SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#30850 - 02/12/03 06:17 AM Two bad things about the SD1 - please leave your thoughts.
Luis.Santos Offline

Loc: Portugal
SD1 is the greatest keyboard I've ever played, seen and owned, but that are two points where I really don't like it...

|1|: SD1 doesn't have Balanced Outputs. This is bad since a professional keyboard like this should really have it. My XV88 have 4 balanced outs, instead of the 4 unbalanced outs of the SD1. I'd like to use balanced inputs on my mixer and I can't do it with the SD1.

|2|: There isn't a line input on the SD1... Maybe it would be a good thing to add to later versions of the keyboard since sometimes it wouldn't be necessary to take the mixer if only needed to add a CD player or something like that, to the PA.

I would really like that this keyboard had a button (fader type, like the master volume) to control the microphones easily and quickly, when in a live situation. That would be great.

Anyone who owns a SD1, please leave your input about the bad things on this keyboard.

But in spite of all the bad points of this keyboard, I wouldn't trade for another.

Luis Santos

#30851 - 02/12/03 06:38 AM Re: Two bad things about the SD1 - please leave your thoughts.
Roel Offline

Luis.Santos,

You call it 'bad things'..... I do not agree with your definition, they are just non-features IMHO !

1. Balanced I/O is mostly important for microphone-lines to prevent electromagnetical-fields causing noise at the input of the mic-preamplifier.

For line-I/O however, it is slightly overdone to use balanced circuits if the line lenghts (instrument-mixing console) are short. I use inexpensive unbalanced cables from the SD1 (or any other board I ever owned the last 25 years !) to the mixing console and had never interference-noise on the amplifiers' output.
The use of unbalanced outputs is OK for me.

On the other hand you want a (balanced ) line-input on the SD1 ?
This makes me smile ..... this looks 'unprofessional' to me because a keyboard is NO mixing console but a keyboard.

A real Pro uses his mixing console and not the SD1 ..... ha !

The SD1 is not 'bad' at all !

#30852 - 02/12/03 06:53 AM Re: Two bad things about the SD1 - please leave your thoughts.
Luis.Santos Offline

I didn't talk about the line input being balanced, maybe you didn't understand.

As you should know, when a big live uses some kind of keyboard the cable used isn't a 2 or 3 meters cable as you talk about. I've used many keyboards on those situations. Having balanced outputs on the SD1 would be great because no DI box would have to be used.

Having unbalanced master outputs instead of balanced isn't a non-feature, but a big flaw on this professional keyboard!
This keyboard is not a toy! It's a professional one! a small casio is a toy with unbalanced outs but on the SD1.... I can't see why they didn't put them...

I, of course, have a mixer but only use it for the SD1 (with the vocals on the SD1), for monitoring and for a CD player. Weel... when I don't need monitoring, why should I take the mixer out if I had a line in on the keyboard?

Do you now understand my point of view?

And I DIDN'T SAID this was a bad keyboard! if it wasn't I hadn't bought it!
but I still think there are some minor flaws, like these.

Luis Santos

#30853 - 02/12/03 06:54 AM Re: Two bad things about the SD1 - please leave your thoughts.
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
You could run a line into the 2nd microphone
input .

Speaking of mixers , I just bought a new one last night . A behringer UB1204FX-pro for Under $210.00 . This mixer is perfect for my application .

dano

#30854 - 02/12/03 07:42 AM Re: Two bad things about the SD1 - please leave your thoughts.
Roel Offline

Dear Louis,

Again we have a misunderstanding :
I use the definition 'line'-input/output when the levels are about 300 mV. (mic-inputs have a level of about 3-5 mV)

Sometimes I too perform using a 5 meter cable to my stagebox, followed by a 25 meter multi-cable and at the end a mixer..... without problems.

During the 35 years being a 'musician' and electronic engineer I never saw organs or keyboards with balanced outputs..... and believe me I saw/repaired/modified/owned many !! (Korg, Roland, Wersi, Hammond, Technics, Solton, Ketron etc.)

