SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#30860 - 02/13/03 06:11 AM Re: Two bad things about the SD1 - please leave your thoughts.
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Line inputs are a waste of space in a keyboard WITHOUT speakers. Why put a line INto NOWHERE? That's what mixers are for.
As for Balanced vs UNbalanced line outs .... C'Mon man .... that's not a Pro or NONpro issue. It's a question of practicallity. Most users plug into mixers or snakes or PA's that are within a reasonable distance. The concert setups that require LOOOOOONg cable runs are what DI's are made for. No keyboard manufacturer is building instruments for EVERY possible application. Simple fact is: Balanced outs are NOT neccesary, and line inputs are best coupled with a sound system and speakers.

#30861 - 02/13/03 07:08 AM Re: Two bad things about the SD1 - please leave your thoughts.
Roel Offline

UD,

Amen !

Roel

#30862 - 02/13/03 07:32 AM Re: Two bad things about the SD1 - please leave your thoughts.
Luis.Santos Offline

Loc: Portugal
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
Line inputs are a waste of space in a keyboard WITHOUT speakers. Why put a line INto NOWHERE? That's what mixers are for.

Just tell me why does X4 have a Stereo Line input.

Quote:

As for Balanced vs UNbalanced line outs .... C'Mon man .... that's not a Pro or NONpro issue. It's a question of practicallity. Most users plug into mixers or snakes or PA's that are within a reasonable distance. The concert setups that require LOOOOOONg cable runs are what DI's are made for. No keyboard manufacturer is building instruments for EVERY possible application. Simple fact is: Balanced outs are NOT neccesary, and line inputs are best coupled with a sound system and speakers.[/B]

yeah yeah yeah...., but afterall, on a studio or in a stage would you prefer unbalanced or balanced outputs on your keyboard?!?
I have balanced outputs on my XV88 and I think they have made a good choice using it!

Luis Santos

#30863 - 02/13/03 09:20 AM Re: Two bad things about the SD1 - please leave your thoughts.
Roel Offline

Luis,

Technically spoken there is NO difference in audio-quality .... balanced or unbalanced !
The sound is the same : Tone, brightness, noise, 'power' or whatever...

As long as the quality is equal, for me it is absolutely irrelevant how the signals are 'transported' !

Earlier in this thread I tried to explain why- and when balanced transport is used.
It only makes sense in very low 'energy' circuits IMHO.

Thinking only machines with balanced I/O are 'professional' is SOO wrong !!

Btw Luis : What is your definition of 'professional' ? (what are your minimum requirements ?)

Roel

[This message has been edited by Roel (edited 02-13-2003).]

#30864 - 02/13/03 10:48 AM Re: Two bad things about the SD1 - please leave your thoughts.
Luis.Santos Offline

Loc: Portugal
Roel,

I see your point.

I don't think that only machines with balanced outputs are professional!
I'm just saying and repeating that if SD1 is a professional equipment as really is maybe it should have balanced outputs (Afterall it's more reliable don't you think?).

About the minimum requirements for a professional equipment... I don't have a list but SD1 is a professional equipment as you want to hear!
That's why I bought even knowing about the unbalanced outputs.

Today is your first day with one more year old how is it going?

By the way, do you have the AJ's manual about the SD1? do you know how can I get it?

Luis Santos

#30865 - 02/13/03 02:52 PM Re: Two bad things about the SD1 - please leave your thoughts.
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
Line inputs are a waste of space in a keyboard WITHOUT speakers. Why put a line INto NOWHERE?

However ,

By having the line input , I have been able to mic an extra singer very easily and have used the line input with a guitar player as well .
Dano

#30866 - 02/13/03 11:46 PM Re: Two bad things about the SD1 - please leave your thoughts.
Roel Offline

Yes Luis.... this was my first day being 47 years but I still feel 25

One more time :
a. I did not say the SD1 is 'professional'

b. I'm not the one that wants to hear the SD1 is 'professional'

c. Balanced/unbalanced .... none of them is more reliable. They are different types of transporting electrones.

d. The XLR/Neutrik connectors however, are more reliable than 6.3 mm jacks.

e. Balanced I/O can be realized with jack- and XLR type connectors.

f. Knowing instruments as SD1 are mostly used by musicians that call themselves 'professionals' does not make the SD1 a professional machine !

g. The SD1 is just a consumers product, built with 'standard' components (no military-spec or equal).

h. The sound of the SD1 is fantastic (in my view the best) but this does not make the SD1 'professional' either !

This is my last imput in this thread !

Roel

[This message has been edited by Roel (edited 02-13-2003).]

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry, Ketron_AJ, Tonewheeldude 

Help keep Synth Zone Online