SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#309334 - 07/17/06 07:58 AM Forte, LS Pro, Sgm180 problem solved
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Thanks Rikki for your help. I was able to resolve the distortion problem, with your help. Thanks.
I still need more testing to figure out which of the soundfonts are better (SynergyGS, SGM180, or SGM128).
The drums appear to be better in SynergiGS then SGM180, but SGM180 has musc better individual instruments. The accoustic piano is not bad in SGM180.
Starkeeper,
"Hi I think your buffer size may still be too low. This is how I got mine to the correct setting. Don't know whether what I'm doing is correct, but it worked for me.
In Forte, I added Live Synth Pro & loaded my soundfont.
Then
Options
Preferences
Audio Options
Audio Driver ( ASIO4All)
Then I tried various Buffer Sizes ( Custom Buffer Settings) instead of Auto. It also tells you the latency underneath for the various settings.
An easy way I could tell whether it was going to distort or not was to check a particular LED.

When you have Live Synth Pro showing, just above on the left hand side there's 3 led's
2 are showing green, the middle one should be blank ( unless you've got a sequence playing.) If it's showing green, yellow & red in stop mode. You're going to have distortion. It should only be flashing up & down when playing a sequence or whatever.
Go thru the various settings I mentioned, starting with 128 and check that led.
You can also set the ASIO control panel within Forte, it's just under the asio icon.

My new laptop & hubby's desktop both have High definition audio cards ( whatever that means) & I seem to get better latency results ( 10ms) with the WDM drivers on board. This wasn't the case with the old laptop.

best wishes
Rikki"

#309335 - 07/27/06 08:13 PM Re: Forte, LS Pro, Sgm180 problem solved
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Starkeeper,
that's great news.
You may find that quite a few of the instruments are identical in sgm180 & sgm128.
The piano's are definately different.
Strangely enough I prefer the smaller sgm128, I've been using it for some of the newage piano styles in BIAB.

While putting my library together, I've only been discarding instruments that sound really bad or are a double up , because sometimes the sgm128 piano sounds better in certain tunes, than the sgm180 & vice versa.
You need an editor or a librarian.

best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Starkeeper:
[B]Thanks Rikki for your help. I was able to resolve the distortion problem, with your help. Thanks.
I still need more testing to figure out which of the soundfonts are better (SynergyGS, SGM180, or SGM128).
The drums appear to be better in SynergiGS then SGM180, but SGM180 has musc better individual instruments. The accoustic piano is not bad in SGM180.
Starkeeper,

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online