By the way : It's my birthday today ! (47)

Sure I see your point but I still don't see it as a real flaw..... I'm sorry for that.

Roel

#30855 - 02/12/03 09:50 AM Re: Two bad things about the SD1 - please leave your thoughts.
Luis.Santos Offline

and by the way...
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

I own a Roland XV-88 with 4 separate audio outputs (just like the SD1) and they're balanced, that's why I'm comparing both!

Congratulations one more time.

Luis Santos

#30856 - 02/12/03 09:54 AM Re: Two bad things about the SD1 - please leave your thoughts.
ReneT Offline

Loc: NL
Roel van harte gefeliciteerd met je 47e verjaardag!

Congrats from Rene Timmermans ( since 1,5 years "almost" buying a SD1)

#30857 - 02/12/03 10:49 AM Re: Two bad things about the SD1 - please leave your thoughts.
DAN.2000 Offline

Loc: FRANCE
ok I see!
If you buy a professionnal keyboard, you want all professional!
Sometimes, I'm very not happy, when i see that 256 Mo ram and powerful processors cost few dollars, and in a professional keyboard as SD1, they have a very limited memory for the OS, And they are searching how doing new features in this small memory.
and 16 Mo for the Sampler!! Why 16 ??? I give you more Money Mr ketron!! Why 16? 256!
The polyphony ... same thing...
the technology exists! and standards evolute.

I'm OK for the balanced output for example.

Ok, I have all: mixers reverb... and sometimes I'm doing a little party, and it's very very cool to not plug all, and just with the keyboard, all sounds!!

last night, for the cd player, i plug all: mixer + reverb + cables...

Have you sometimes plug au cd player in the input 2 of the SD1? ok is just mono why not stereo in a futur keyboard??

And now let me dream.
I see a lot a MP3 players smalllll!
why with the 6GO Hard drive of the SD1...
Is possible to play MP3 files in a futur version of the OS?
And if you say that it's not possible (I can understand)... The SD1 can plays wav files...
Why not let us play a big wav file of a song... without charging into memory, such as a computer...? and bybye the CD player...

OK OK OK OK sory for my english )

Dan from France

Dan
https://www.varranger.com

#30858 - 02/12/03 12:30 PM Re: Two bad things about the SD1 - please leave your thoughts.
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Happy Birthday, dear Roel!

#30859 - 02/12/03 06:41 PM Re: Two bad things about the SD1 - please leave your thoughts.
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Quote:
Originally posted by DAN.2000:
ok I see!
If you buy a professionnal keyboard, you want all professional!
Sometimes, I'm very not happy, when i see that 256 Mo ram and powerful processors cost few dollars, and in a professional keyboard as SD1, they have a very limited memory for the OS, And they are searching how doing new features in this small memory.
and 16 Mo for the Sampler!! Why 16 ??? I give you more Money Mr ketron!! Why 16? 256!
The polyphony ... same thing...
the technology exists! and standards evolute.

And if you say that it's not possible (I can understand)... The SD1 can plays wav files...
Why not let us play a big wav file of a song... without charging into memory, such as a computer...? and bybye the CD player...

OK OK OK OK sory for my english )

Dan from France

Hello Dan ,

The way Ketron utilizes the hard drive is very unique , even to this day .

48megs dedicated to the sound ROM . Soon 4.0 will add more and better sounds "Free" . They have talked about upgrading the polyphony to 128 .

I did play 4.0 at winter NAMM show . I think SD1 owners will be very , very happy .

I think the next keyboard Ketron makes will utilize a 20/40 gig hard drive and have longer audio recording via the hard drive .

Dano in Baltimore Md .USA

------------------
Piano Man's Music City
624 Frederick Rd .
Catonsville Md. 21228
410 747 0200
danosmusic@yahoo.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry, Ketron_AJ, Tonewheeldude 

Help keep Synth Zone Online