolved itself, if so, Livestyler will be added to my setup.

Thanks Frank

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:
[b]

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 07-30-2006).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#309357 - 07/30/06 06:43 PM Re: Using Live Styler with VSTi Plugins??
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Bernie, yes NI have updated Bandstand and it does in fact load faster. In addition, there is a file which makes it possible to load the wavetable in kontakt. I have not played around with this aspect as of yet.

I think Bandstand still needs to be faster in its loading. This may mean a smaller size wavetable (lower quality possibly) which is still not available. Don't get me wrong I like Bandstand and will stay with it along with kontakt.

Rikki, I have had some difficulties with installing Live - Styler but as I said in the past it works for me. I don't use it as a VST host. I use forte Ensemble.

#309358 - 07/30/06 08:31 PM Re: Using Live Styler with VSTi Plugins??
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Frank,
I just tried it with my piano arpeggio styles again. Pity, LS still doesn't play them correctly so back to OMB.
best wishes
rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:
Rikki, I have had some difficulties with installing Live - Styler but as I said in the past it works for me. I don't use it as a VST host. I use forte Ensemble.[/B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#309359 - 07/30/06 09:41 PM Re: Using Live Styler with VSTi Plugins??
Scott Langholff Offline

Hi Rikki

That may be info Norbert can use to tweak his program. I noticed slight things in intros and endings that played ok on OMB but not LS.

It was just so easy to get Hypercanvas into Live Styler. 'Course it was mostly because of a couple emails to Norbert who asked me to send him a pic of my setup.

I still haven't got OMB going with Hypercanvas or the soundfont thing. I guess I'll just have to take my time and try again as I'd like to give it a whirl this time. My main thing is the new language being used. Until I can relate or associate it with something and then get some results the directions seems like a bunch of stuff on all of this soft approach. I imagine there are a number of lurkers who are in the same situation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online